Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: The cutting edge of communication technology cannot be BT Broadband

Default The cutting edge of communication technology cannot be BT Broadband

Bit of Background info; my BT Broadband has never been great. I’m situated about 4 miles from the Barrack telephone exchange.

Last November my Assured Rate IP Profile was 500 Kbps and I was getting a download speed of about 441 Kbps. At the beginning of this year my Assured Rate IP Profile dropped to 350 Kbps and I was then getting a download speed of about 310 Kbps. Yesterday my Assured Rate IP Profile dropped to 250 Kbps and I’m now getting a download speed of about 216 Kbps. I use BT's own speedtester.
    This morning I couldn't even connect to BT's speedtester.
    Is anyone else having problems with BT?
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Me too. Just for comparison if I purchase and download a film from the net here it can take 3 days for it to download. If I download at my mum's in Cheshire, using the same alleged capacity it takes 25 minutes!
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

BT, best not get me started on them. Needless to say home broadband is one in a long list of things they can't do - it's like they hire for incompetence.

You might want to run a check here to see if you can get a BE line as opposed to a BT line. BE are much better even over longer distances using something called Annex M.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    BT, best not get me started on them. Needless to say home broadband is one in a long list of things they can't do - it's like they hire for incompetence.

You might want to run a check here to see if you can get a BE line as opposed to a BT line. BE are much better even over longer distances using something called Annex M.
    BE can't offer their 24meg service to me While off searching (desperate to get away from BT!) I came across Eclipse, offering 24meg. Never heard of them before, even though they have been going since 2004. Do you have any experience of them?
    Last edited by Leanne; 14-Jun-10 at 15:51.
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ