Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Skype status

Default Skype status

I can't find a sensible explanation of status anywhere on the Skype site and looking at the Forum it seems others have problems with this. Does anyone know exactly what each Status is meant to mean and how they work?

I am set to show Away after 5 mins. inactivity but it doesn't work so I'm permanently online unless I change it manually. Also I get messages popping up saying someone is online although their status shows as Away?

What is the difference between Invisible and Offline?

Does Do not Disturb mean you can't contact someone or just that they would rather you didn't?

What is the difference between going Offline and Quitting?

I am so confused
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

When you set your status to Appear Offline, it pretty much means that to everyone else your offline, you wont show up as "online" on anyone else's skype.
    It just allows you to see still what's going on without being bothered.

The other status are pretty pointless really. They're like having DO NOT SPEAK TO ME, but still being online; you may as well just be logged off!

Hooray - I thought I was about to set a record for the only question with no answers . Still wish the Away status worked as it's meant to. I forgot to Quit one night and got a message next morning telling me to go to bed.

Can't see the point of getting an alert saying someone is online when their status is showing as Away or Do not Disturb - weird.

Thanks for replying - glad someone else thinks it's mad.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.