Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Viking Motors

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Its not exactly rocket science these days, modern cars rarely, if ever actually break down. Most work is servicing or replacing worn out components. If they do break down, instead of thirty years experience you just need to plug in the correct software and it tells you whats wrong.

None of the above applies if (like me) you have an Alfa Romeo. Then the last person in the world you want looking at it is an Alfa qualified technician!

sorry ducati,have to say thats rubbish,why is it that people think the'computer fixes it',this is only true if vehicle faults lie in software faults and require an update to fix,otherwise the computer doesnt fix anything,it may give a fault code and a direction to start looking at,but thats it,it still takes that experience to trace and rectify,so its not as simple as people think

Its not exactly rocket science these days, modern cars rarely, if ever actually break down. Most work is servicing or replacing worn out components. If they do break down, instead of thirty years experience you just need to plug in the correct software and it tells you whats wrong.

None of the above applies if (like me) you have an Alfa Romeo. Then the last person in the world you want looking at it is an Alfa qualified technician!
    When you plug in the computer all it does it gives you an error code and indication were to start fault finding it doesnt tell you whats wrong you still have to be able to read wiring diagrams to diagnose the fault properly so your not guessing.
    A modern mechanic servicing and replace worn parts thats the easy bit its all about being good diagnosing faults thats whats important.
    It is starting to get to the point were u will have no choice but to go to the dealers because every dealer is using there own special design lead thats not compatabile with anything else there own software and there electronics is different from other dealers and thats what makes it hard for people to start up there own business.
    The proper way to diagnose faults is u plug the laptop into the vehicle you get the fault code you then have to get the service manual you look up the code and then you follow the steps in the manual on how to diagnose the faults and you have to no how to read diagrams and no about electrics thats how you do it because if you look at a service manual it would shock you on how much theory there is in the book you could never absorb all that info thats why the service manual is a cruical part in diagnostics.
    Last edited by EDDIE; 27-Jun-10 at 12:53.

Quote Originally Posted by chiel View Post
    sorry ducati,have to say thats rubbish,why is it that people think the'computer fixes it',this is only true if vehicle faults lie in software faults and require an update to fix,otherwise the computer doesnt fix anything,it may give a fault code and a direction to start looking at,but thats it,it still takes that experience to trace and rectify,so its not as simple as people think
    Nope you misread, I said the software tells you what the fault is.

And it's not rubbish, unlike you I know what I am talking about

On Modern cars the Fault Code and the performance readout identifies precisely the component that is faulty

sorry about all the rasperrys I'm in a bad mood

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    When you plug in the computer all it does it gives you an error code and indication were to start fault finding it doesnt tell you whats wrong you still have to be able to read wiring diagrams to diagnose the fault properly so your not guessing.
    A modern mechanic servicing and replace worn parts thats the easy bit its all about being good diagnosing faults thats whats important.
    It is starting to get to the point were u will have no choice but to go to the dealers because every dealer is using there own special design lead thats not compatabile with anything else there own software and there electronics is different from other dealers and thats what makes it hard for people to start up there own business.
    The proper way to diagnose faults is u plug the laptop into the vehicle you get the fault code you then have to get the service manual you look up the code and then you follow the steps in the manual on how to diagnose the faults and you have to no how to read diagrams and no about electrics thats how you do it because if you look at a service manual it would shock you on how much theory there is in the book you could never absorb all that info thats why the service manual is a cruical part in diagnostics.
    You can buy universal readers with software for all car makes. Made by tool manufacturers like Snap On for instance. (I believe all car makers have to make the software available). There is a certain amount of standardisation happening at the moment, after all, there are only so many perameters that can be measured.
    A good start if you are starting up a business. My experience is most small garages don't as they tend to specisalise in other areas of vehicle repair.

edit: you may need a few different cables but they are very cheap
    Last edited by ducati; 27-Jun-10 at 20:22.

Smile

You can buy universal readers with software for all car makes. Made by tool manufacturers like Snap On for instance. (I believe all car makers have to make the software available). There is a certain amount of standardisation happening at the moment, after all, there are only so many perameters that can be measured.
    A good start if you are starting up a business. My experience is most small garages don't as they tend to specisalise in other areas of vehicle repair.

lol Ducati,you made me laugh,if you knew so much you certainly wouldnt have an alfa.As far as leads go,everything EOBD compliant has a 16 pin connector for diagnostics etc,so 1 lead usually is enough.and no the software OR computer doesnt and cant fix anything,like i said
    you remind me of the halfords ad',everything only takes 2 ticks and its done ,lol

Quote Originally Posted by chiel View Post
    lol Ducati,you made me laugh,if you knew so much you certainly wouldnt have an alfa.As far as leads go,everything EOBD compliant has a 16 pin connector for diagnostics etc,so 1 lead usually is enough.and no the software OR computer doesnt and cant fix anything,like i said
    you remind me of the halfords ad',everything only takes 2 ticks and its done ,lol
    Twice now, I didn't say the software fixes anything. Read what is written!

What happens is when a car is new only the dealers have the software and leads for it and when the car gets to say 3 years old then there is universal leads and software for people to buy
    Like as i said before it only tells you the fault codes you still need the wiring diagrams and and you still need to know how the system works on that make thats why a lot of back street garages when they get a customer come in with a technical fault they just call in auto electrician he fixes it they put there mark up on it the customer is non the wiser?
    Thats why these days its getting to the stage were if you have a ford u go to ford to get it fixed and so on which i disagree with they quite easly design a car with on board diagnosticss if they wanted to but they dont
    Last edited by EDDIE; 27-Jun-10 at 23:03.

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    What happens is when a car is new only the dealers have the software and leads for it and when the car gets to say 3 years old then there is universal leads and software for people to buy
    Like as i said before it only tells you the fault codes you still need the wiring diagrams and and you still need to know how the system works on that make thats why a lot of back street garages when they get a customer come in with a technical fault they just call in auto electrician he fixes it they put there mark up on it the customer is non the wiser?
    Thats why these days its getting to the stage were if you have a ford u go to ford to get it fixed and so on which i disagree with they quite easly design a car with on board diagnosticss if they wanted to but they dont
    Alfa's break down so often there are about a million suppliers for the leads and software. There are even vendors that have redesigned Alfa's software so it works

Well my vehicle needed taken apart so they could actually see what was wrong with it. I was watching what was happening and it was the most awkward job imaginable, however, once diagnosed the replacement part was ordered and as soon as it arrived Viking Motors foned me and I went back for it fitted, all in the space of 2 days. Pretty rapid I thought. Highly delighted, so much so have put another vehicle in for pre test repairs, won't be going anywhere else from now on.
    you always know what sort of a day its been when it gets to night

Popped my small farm quad over as it wouldn't start and wasn't running properly before neither.
    All fixed, serviced and it never ran better. I am a truly happy guy and my neglected motor bike is going in next.
    Price was extremely fair, couldn't recommend higher !

I seen it stefan!, was there when a took my vehicle back lol, yer right, sterling job they do and proper genuine folk too, I likes that about them, a rarity nowadays
    you always know what sort of a day its been when it gets to night

My Jeep wouldnt start on Sunday morning - battery completely flat! one quick phone call, and he was there in less than 15 mins - anther 15 mins and I was up and running, AND he had checked my battery, topped the water up in it, AND checked my oil and advised me THAT needed topping up as well! All this at 9 am on a Sunday morning! Huge bill? No way! totally reasonable!!!!! 100% reccommended

Glad to be of service happy guy

and thank you to the orgers that have tried us out, business is ticking over nicely thanks to YOU!!!!!
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Tugs I am sorry did not know you had started up business with cars until now. Well done. You never know I may pop around to have you look at my car:-)

Thanks Scout, we will look forward to seeing you
    we're looking at getting quite a sophisticated diagnostic thingy wotsit, if it works out ok and we do get it, then we'll be doing an offer on a diagnostic stest on your vehicle (as long as the software we have covers it lol) for around the £30 mark. we just have to justify a couple of grand on one piece of equipment first!
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress View Post
    Thanks Scout, we will look forward to seeing you
    we're looking at getting quite a sophisticated diagnostic thingy wotsit, if it works out ok and we do get it, then we'll be doing an offer on a diagnostic stest on your vehicle (as long as the software we have covers it lol) for around the £30 mark. we just have to justify a couple of grand on one piece of equipment firs
    t!
    This is one of the main bits of equipment that a Garage needs if there staff are to work on modern cars without it there is little they can do .
    Any garage worth there salt has an up to date system .

Hence we are seriously looking in to it
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bridgeend View Post
    without it there is little they can do .
    er no.
    Renovating and Plumbing work
    Good rates
    07921 193353

Quote Originally Posted by bridgeend View Post
    This is one of the main bits of equipment that a Garage needs if there staff are to work on modern cars without it there is little they can do .
    Any garage worth there salt has an up to date system .

Poppycock!

Viking motors has loads of satisfied customers, myself included, that can vouch for the fact that you are talking out of your rear end.

There is plenty of work they can and have done for plenty of folk.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Aye a good friend paid a grand for a main dealer to leave his motor with the same problem it went to inverness for.
    Fixed by a neighbour with a large shed, spanners and nouse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast