Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen HAWKING

Default Stephen HAWKING

Is he real or is he a fake?
    Seems his latest theory is that there could be life outside our solar system?
    He is coming to Canada to educate us heathens...
    Comments if you wish!

Quote Originally Posted by sandyr1 View Post
    Comments if you wish!
    Are you on about the programs that have been on Discovery? I have watched them all and i find his theorys are absolutely mind blowing!

I think that people like him help us step out of the box a little. Get out of our usual way of thinking. after watching his programs i always wonder what it would be like to find life on other planets, life outside the solar system, time travel etc etc.

I for one would love to meet him. His theorys amaze me
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

I've never heard him described as fake before lol.

Probably one of the cleverest people in the country - and someone who may well inspire lots of people with the way he didn't give in to his condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jevo View Post
    I've never heard him described as fake before lol.

Probably one of the cleverest people in the country - and someone who may well inspire lots of people with the way he didn't give in to his condition.
    Exactly.

Anyway seems like he is nearly more a mathematician than physicist (in early life anyway) and anyone who understands the numbers cannot deny that it is more than likely there is other life out there. Admittedly it is a very rare occurence for the planets and sun to align so perfectly to permit life but with the huge numbers of solar systems out there it nearly must have happened elsewhere.

I cannot actually believe anyone is asking if he is a fake because of this?

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Are you on about the programs that have been on Discovery? I have watched them all and i find his theorys are absolutely mind blowing!

I think that people like him help us step out of the box a little. Get out of our usual way of thinking. after watching his programs i always wonder what it would be like to find life on other planets, life outside the solar system, time travel etc etc.

I for one would love to meet him. His theorys amaze me
    No, haven't seen the Discovery programs....I have heard of him before, obviously a European thing, but I read a recent revalation 'that there might be life outside our solar system'..I even believe that.
    Yes S.J. I realize his condition, and he seems an amazing man but...just some Q's that were brought up in the press!
    I suppose it is just the way the Media profiles people...

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Exactly.

Anyway seems like he is nearly more a mathematician than physicist (in early life anyway) and anyone who understands the numbers cannot deny that it is more than likely there is other life out there. Admittedly it is a very rare occurence for the planets and sun to align so perfectly to permit life but with the huge numbers of solar systems out there it nearly must have happened elsewhere.

I cannot actually believe anyone is asking if he is a fake because of this?
    Am actually asking? Article in the Media about him/ fact or fiction. Nothing too complicated/ not well known here that's all....coming to our Kingdom.

Am actually asking? Article in the Media about him/ fact or fiction. Nothing too complicated/ not well known here that's all....coming to our Kingdom.
    Can you please link to this article?

...Admittedly it is a very rare occurence for the planets and sun to align so perfectly to permit life...
    That's assuming that all lifeforms would require same or similar conditions as Earth in order to survive and evolve of course - I personally would doubt that to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    That's assuming that all lifeforms would require same or similar conditions as Earth in order to survive and evolve of course - I personally would doubt that to be the case.
    Exactly I was going to add that in my original reply.
    It is likely that other lifeforms could survive in different circumstances than ours which only makes it more likely there is other life out there.

Can you please link to this article?
    Numerous articles...but am not getting into an arguement/ just one cannot believe one person's theory without some support.
    I have a satisfactory answer thank you.........
    Last edited by sandyr1; 05-Jun-10 at 15:16. Reason: words

Numerous articles...but am not getting into an arguement/ just one cannot get believe one person's theory without some support.
    I have a satisfactory answer thank you.........
    I do not want to get into an argument. I want to see these articles.
    Well I guess if they exist I will find them on google.

Hawking's theories are not just one person's theories. I doubt you would find many scientists who would disagree with most of his theories.
    It has always annoyed me the way non-scientists use the fact that something is a theory to ridicule it. It's how science works. Until an idea is proven absolutely true it will be a theory. Doesn't mean it is some wacky, crazy, way out there idea.

I have found numerous articles about Hawking's visit to Ontario but none that suggest he is a fake.
    Also I am finding it hard to believe most people in Canada have not heard of him. He has worldwide best selling books and has even appeared in "The Simpsons".

Comments if you wish!
    I wouldn't believe everything he says, he gets a lot of interference from taxi cabs.

But the theory that there could be life outside our solar system doesn't seem too far fetched, statistically it is most probable that there is.

Comments if you wish!
    sandyr1 I can't understand why you have heard so little of the man.
    Stephen Hawking is the greatest theoretical physicist of our generation. Have a look here
    Hawking's view of Aliens? Have a look here
    His books A Brief History of Time (1988) and The Universe in a Nutshell (2001) were best sellers. One of the reasons he wrote them was so that ordinary people would gain better understand of what his mathematic research and theories were.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Comments if you wish!
    Are you planing to see hin when he comes to Canada? wasnt he the pysisist (sp) who had his theory about black holes published? By his own admision he later said there isnt a black hole "in the absolute sense." Another whacky idea he put forward is that us humans must colinize space or face an end to the species. Also I have to laugh at this one ...... global warming would make earth as deadly as Venus.
    he cant beleive in life after death since he said that the human race has no future if it doesnt go into space. kinda sad methinks.

Comments if you wish!
    certainly not fake and one of the most brilliant minds on the planet. If you do not know all about his wonderful theoretical discoveries which have come to pass you must be living on a different planet. His understanding of physics and him it impinges on all of us is mind blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    sandyr1 I can't understand why you have heard so little of the man.
    Stephen Hawking is the greatest theoretical physicist of our generation. Have a look here
    Hawking's view of Aliens? Have a look here
    His books A Brief History of Time (1988) and The Universe in a Nutshell (2001) were best sellers. One of the reasons he wrote them was so that ordinary people would gain better understand of what his mathematic research and theories were.
    Hiya,
    Misunderstanding... I/ we have heard of him, but remember this is a whole other culture..in excess of 300 million people .e.g. in North America we cannot understand why so many people have small noisy diesel engines that costs much more than petrol engines, yes get more MPG, but the diesel is more expensive///and the Europeans cannot understand why we have such big petrol engines..V6/V8 that get 35 mpg. I am sometimes torn over where the 'Real World' is....
    So getting the culture thing out of the way, I have read extensively and have always believed that there could be/ likely be life outside our World.
    So when he comes out and says what I and many other people believe, it isn't such a revelation.
    And being one of the 'cleverest people on the planet' and because it was on the Discovery Channel and the Simpsons & LOL' doesn't really mean that much. I am sure there are people who agree, but there are detractors. BTW....Nowhere did I say that there were any negative vibes on him coming here.
    Also readable is Black Holes and Baby Universes ...&.. Long on fiction/ short on fact!
    Perhaps I put things into a different perspective.....Tariq Alli.....now a respected whatever, was part of the 'New Left'...professional agitator etc etc. Anti the US & Israel, in the 60's. I remember him when I lived in London...just an example of how we can all look at things differently and how people make up their minds. Is he good or not so good!
    And.... 'One of the most brilliant minds on the Planet'? Perhaps/ perhaps not/ who can decide on that which is unknown.....nothing personal in this....just one's thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    certainly not fake and one of the most brilliant minds on the planet. If you do not know all about his wonderful theoretical discoveries which have come to pass you must be living on a different planet. His understanding of physics and him it impinges on all of us is mind blowing.
    No. just don't take as gospel everything thats on the Discovery Channal or the Simpsons!! My turn for levity!

No. just don't take as gospel everything thats on the Discovery Channal or the Simpsons!! My turn for levity!
    Please don't twist my words. I never said you should take everything said on the Simpsons as gospel, I said it would imply he is well known around the world. I thought you were saying he wasn't, so sorry if I misunderstood but I am struggling to understand what you are saying. Maybe if I could read one of these articles I would understand.

Please don't twist my words. I never said you should take everything said on the Simpsons as gospel, I said it would imply he is well known around the world. I thought you were saying he wasn't, so sorry if I misunderstood but I am struggling to understand what you are saying. Maybe if I could read one of these articles I would understand.
    No offence meant and my comment was 'for fun'.....just that we all have different views...The Media can make or destroy a person. Am saying that I personally keep an open mind.......and was wondering about him, but obviously he is lauded in the UK/ we shall see how he does here.....

Perhaps I should not have used the word "FAKE". Seems to get most people in a wrangle!.. BELIEVABLE might be better.....s
    Have to Exit now/ Golfing calls.....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast