Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A salute to Mr Mo

sarah mosedale Guest

Cool

Yes, Derek's entry to the poetry scene caused a fair few puzzled looks if I remember right... we should also not overlook his contribution to the world of fine art. He was very pleased when, as 'Jackson Pillac', he submitted a work of art to an exhibition at the museum which was accepted... not only that but a photo exists of the queen mother standing in front of it... she was doubtless most uplifted by her encounter with our old side table, spray painted and blobbed on...

Wanted to let folks on the list know that Derek's funeral will be on Monday 26 June, 3pm at Rochdale Crematorium. We also intend to hold a celebration of Derek's life in Thurso in due course.

Anyway, it was wonderful to see that Derek already had a memorial here... thanks

[QUOTE=Deemac]To give an indication of Derek Mosedale's humor, I thought a good illustration is of the computer program that Derek developed to randomly generate poetry (as you would!!). In were fed strings of suitable text and the program generated poems!! Very strange and humorous poems indeed.

Do you have any of Derek's Japanese poetry? If you have, how about posting some?
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Not heard of this aspect of Derek's multi-talented portfolio!!

Please enlighten me.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac
    Not heard of this aspect of Derek's multi-talented portfolio!!

Please enlighten me.
    Poems called "haku's" I believe and I seem to remember reading some.

No, never knew of this interesting aspect.

Possibly if a celebration event is organised - these could/should be featured!!

Derek, I know would approve.

Can we get hold of/see this image of the art piece with the Queen Mother?

sarah mosedale Guest

Cool

The queen mum/Pillac photo was in the Caithness Courier if I remember right (could have been the Groat) so it might be available through their archives. I imagine they must be archiving electronically by now so a search might be possible... regarding the haikus (I think this is the spelling) yes dad got very into these. They are short poems that have to have exactly seventeen (I think) syllables and usually have three lines. A quick search of my premises does not reveal any of dad's but my sister has most of his paperwork and we plan to go throguh it all fairly soon, if any come to light I will definitely share them.

I agree they should be featured at the forthcoming do if at all possible.

I have found a poem of dad's that was featured in Poetry Now Scotland 1991 Vol 1. The cover blurb says almost a thousand poems were submitted and one hundered and eleven were chosen for the book. Not at all sure if dad would want this offering publicised but since it has already been published here we go:

TAN CHIEN WU

One day, riding on a train, I passed through nowhere,
    There was nothing - everywhere.
    The bright, morning sun was black. Beghind lay no track
    And ahead stretched the bleak invisible plain.

Blackness - all the stars are dead - the moon is in ashes.
    The silence - crashes!
    No trees ever grow, no streams ever flow
    And the corpses of dreams lie silent.

Living - dying by the hour - the years are flying,
    Siddhartha sighing.
    The futre has gone - the past not begun
    And the end still seeks the beginning.

Nothing.

Everywhere.

Derek Mosedale

Just to say also that dad's (humanist) funeral was a real celebration of his life and also featured himself playing with House of Jade as well as Bechet, Dolphy, Grateful Dead. Mozart and Moby Grape - we felt Bleached Parrot might be too much for Rochdale Crematorium to cope with We also hope that some sort of reincarnation of House of Jade might be possible at a Thurso celebration of dad.

sarah mosedale Guest

Cool a haiku for derek

Just checked the definiiton, yes 17 syllables, usually but not always arranged in three lines of 5-7-5 sylables. What Derek liked about haikus was that they were so 'democratic' i.e. anyone could join in so long as they could count syllables. Here's one I just penned:

Derek gone? Not so
    all his atoms exist and
    his spirit floats free

Sarah

The poem which you quoted exists on a Bleached Parrot recording called the German Sessions, with Derek reciting it. If you want a copy, let me know.

Gleber/Sarah

Some detail corrections.

The poem you refer to is in fact on the Bleached Parrot recording called 'Chateau plastique' recorded in 1986 by Gleber himself (at Greenlands) and features Franz Stibal on tenor saxaphone (the German).The track is called 'Noah and the protozoa' and was in fact recited by Gleber himself!! I have played this to the great Caithness public quite a few times on Caithness FM (though strangely I got no response!! - can't think why)

Sarah,
    Also thanks very much for your card. I am very pleased to know Derek did not suffer and that some his favourite music was played at his funeral. I have many fond memories of your dad and am still trying to absorb some of the more 'out there(!!)' musical experiences he shared with me. A great honour. I will try and track down the image of the Queen mother with Derek's art.

Wow, writing this, listening to the track in question.

Gleber's JX3P experiments are CLASSIC. A great joy to behold after all this time. Good days, indeed.

Some great sax work also (from Derek and Franz), juxtaposed with the almost 'cruel' simmons electrics.

The poem sounds great recited by Gleber in his moody, dark tones. Given the technology of the day (no Protools here - me lads!!) the production is 'far-out-there.' Pure experiment. (and I love the falsetto vocals Gleber . . . . NOT to be missed!!)

Spiky SDS9 kick's firing off like a fire cracker to the sax hiss of the next track. (Fishing in the wind).

Deemac

Wow, writing this, listening to the track in question.

Gleber's JX3P experiments are CLASSIC. A great joy to behold after all this time. Good days, indeed.

Some great sax work also (from Derek and Franz), juxtaposed with the almost 'cruel' simmons electrics.

The poem sounds great recited by Gleber in his moody, dark tones. Given the technology of the day (no Protools here - me lads!!) the production is 'far-out-there.' Pure experiment. (and I love the falsetto vocals Gleber . . . . NOT to be missed!!)

Spiky SDS9 kick's firing off like a fire cracker to the sax hiss of the next track. (Fishing in the wind).

Deemac
    Ah, these were the halcyon days,never to be repeated .

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Default on behalf of Stan Wolarz

While reading through the foregoing thoughts on the sad demise of Derek Mosedale,I was struck , firstly,by their number,but secondly,by the omissions of appreciation of many facets of an extremely complex character.I too lived in and around Thurso in the mid 1970's and knew Derek and his families well.His immense intellectual and musical talents,his sometimes oh-so-deadpan wit,I think,sometimes concealed a remarkable degree of compassion and forbearance for his fellow-beings,which often translated into thoughtful,supportive,non-judgemental assistance of all kinds – whether providing an ear, a shoulder or a bed for those in need around him – I certainly benefited from this,in a particularly turbulent period of my life.Forbearance was a keystone in his own personal life too – he shouldered burdens that would have crushed lesser men.We played together many times,in formative [for me at any rate] jam sessions and in a vaguely country-rock based band that was just a little bit too experimental for its own commercial good,and we made some righteous music! Derek,it was a pleasure and a privilege to call you friend. Stan Wolarz.

Default here's a tune

called "Memories Of Moledase"

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=4211

it's the 1st performance of the tune taken from the recent Duck Baker gig

enjoy folks or I'll set Deemac on y'all

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Thanks Chobbersjnr, I enjoyed listening to that charming, upbeat number!

Is it really called Memories of Moldase, and not Memories of Mosedale?

Default Mr Mosedale speaks!!

Thanks Chobbers for enlightening me with the knowledge to upload Derek himself transported back to the year 2000 reciting his aforementioned poetry (with a little audio manipulation!!) I hope you all enjoy.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=4212

I have more of this if anyones interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran
    Thanks Chobbersjnr, I enjoyed listening to that charming, upbeat number!

Is it really called Memories of Moldase, and not Memories of Mosedale?
    an anogram of Mosedale is Moledase

Thanks Chobbers for enlightening me with the knowledge to upload Derek himself transported back to the year 2000 reciting his aforementioned poetry (with a little audio manipulation!!) I hope you all enjoy.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=4212

I have more of this if anyones interested.
    mwahahaha LOL lmao

yes aye Deemac that's funky poetry

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr
    an anogram of Mosedale is Moledase
    I realised right away that it was an anagram. I was just wondering if it was intentional or not, lol! Apparently it was!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran
    I realised right away that it was an anagram. I was just wondering if it was intentional or not, lol! Apparently it was!

At the time Derek was named Moledase, the same person named me Lustrehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    At the time Derek was named Moledase, the same person named me Lustrehand.
    Good one, lol! A clever anagram of your surname, and very appropriate too! The dictionary defines "lustre" as "a quality that outshines the usual". Your superb guitarmanship outshines the usual, in my opinion, Gleber2. And Chobbersjnr certainly deserves the title of Lustrehand jnr!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast