Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Would you object?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 57.78%
  • No

19 42.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you object

Default Would you object

if, a neighbour was applying for a shotgun or rifle licence and you were given the opportunity?

This is one of several measures being discussed to ammend current gun legislation.

Yes or no poll.

Obviously, gun enthusiasts will vote no. If you have any aggressive, intimidating or insulting comments keep 'em to yourself.

silly question that has no meaning sorry

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    if, a neighbour was applying for a shotgun or rifle licence and you were given the opportunity?

This is one of several measures being discussed to ammend current gun legislation.

Yes or no poll.

Obviously, gun enthusiasts will vote no. If you have any aggressive, intimidating or insulting comments keep 'em to yourself.
    I count myself as a gun enthusiast, but I would not feel very happy about some of my neighbours having guns.

I would not only object, I would be outraged were one or two of them to get a license.

Default guns

i can't really vote because this depends entirely on the situation. for example, at home i wouldn't object as we live on a farm and there are plenty of legitimate reasons for owning a gun. however down south i live city centre and would find someone applying for a gun license a bit strange however there is club shooting to be taken into consideration.

where i'm going with this slightly rambling post is that it would have to be done case by case and that a blanket yes or no poll doesn't really work
    I'm here for a good time, not a long time!

Yes or no poll.

Yes I would object because I can't imagine any scenario in which any of my neighbours could defend keeping a shotgun in the house.

Excellent question and excellent poll btw.

I too cannot vote - it would very much depend on the neighbour

My current neighbours are lovely and I would have no objections. Neighbours in the past though are a whole other story...
    ˇǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

Yes or no poll.

I echo Crayola's comment; 'excellent question/poll'.
    Doesn't apply to my neighbours (very very old) but I would object, unless they had a good reason such as keeping hens and was held as a last resort after all precautions for the birds protection had been taken..
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Yes or no poll.

Being discussed by who, apart from you?

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Yes I would object because I can't imagine any scenario in which any of my neighbours could defend keeping a shotgun in the house.

Excellent question and excellent poll btw.
    Your neighbour is the best in the land at Skeet and represents GB at the Olympics? I'm surprised Crayola, I credited you with more imagination, and more sense.

aint it funny the people who shout and ball for other peoples freedom are quick to judge their neighbour's right to have a Firearms license.
    What ever next should my neighbour have a driving license?

In the abstract as the question is posed it is really not possible to answer, so I will assume you mean if there is no real reason to object.

In which case no I would not.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Trial by neighbours?

Don't make me laugh.

I'd be more likely to say yes to Adi1's comment about driving licences.

What a bliddy daft idea.

Who am I to decide if one of my neighbours is fit to have a gun?

If I don't object, and they go out and shoot someone, am I then to blame for not doing so.

Nah don't like this idea at all, the police should do the policing, its their job not mines.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    What a bliddy daft idea.

If I don't object, and they go out and shoot someone, am I then to blame for not doing so.

Nah don't like this idea at all, the police should do the policing, its their job not mines.
    She has a point
    ˇǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

I'm confused. What would the basis for an objection be? The applicant's eyes are too close together, the applicant is a grumpy auld git or he/she has the intellect of a gnat!

I take the point, in the countryside the applicant may be a farmer and need the gun for culling vermin. However a 'townie' could have just as good a reason for having a gun, such as sport shooting. After Dunblane the UK target shooting teams has to go abroad to prepare for the Olympics!

Instead of objectors making subjective appraisals of an applicant’s suitability based on the most nebulous of assessments I would suggest, if push comes to shove, some form of psychometric assessment.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    What a bliddy daft idea.

also it could easily turn into well if you don't think i'm fit to have a gun then i don't think your fit to have an extension on your house, so heres my objection to the planners?

also currently people are required to get 2 referee's (i think!) who have know them for 2 or more years..? something like that, possibly more accurate than someone who may have just moved in and not know them at all.

http://www.sussex.police.uk/online_f...ads/frm125.pdf <<for those who are interested this is a form to be filled in by two referee's for any gun license applicant
    Last edited by peedie; 06-Jun-10 at 22:09. Reason: adding a link
    I'm here for a good time, not a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by peedie View Post
    also it could easily turn into well if you don't think i'm fit to have a gun then i don't think your fit to have an extension on your house, so heres my objection to the planners?

also currently people are required to get 2 referee's (i think!) who have know them for 2 or more years..? something like that, possibly more accurate than someone who may have just moved in and not know them at all.

http://www.sussex.police.uk/online_f...ads/frm125.pdf <<for those who are interested this is a form to be filled in by two referee's for any gun license applicant
    That's interesting. It seems a bit pointless though if they will issue a licence even if you have a criminal record

Yes, I'd object.

Who needs a gun in their home?

That's interesting. It seems a bit pointless though if they will issue a licence even if you have a criminal record
    A Firearms licence will not be issued to anyone who has been sentenced to more than 3 years imprisonment, (regardless of how long they actually serve, i.e remission). If someone has been sentenced to more than 3 months up to 3 years they will be prohibited from having a Firearms licence for 5 years. Firearms Act 1968.
    Regardless of the conditions required for a licence anyone who really wanted to keep a gun will keep one, there are plenty of 'illegal' guns in circulation as it is.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by DeHaviLand View Post
    Your neighbour is the best in the land at Skeet and represents GB at the Olympics? I'm surprised Crayola, I credited you with more imagination, and more sense.
    You haven't met my neighbours. If any one of them gets a gun I'll kill him before he kills me!

Joking aside, I don't care how good he or she may be at skeeting I wouldn't want any of my neighbours to keep a shotgun in the house. And what's wrong with the local community making collective decisions on whether it should be armed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast