Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Foxes

of course chickens can fly...

I'm here for a good time, not a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by peedie View Post
    of course chickens can fly...

Brilliant! Quoting you so we can all see it's wonder twice
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

seriously though i have never seen a chicken (and i have seen a few) able to fly, they fall with style to quote a Mr B Lightyear

although i have to agree with rich what this has to do with veekay looking for pest control i am yet to figure out.
    Last edited by peedie; 06-Jun-10 at 23:08. Reason: had a thought i wanted to add
    I'm here for a good time, not a long time!

Calm doon people, you're making a mountain out of a mole hole !

Chickens can fly btw, depending on which breed they either flap and fall or take off... your orpingtons, locini, are the first variety...flap and drop...lol

I agree that pest control needs to be done if the place is overrun by vermin. We should all know that it can be very different depending on the area, how much vermin is creeping about.

Another point to make: If you have expensive livestock put up expensive fences. Electric fencing is most effective to keep foxes out. They are too stupid to wither dig under or jump over, so it's not all that expensive to keep a field fox free. Strip grazing at a lower level will keep foxes out just fine.

Most people will have had their chickens taken by foxes at some point. We did down south, middle of town, main road... He killed all 16 and although I left them in the garden he only came back for 3 and left the rest to rot.

Up here no problems so far. We don't have rabbits on our 25 acres so not overrun with foxes... egg layers roam freely with a fairly vicious cockerel, expensive rare breeds are behind electric fencing in locked shed...just in case a fox or buzzard get a taste for our birds... dogs are running around barking and keeping predators at a distance. Should a chicken go missing during the day then we just have to live with it, birds of prey have to feed...so do foxes.

BTW, if foxes could read and operate laptops they would probably join in and tell us to get the hell out of their territory....

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    Check out a map - they are in East Cheshire. As a local, I can assure they are indeed known as the East Cheshire Hunt. It helps distinguish them from the the Cheshire Hunt itself. There is animosity and occasionally overlap between the two hunts - calling them the East Cheshire Hunt makes it more identifiable which hunt you are actually following.
    Dig any deeper Leanne and you will find yourself in Austrailia.
    If you are indeed "a local" you will also be aware of the fact that "The Cheshire Hunt" is a completely separate pack from the The Cheshire Forest (which you referred to above) and the North East Cheshire Drag Hounds
    According to the Master of fox Hounds Association there are six
    packs in Cheshire,
    Do you want another go at trying to remember which meet that you "claimed" you went to in order to carry out your "research", after all you have tried three, so you may as well try the other three
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    Dig any deeper Leanne and you will find yourself in Austrailia.
    If you are indeed "a local" you will also be aware of the fact that "The Cheshire Hunt" is a completely separate pack from the The Cheshire Forest (which you referred to above) and the North East Cheshire Drag Hounds
    According to the Master of fox Hounds Association there are six
    packs in Cheshire,
    Do you want another go at trying to remember which meet that you "claimed" you went to in order to carry out your "research", after all you have tried three, so you may as well try the other three
    WTF are you on about? I just stated that?!?!? Please reread what I wrote as I think you have misread it. You have quoted me and then rewritten the very thing that I stated. I think that you are that het up with 'proving' something against me that you aren't thinking straight. What does it matter what pack I went out (once) with anyway. I only mentioned it to state that I found the whole thing a bit distasteful.

Edit - the Cheshire Forest is also sometimes known as the Cheshire Farmers due to there being a large proportion of members who are farmers.
    Last edited by Leanne; 06-Jun-10 at 23:40.

WTF are you on about? I just stated that?!?!? Please reread what I wrote as I think you have misread it. You have quoted me and then rewritten the very thing that I stated. I think that you are that het up with 'proving' something against me that you aren't thinking straight. What does it matter what pack I went out (once) with anyway. I only mentioned it to state that I found the whole thing a bit distasteful.

Edit - the Cheshire Forest is also sometimes known as the Cheshire Farmers due to there being a large proportion of members who are farmers.
    the foul language in youre post is distastefull. try to bow out graceful

Wrong again Leanne, The Cheshire Farmers are also a drag hunt.
    4 down and 2 to go
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    the foul language in youre post is distastefull. try to bow out graceful
    I think that she is hoping that Mods close thread so that she can not be humiliated any further

I think that she is hoping that Mods close thread so that she can not be humiliated any further

how ironic that you'll stick up for the foxes, but will happily hound a fellow human to the ends of the thread for what you perceive as her being a 'fraud'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
    how ironic that you'll stick up for the foxes, but will happily hound a fellow human to the ends of the thread for what you perceive as her being a 'fraud'.
    If "her" is Leanne, then I (and others) have given her several opportunities to retire gracefully.
    If not Leanne who are you referring to? and is it relevant to this thread

Wrong again Leanne, The Cheshire Farmers are also a drag hunt.
    4 down and 2 to go
    Actually I am not wrong. Am I wrong because you say I am wrong? I have been there and got the tshirt - nothing you can say can take that history away from me despite you claiming it didn't happen . Grief all this for saying I went to one lousy hunt!

Edit - at least while you're having a go at me you're laying off the OP now.
    Last edited by Leanne; 07-Jun-10 at 00:48.

While we are on the subject of foxes and farmers, is it not true that the main diet in the countryside for foxes, is not chickens or lambs, but rabbits, rats and pigeons? So by that thinking, if foxes were eradicated, wouldn't the rabbits etc., cause far more damage than any fox could do?

Default leanne

You are a gutsy lady. You've made your case brilliantly and good naturedly. I for one am completely convinced. More and more I am seeing the ORG as being some sort of madhouse. (Whoops, I nearly wrote "hen house"
    Richard Sutherland

Default pigs

Are any of our ORG fox lovers by any chance investigating the aeronautical abilities of pigs?
    Richard Sutherland

Righto before bowing out of this thread I would like to apologise to Leanne if I have gotten at all offensive toward her in any of my posts.
    Fox hunting is a very emotive subject to me and I will never ever agree with the re-introduction of it, however I do understand that Leanne et al are entitled to have a completely different opinion born on their own experience and circumstance.
    In Leannes defence I would have to say that I could not accurately name the hunts I participated in either. Research would probably jog my memory but it was so long ago that if I named it without checking then I would probably get it wrong too.

I suspect Veekay knew what reaction such a thread would invoke and while I am not suggesting that this was the intent of the thread as such I do not feel the need to apologise for hijacking the thread on my anti hunting beliefs.

Many many orgers are obviously affected by the thought of this barbaric sport being acceptable to the public and as such insults are flying left, right and centre.
    That is something I choose not to take part in.
    Last edited by porshiepoo; 07-Jun-10 at 08:08.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

At the end of the day anyone who keeps livestock of any kind has to be prepared to ensure that they are kept safely,or they will lose some,I am NOT saying that Veekay or anyone else isnt keeping their livestock correctly-before anyone tries to pin that on me,but foxes and other animals will take advantage if they are hungry,they are just following their survival instinct afterall,so I guess its a case of making sure you have taken every possible precaution to stop this happening.Yes its expensive,but if you choose to rear animals then you have to be prepared to ensure their safety or count the cost afterwards,its not like foxes are something new we have to deal with x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Woo hoo! And Pegasus calls me a fraud
    I would not go so far as that. I was simply interested that this variation in Pegasus's prose is extremely similar to a previous Org members.
    This 'could' of course, be down to rapid typing, causing missed keys; i.e. typing 'thr' for 'the' - as the letter 'e' is next to letter 'r' et al.

Although not trained I would doubt if this is Dyslexia. (I may be wrong?)
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

I can understand the need to control fox populations. However anyone who thinks a fox hunt is a form of population contol/culling must also think that bull fighting is a means to control cattle numbers in Spain.
    Lets call fox hunts what they are: fun for people. A blood "sport". Enjoyment in the cruel death of an animal. NOT population control.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Boy I really didn't expect to start such a bun fight. Of course I realised that there are strong feeling on both sides of the 'fox hunting' table and of course I know that keeping livestock has its hazards - my live stock is well fenced in all precautions taken - but foxed still cause havoc they don't actually have to get into the pens, animals sense them being there. All I want is some sort of control like it or not fox is vermin, I bet there wouldn't be such a kick up about rabbits, rats, mice, I was going to say grey squirrel but perhaps not.
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast