Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet Service Providers

Anonymous Guest

Do not use AOL speaking as omone who has worked on isp related helpdesks, for the sake of all helpdesk advisers DO NOT USE AOL.

Default help... please?

AOL is, apparently, easy for 'script kiddies' to hack.

So I'm wary of it...

I'm thinking of changing to Freeserve. For a start... the security's GOTTA be better than AOL's security...

We were hacked a short time ago... was having mega Caithness.org withdrawl symptoms (not)

Anyway... anyone got any opinion on the change? I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say.

Anonymous Guest

Try www.plus.net

they are definalty the best ISP I have been with, with good connection speeds, very reliable and exelent customer support. you also get a free .co.uk domain with thier £15 per month package , plus 250 mb of space with CGI-BIN PHP4 and My SQL database

Hey, I'd make a good sales man eh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jacqueline82
    Do not use AOL speaking as omone who has worked on isp related helpdesks, for the sake of all helpdesk advisers DO NOT USE AOL.
    As another helpdesk adviser, I would agree with this! I would not recommend AOL!

I actually use Freeserve Anytime - and although I know a lot of people would disagree, I think it's great! I have never had any probs with freeserve and have been with them for about a year. My computer is connected for at least 6 hours a day, and longer on my days off. Never had a prob.

(I must be one of the lucky ones!!)

I have tried AOL and BT Openworld but now i'm with freeserve anytime and i think it is the best, i've never had any problems whats so ever and just now on the tv is an offer of the 1st 3mths for £6.99 so thats pretty good

My friend uses GIO i think it is and thats only £7.99 a mth anytime thats sounds even better but i've never heard of it myself!!

Default Internet Service Providers

I recently changed ISP to get free online time and am very happy with Giointernet. The option I chose is £7.99 per month for a max. of 80 hours, which is fine for me. So far no problems connecting and their helpdesk is excellent. It costs but they answer quickly and correctly. Also it doesn't take over your PC, in fact I'm only aware of the change through my longer address and I rarely go to their website. Definitely recommended.

I used to be with Tiscali until they implemented a limit for their users. Now I'm with Activeware, good service, good speed, friendly people, highly recommended.

www.activeware.co.uk

Default internet providers

i use Tiscalli, they are only £4.50 for 5 days a week 8am to 6pm, or £7.99 to include weekends for the same times. anytime is £14 a month. i have been with them for a year and had no problems at all

since i made my post on here i have changed to Tiscali well its been about a year now, i did have anytime at £14 but now i have broadband which is only £17.99 a month, i think its pretty good for just £3 or £4 more than your normal dial up, and it is quick, i am really happy i changed now, i wasn't sure about broadband at first, but it is great!!

Default AOL

AOL, definitely!! Some people comlplain about the Software (which is a bit of a pain on dial up), but if you have AOL broadband (unlimited, high speed, always on) then it is very easy to set up a connection without using their software. You can then get your email through outlook if you want. I use my own WAN miniport instead of the software, and it appears faster. they are also cheap for what you are getting.

As for security, that is not the job of your ISP, that is your responsibility. Anyone could hack yahoo, hotmail etc email with a bit of patience. I run Norton firewall and antivirus, and since using broadband have never been hacked or got a virus. As long as you are prepard to spend a bit of time and money, then your PC can be quite safe. I wish I could say the same about the college PCs!!!!!

Riff

Help - just seen my old post recommending giointernet. Don't touch them. They were fine for about six months but for the past year they have just been abysmal. Their systems seem to be down more than they're up and if I hadn't had a second ISP with pay-as-you-go I would have been in real trouble. They call themselves the UK's leading service provider but I've no idea what that's based on as I don't know anyone else who's even heard of them.
    I've just taken out an anytime contract with my second ISP - fish - and am trying to change to just paying for online time with giointernet but their sales dept. said their systems were down and would I call back in a week! I've heard they're difficult to get out of so am keeping fingers crossed. fish charge £14.99 per month for unlimited time, so far they have been very efficient plus nice and friendly, which you'd expect as they are a Christian site and profits go to Christian Aid. They give anti-virus protection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12