Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wick High School - Site debate (merged threads)

typical Wickers, ready to down something before they even know the facts. You will all harp on about it and make a fuss, the money is only available until 2016 and when you have all stopped whinging and finally decided on something the money will no longer be there.
    Scottish by birth, British by law,Highlander by the grace of God.

Quote Originally Posted by katarina View Post
    What about the land at thistle park? I thought that belonged to the council?
    Katarina if you mean the ground between the old coastguard houses and Thistle Park I think that site has been designated for houses. In fact I'm sure I heard that work is to start there shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by plutonio View Post
    ... and when you have all stopped whinging and finally decided on something...
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by fender View Post
    Yeah sure that would make an ideal spot for a new school!!!
    More negative sarcasm with nothing worthwhile brought to the table.

I wonder if anyone has considered the effect that building the school on the Bignold will have on the existing drainage system.
    This system was upgraded in the late 60`s the entire length of South Road and Francis Street. The length of Northcote St was also excavated. It is most likely now running at the top end of its capabilities what with the construction of Homebase etc.
    The original field where Lidls car park is now, acted as a sort of attenuation sump that allowed the standing and drains water to dissipate over a period of time that alleviated any sudden strain on the drainage system incurred by heavy rainfall/meler.
    I can not say for sure how the effect of a school population of several hundreds feeding into this already taxed system five days a week will pan out, but it can`t be good.
    It is also worth noting that the bottom half of the park and the bit across from the Childrens Home is a quagmire after even a few days rain. This would also be an additional hurdle to a new build there.
    This post is not meant as an anti Bignold one, just a few thoughts I had on the subject. It may even be that this has been considered but I haven`t seen it written or discussed anywhere.
    The main thing is a new school is built that satisfies all criteria and does not impact adversly on any surrounding area.

I see from today's Groat that Prof Iain Baikie has expressed concern that the matter may already be a "Done Deal", with a Highland Council meeting due four days before the public get a chance to ask questions in the Assembly Rooms. He also mentioned that the postcards they have been using to gauge opinion have shown a 93% figure AGAINST the Bignold Park as the site for a new School. Still, when did Democracy ever matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    Katarina if you mean the ground between the old coastguard houses and Thistle Park I think that site has been designated for houses. In fact I'm sure I heard that work is to start there shortly.
    Yes that's where I mean. I was under the impression that it belonged to the council and was for council houses way back when. Then the council stopped building houses. If private houses are going to be built there, has the council sold the land? If so, why? when they knew a new school was in the offing? And why does the powers that be constantly want the bignold for something other than a park? Can't they see a bit of green without wanting to build on it? And someone else mentioned drainage. There certainly does seem to be a problem in that area. the last two years the south road, AND the graveyard have been flooded. When the nold was built there was a drainage problem that had to be rectified. Surely adding adequate drainage would greatly increase costs? Or is this something that will raise it's head during the build? Unfortunately to my great regret I will be away during the public meeting.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Yeah sure that would make an ideal spot for a new school!!!

sarcasm aside, fender's got a point, building a school next to the cliffs isn't ideal (i wouldn't want to be the one who has to get the ball when i blooter it out the pitch)

but can i draw attention to the new(ish) high school at Kinlochbervie ...

location will always be an issue, but it's what inside that really matters.

Kinlochbervie High School is an amazing place, and (eventually) Wick's will be as well.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    I see from today's Groat that Prof Iain Baikie has expressed concern that the matter may already be a "Done Deal", with a Highland Council meeting due four days before the public get a chance to ask questions in the Assembly Rooms. He also mentioned that the postcards they have been using to gauge opinion have shown a 93% figure AGAINST the Bignold Park as the site for a new School. Still, when did Democracy ever matter?
    93% of who, not those that live around the park by any chance? I live in Wick ,have grandchildren who will go to the new school. I've not seen any postcards. An opinion poll is only as good as the folk you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by evelyn View Post
    I wonder if anyone has considered the effect that building the school on the Bignold will have on the existing drainage system.
    This system was upgraded in the late 60`s the entire length of South Road and Francis Street. The length of Northcote St was also excavated. It is most likely now running at the top end of its capabilities what with the construction of Homebase etc.
    The original field where Lidls car park is now, acted as a sort of attenuation sump that allowed the standing and drains water to dissipate over a period of time that alleviated any sudden strain on the drainage system incurred by heavy rainfall/meler.
    I can not say for sure how the effect of a school population of several hundreds feeding into this already taxed system five days a week will pan out, but it can`t be good.
    It is also worth noting that the bottom half of the park and the bit across from the Childrens Home is a quagmire after even a few days rain. This would also be an additional hurdle to a new build there.
    This post is not meant as an anti Bignold one, just a few thoughts I had on the subject. It may even be that this has been considered but I haven`t seen it written or discussed anywhere.
    The main thing is a new school is built that satisfies all criteria and does not impact adversly on any surrounding area.

A very interesting point, wasn't there flooding on the south road a few years back ? Has the drainage scheme been upgraded since ? Is there capacity for all these developments?

Thumbs up

Meeting on 24th June - see here -http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/committees/thehighlandcouncil/2010-06-24-hc-ag.htm

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcounc...6-24-hc-ag.htm

(b) General Fund Capital Programme Review

There is circulated Report No. HC-12-10 dated 16 June 2010 by the Depute Chief Executive and Director of Finance which sets out the conclusion of the Capital Programme review process covering the 5 years 2010/11 to 2014/15 and includes the Administration’s prioritised list of capital projects for that period.

Members are invited to:-
    (a) agree the prioritised list of projects (annex 1) and existing projects (annex
    4) as the basis for the Council’s Capital Programme 2010/11-2014/15;
    (b) agree the allocation of £0.348m from the 2010/11 Capital Discretionary
    Fund for the Pulteneytown People’s Project;
    (c) agree a final decision on affordability is taken once funding support for
    capital is clarified later this year;
    (d) note that with anticipated reductions in capital funding, it is expected a
    final decision on affordability will require the prioritised projects to be
    reviewed and not all projects will be affordable or deliverable within the 5
    years of the Programme; and
    (e) note that consideration of the next 5 years of the Capital Programme,
    covering 2015/16 onwards, will take place in February/March 2011.

I think there might be the chance that the new Wick High School project might get a wee mention somewhere in the discussion at this point in the agenda. If you're in the know about these things Fender please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Venture; 19-Jun-10 at 10:35.

It's important that the people of the town have the freedom and ability to express their opinion about where the new school should be built and they shouldn't be railroaded into a decision by threats or intimidation by the HC or anyone else.
    This is a big decision, which will have an effect on our town for years to come. We should be given the time and space to consider the options and put our points of view forward. That doesn't mean sitting for years whinging as someone said. It's taking the time to do this properly. Why should this be sprung on folk and a decision demanded immediately? If the monies have been allocated, they've been allocated. It's like one of those awful market stalls where they tell you you can buy something for a tenner but only in the next five minutes and then it turns out to be broken when you get it home!
    The councillors are our 'elected' representatives. That means they are supposed to take our views into account: they represent us! We elected them. That's the whole point of a democracy. I think the townspeople of Wick are intelligent enough to consider everything and make a good decision. I think all the rubbish decisions that have been made in the past, such as the demolition of the Henderson Memorial, were not made by the people of Wick.
    Away and haunt a hoose

Hilarious. And we'll be looking forward to the same level of community concern when the new school is built.
    For example, kids who are well-behaved and hard-working. No bullying. A decent position in the leaugue tables. Parents interested in their child's schooling. Parent council meetings full to overflowing. Local companies fighting to support work experience programmes.
    Aye, Right!
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    Hilarious. And we'll be looking forward to the same level of community concern when the new school is built.
    For example, kids who are well-behaved and hard-working. No bullying. A decent position in the leaugue tables. Parents interested in their child's schooling. Parent council meetings full to overflowing. Local companies fighting to support work experience programmes.
    Aye, Right!
    So, your position is that the parents of Wick High School pupils don't care about their education, their behaviour or their futures? All of them? That's not my experience.
    Sometimes folk don't attend meetings because they feel as if their opinion doesn't matter, or that they're not 'clever' enough to take part. It takes effort on the part of a community to come together to make a decision that's right for the town and I agree, it'll be hard work to make it happen. But hey, I'm a glass half full type of person. I believe in seeing the best in my community and our young people. Although not directly involved in this subject, I'll make sure I attend the public meeting.
    I'd encourage everyone else to do the same and prove that we do care and Tubthumper can have his faith in humanity restored
    Away and haunt a hoose

93% of who, not those that live around the park by any chance? I live in Wick ,have grandchildren who will go to the new school. I've not seen any postcards. An opinion poll is only as good as the folk you ask.
    Wick High School Pupils and teachers were both asked and were largely, almost unanimously in the case of the teachers, in favour of the new school being built behind the existing school. God forbid that the people who will actually be using the new facility should have a say in the matter!!

Quote Originally Posted by glaikit View Post
    It's important that the people of the town have the freedom and ability to express their opinion about where the new school should be built and they shouldn't be railroaded into a decision by threats or intimidation by the HC or anyone else.
    This is a big decision, which will have an effect on our town for years to come. We should be given the time and space to consider the options and put our points of view forward. That doesn't mean sitting for years whinging as someone said. It's taking the time to do this properly. Why should this be sprung on folk and a decision demanded immediately? If the monies have been allocated, they've been allocated. It's like one of those awful market stalls where they tell you you can buy something for a tenner but only in the next five minutes and then it turns out to be broken when you get it home!
    The councillors are our 'elected' representatives. That means they are supposed to take our views into account: they represent us! We elected them. That's the whole point of a democracy. I think the townspeople of Wick are intelligent enough to consider everything and make a good decision. I think all the rubbish decisions that have been made in the past, such as the demolition of the Henderson Memorial, were not made by the people of Wick.

In all fairness to the councillors who were present at the stakeholders meeting offered to have the decision which is due to be made at Augusts full council meeting delayed Not by long, as time is money and inflation will start to eat into whatever money is set aside for the project.The longer they take to decide to start the build no matter where its going to be the less distance that same money will stretch also many things can happen change of political climate government and the money which is not yet in the bank may never appear.

Quote Originally Posted by plutonio View Post
    typical Wickers, ready to down something before they even know the facts.
    I think you will find that the proposal to site the new school at the Bignold Park is a FACT. If that happens the sale of the old school and grounds by HRC will also be a FACT.

Typical posters, don't know their facts from their elbows

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    In all fairness to the councillors who were present at the stakeholders meeting offered to have the decision which is due to be made at Augusts full council meeting delayed Not by long, as time is money and inflation will start to eat into whatever money is set aside for the project.The longer they take to decide to start the build no matter where its going to be the less distance that same money will stretch also many things can happen change of political climate government and the money which is not yet in the bank may never appear.
    Plans to build on the Bignold Park were always going to be met with objection. If time and resultant value for money ARE so important, then why the hell go down a road that is going to eat away at those parameters? Would it not be best to follow the path of least resistance?

The way I see it, a new School at the rear of the existing site is either doable or it isn't. Costs have been drawn up for both options and the amounts are almost identical. From what I see listed as the options for consideration at the drop in session, specifications look the same. That begs the question as to what we are actually debating about here? Some have put forward that we are accepting a lesser school if we build at the current site, others have said it is to do with roads/access. Call me a sceptic but I have this old-fashioned notion that money is at the root of it. Highland Council have to foot the bill for the difference between money granted and the total cost and the difference between the two sites in contention is that the old school and land CAN be sold.

Thumbs down

Wick High School Pupils and teachers were both asked and were largely, almost unanimously in the case of the teachers, in favour of the new school being built behind the existing school. God forbid that the people who will actually be using the new facility should have a say in the matter!!
    My aren't you well versed. Where did YOU get these facts from?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast