Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Foxes

Quote Originally Posted by veekay View Post
    Boy I really didn't expect to start such a bun fight. Of course I realised that there are strong feeling on both sides of the 'fox hunting' table and of course I know that keeping livestock has its hazards - my live stock is well fenced in all precautions taken - but foxed still cause havoc they don't actually have to get into the pens, animals sense them being there. All I want is some sort of control like it or not fox is vermin, I bet there wouldn't be such a kick up about rabbits, rats, mice, I was going to say grey squirrel but perhaps not.
    Yeah there would

While we’re on the subject of foxes I have to declare being a teeny bit sceptical about the alleged fox attack on the two baby sisters.

Lots of experts telling us it has never happened before and it would be so far outside even urban fox behaviour as to suggest a very disturbing occurrence. Of course every fox in the area is being slaughtered

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Yeah there would

While we’re on the subject of foxes I have to declare being a teeny bit sceptical about the alleged fox attack on the two baby sisters.

Lots of experts telling us it has never happened before and it would be so far outside even urban fox behaviour as to suggest a very disturbing occurrence. Of course every fox in the area is being slaughtered
    Hmm you could be right - not wishing to cast aspersions on the people - don't know enough. But IF it was a 'dodgy' dog, then this fact might well be hidden, for obvious reasons.. There might well be more to this story later?

'Occasionally the press reports attacks on children that are said to be by foxes, but very often the bite wounds do not appear to be typical fox bites. It is not impossible that a child could be bitten by a fox but, if it occurs, it is extremely rare. In comparison, the risk of injury from domestic dogs and cats is very much higher. For example, in the USA about 5 million people are bitten by dogs each year and 15 to 20 people die from dog bites yearly. Most of the victims are children. Similarly, there are more than 400,000 cat bites each year in the USA. There are no good statistics from Britain, but it is likely that the number of dog and cat bites is around a fifth of those recorded in the USA. Even in countries where rabies is present, humans are much more likely to be bitten by a rabid domestic dog than by a fox.
    The risks of people being attacked by a fox are negligible compared to the risks of being attacked by a domestic dog or cat'.
    http://www.thefoxwebsite.org/urbanfoxes/urbanconflict.html
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Yeah there would

Well ducati I commend you for putting your head above the parapet. OH and I had our suspicions from the start and the more we read reports and hear/saw on the TV the more sceptical we have become.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Yeah there would

I sincerely hope you're wrong about all the foxes in the area being destroyed, D. Bloody ridiculous if that's the case.

And yes, I agree that this 'fox' has acted in such an unusual manner that it makes me question whether it was actually a fox.

Going off at a tangent, I wonder how many 'concerned parents' (who are happy to see all the local foxes destroyed) would have been absolutely furious at the idea a few weeks ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Well ducati I commend you for putting your head above the parapet. OH and I had our suspicions from the start and the more we read reports and hear/saw on the TV the more sceptical we have become.
    'sOK I have a thick head

Not another conspiracy theory.

That's interesting:
    "Fox caught on camera after attack on twins in London"
    A fox was photographed by a police officer just after a suspected attack on twin baby girls in their home in Hackney, east London.
    He spotted the animal through a patio door and took a photo using his mobile phone after the attack on Saturday.
    It is not certain whether it is the fox thought to have mauled the twins.
    One of the girls who was injured, Lola Koupparis, is "a lot better", relatives have said. She is in a stable condition at the Royal London Hospital.
    The nine-month-old is being treated for facial injuries and puncture marks to her arm.
    Her sister Isabella is under sedation after surgery at Great Ormond Street for arm injuries she received.
    The girls were attacked in their cots.
    After the attack, pest controllers set fox traps in the back garden.
    An animal found in one of the devices on Monday was humanely destroyed by a vet.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10276286.stm
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456