Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Stephen HAWKING

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    Yeah but it's just a shame they don't have a separate Nobel Prize for advancements in technology - instead it is lumped in with Physics, whether they are true physicists or not There are discussions at the moment to have a separate Nobel prize completely for advancements in technology, thus allowing pure science to keep the Physics, Chemistry and Biology prizes.
    I reckon that anyone who wins the Npbel Prize for physics can be called a physisist.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I reckon that anyone who wins the Npbel Prize for physics can be called a physisist.
    I rekon that they should do another Nobel prize so people who aren't physicist in the strictest sense of the word can earn a prize worthy of them. It's a bit like me entering a horse show with a thoroughbred and winning a highland pony class. I'd be much happier with an achievement where I was judged against my own kind.
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

I will never forget the time Hawking and I were out on the razz the night before he addressed a NASA Convention at the Kennedy Space Centre. We were staying at Disney World. Steve has 'Elvis' privileges at all the Disney locations, (in return for some consultant work on cryogenics he is keeping on ice for now), so he has nocturnal access to all the rides. After the twentieth visit to the Hall of Mirrors we returned to the hotel, whereupon Steve decided to download some rock classics on his lappy while we got settled in at the bar. I warned him he needed to update his firewall and virus software before using the wi fi for any peer to peer. He reminded me he was my intellectual superior and Godlike to many, and went ahead disregarding my advice.

We emptied the bar that night to the hoary beat of Kiss, and trashed the room to the drum roar of Golden Earring. It was fun on an epic scale, although there was some embarrassment when Steve tried to drive his wheelchair into the pool at sunrise and grounded it on the rockery. Still, I suppose it was very rock and roll, until she was truly stuck fast.

Hawking clean wrong and starkers was not the first sight of Florida the Japanese contingent expected as they arrived fresh off their jet to join us for breakfast!

Fair play to them, they assumed it was the custom and were soon all sitting around the rockery nude drinking our stash of Highland Park.

I felt bad when I realised the rockery was mainly populated with cactus. Didn't seem to bother the Japanese though; in fact I would say they enjoyed that aspect!

Amusement over, we barged our way through the hordes of bairns asking, "Hey mister, ain't you hot in that suit?", and motored over to the Space Centre.

We were well late, and I was beginning to worry my pal was not best prepared to address all those luminaries attending.

"Stevey biy, are ye sure you want to go ahead? Ye can cry off wi the usual medical excuses!", I inquired.

"Nae bither man, I have it all set up in Powerpoint, I'll take my usual nap while I play it back. Used the same guff for months, a real crowd pleaser! Yon chil from that one hit wonder band cannae touch me! "Things Can Only Get Better"?? He's having a laff! Doesn't he know wur all doomed??? How they are lettin they regional accents on e science shows? I just dinnae unnerstand. Things are changin man, and no for the better!"

"OK, if you're sure."

Ladies and gentlemen! Please welcome one of the greatest minds in history, Professor Stephen Hawking!!!!!! (Some were looking bewildered when I said Hawking, I am sure they were expecting me to say Fry.)

Anyhow, Steve trundled out to do his thing.

"In the FFFFFFF..........beginning, FFFFFFFFF............."

You could have heard a pin drop, even in space!

I am afraid the rest of the speech is unrepeatable on a family orientated site.

Let this be a warning! Not only is peer to peer illegal when you are sharing copyright material, unless you are very careful you are opening yourself up to all sorts of nasties such as the Gilles de la Tourette virus.

On the bright side, Steve was at last able to vocalize exactly what state he considers we will be in if we do not colonize space!
    Last edited by Boozeburglar; 07-Jun-10 at 18:47.

BB - next time you go out can I play too? I've just had a delivery of 2 cases of wine - I can supply the pre-night tipple

Since there is no device which can process your thouhgts its baffling how that voice thingy works? I havent seen Dr Hawkins tyoing, somehow the software responds to the movement in his eye and cheek muscles. Pretty advanced or what? When he is being interviewed the answers must be repared beforehand? Just a thought .....

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    I rekon that they should do another Nobel prize so people who aren't physicist in the strictest sense of the word can earn a prize worthy of them. It's a bit like me entering a horse show with a thoroughbred and winning a highland pony class. I'd be much happier with an achievement where I was judged against my own kind.
    i finds it strange that you wont just give up when youre in the wrong. a nobel prize winner in physics isnt a physisist cause you say so?

Since there is no device which can process your thouhgts its baffling how that voice thingy works? I havent seen Dr Hawkins tyoing, somehow the software responds to the movement in his eye and cheek muscles. Pretty advanced or what?
    Yep, pretty advanced. Probably even more advanced than your own neural network, going by your posts on here.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    Yep, pretty advanced. Probably even more advanced than your own neural network, going by your posts on here.
    youre the one who keeps sending me red cards with nasty wee cooments.

get a life sonny

youre the one who keeps sending me red cards with nasty wee cooments.
    'Keeps'? I've told you a million times not to over-exaggerate.

And if the cap fits...
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Let this be a warning! Not only is peer to peer illegal when you are sharing copyright material, unless you are very careful you are opening yourself up to all sorts of nasties such as the Gilles de la Tourette virus.
    Nice one BB! In the good old days of minicomputers like the VAX, we would find it amusing to "Marvinize" a colleague's account. Every typed command would get a response from Marvin the Paranoid Android. "Really. Brain the size of a planet, and you want me to do that?"

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    In the good old days of minicomputers like the VAX
    If only I had known!

We just used ours to clean the carpets.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    If only I had known!

We just used ours to clean the carpets.

Aha! We used to stick ads for the VAX cleaners on the side of the computers, along with the slide rule in a fake glass box marked "In event of power cut, break glass".

Here's what will happen if we follow Hawking's suggestion and go off to colonize the other planets.

http://vimeo.com/12079648

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Here's what will happen if we follow Hawking's suggestion and go off to colonize the other planets.

http://vimeo.com/12079648
    Venus is a more likely option...

Whatever happens I am sure the first application of colonizing will be the removal of undesirables.

So perhaps I will be up there somewhere soon.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456