Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wick High School - Site debate (merged threads)

Default Wick High drop in session

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcounc...0-06-15-01.htm

It would be a good idea for folks to go along to the drop in session advertised in the above link and view what is proposed and to talk to the people involved directly.

Ask as many questions that you can think, get the answers to those questions from the people who can answer you and if not they can look into it and get back to you, hopefuly.

This would be the best place to try to get as much information as possible as this is the group of people involved with the proposed sites.

Oh and I forgot to say you can also let them know what you think about it and what you would like to see.
    Last edited by Alice in Blunderland; 16-Jun-10 at 17:40.

I sense that the Highland Council are painted as the enemies of right-thinking Wickers here...
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

I think you may find that it is cancelled anyway.

I heard on the news that the government is putting all school building on ice. It would seem logical that the Scottish assembly would do likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    Try living in an inner city with no green in sight and you realise that any stretch of grass is an oasis. All it takes is a football, a picnic blanket and/or an imagination to provide respite from the concrete jungle. We have very little of such in this town so why let it be pissed away?
    We dont live in an inner city tho Scorrie, this is Wick. I dont want the new school built on the Bignold thats for sure but it most definitley isnt a beautiful park, the riverside is bonnier with the tide in.

I like the idea of the new school being constructed on the brighter side of the town, behind the ols bignold hospital is another prime site for it but Id leave the bignold park as it is for all, golfers, fly casters, Kite flying , Dogs running, rugby & of course football- eastend & county league
    Cmey e Scorries

keep yer knickers on, it's no going to happen ..... wasn't the Bignold Park gifted to the town by Sir Bignold many moons ago ????

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_inkstack View Post
    keep yer knickers on, it's no going to happen ..... wasn't the Bignold Park gifted to the town by Sir Bignold many moons ago ????
    So was Henderson House but that did'nt stop the health board pulling it down to build Caithness general.

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    I think you may find that it is cancelled anyway. I heard on the news that the government is putting all school building on ice. It would seem logical that the Scottish assembly would do likewise.
    I heard that too. It seems like a new school for Wick is too much hassle, we might as well let the government & council spend just a few million doing up the one that's there and keeping the library, museum and pool we have. All traditional parts of the town after all. That way we can keep our empty spaces as well, and a few million can be spent where they really want a new school.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    So was Henderson House but that did'nt stop the health board pulling it down to build Caithness general.
    In July 1903, Sir Arthur Bignold purchased Northcote House and grounds, Wick, which he gifted to the people of Wick to be used as a cottage hospital, in memory of his late wife. He also was responsible for bringing the famous crocodile, who I'm sure we've all sat on at some point in our life, to the library. Not forgetting of course the Bignold Hospital, Bignold Park and Pilot House. I'm sure there is also a Bignold Park in Kirkwall that he also donated.
    Last edited by Venture; 17-Jun-10 at 07:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    He also was responsible for bringing the famous crocodile, who I'm sure we've all sat on at some point in our life, to the library.

the blonde one with the glasses ?

i've never sat on her, not sure if she'd allow me to, maybe she lets the bairns do it during their story hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post
    We dont live in an inner city tho Scorrie, this is Wick. I dont want the new school built on the Bignold thats for sure but it most definitley isnt a beautiful park, the riverside is bonnier with the tide in.
    What I am saying is that you often don't miss something until it is taken away. The park doesn't have to be beautiful to play football, or any other game, on it. Perhaps more effort could be put into making the Bignold more attractive but will be academic if it is lost to school buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcounc...0-06-15-01.htm

It would be a good idea for folks to go along to the drop in session advertised in the above link and view what is proposed and to talk to the people involved directly.

Ask as many questions that you can think, get the answers to those questions from the people who can answer you and if not they can look into it and get back to you, hopefuly.

This would be the best place to try to get as much information as possible as this is the group of people involved with the proposed sites.

Oh and I forgot to say you can also let them know what you think about it and what you would like to see.
    Talking of the drop in session, I saw it mentioned on the Groat Website today. I also noticed something that seems greatly at odds with all the talk of compromise/losing this/losing that, which was put forward by some who prefer the Bignold Park as a location.

I quote the following from the Groat website:-

"The options up for consideration are:

* Construction of a new school on the current playing field to the rear of the premises with community facilities including a 25 metre, six-lane swimming pool, a community library and a performance venue.

* Building a new school at Bignold Park with community facilities including a 25 metre, six-lane swimming pool a community library and a performance venue."

Now, would anyone care to point out to me the big differences and compromises as outlined in the above?

Not meaning to sound rude but to be honest the desision to where its going has most probably been made and there just going through formalities.

Be very thankful that you getting a new school!
    What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.....

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    Talking of the drop in session, I saw it mentioned on the Groat Website today. I also noticed something that seems greatly at odds with all the talk of compromise/losing this/losing that, which was put forward by some who prefer the Bignold Park as a location.

I quote the following from the Groat website:-

"The options up for consideration are:

* Construction of a new school on the current playing field to the rear of the premises with community facilities including a 25 metre, six-lane swimming pool, a community library and a performance venue.

* Building a new school at Bignold Park with community facilities including a 25 metre, six-lane swimming pool a community library and a performance venue."

Now, would anyone care to point out to me the big differences and compromises as outlined in the above?
    Exactly why I was saying go along to the drop in session and ask the questions which are coming to you to the people who should have all the information and hopefully answers to hand.

Quote Originally Posted by telfordstar View Post
    Not meaning to sound rude but to be honest the desision to where its going has most probably been made and there just going through formalities.

Be very thankful that you getting a new school!

According to what was being said at this weeks meeting the decision has not been made and is not due to be decided on until August.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    According to what was being said at this weeks meeting the decision has not been made and is not due to be decided on until August.
    Oh Alice I thought you knew better.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    Oh Alice I thought you knew better.
    Time will tell ............

Quote Originally Posted by cuddlepop View Post
    If it means your losing the only greenfield site in Wick to build the school then I'm sure they have to replace it,like for like.
    that will never happen! Wick will grow, and we NEED green areas. Let's fight to keep them.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    In July 1903, Sir Arthur Bignold purchased Northcote House and grounds, Wick, which he gifted to the people of Wick to be used as a cottage hospital, in memory of his late wife. He also was responsible for bringing the famous crocodile, who I'm sure we've all sat on at some point in our life, to the library. Not forgetting of course the Bignold Hospital, Bignold Park and Pilot House. I'm sure there is also a Bignold Park in Kirkwall that he also donated.
    He must be birlin' in his grave!

What about the land at thistle park? I thought that belonged to the council?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by katarina View Post
    What about the land at thistle park? I thought that belonged to the council?
    Yeah sure that would make an ideal spot for a new school!!!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast