Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Employers !!!!!! i've had enough.

Angry Employers !!!!!! i've had enough.

I'm just soooo fed up.....i have been applying for new jobs for a while now,and am absolutely at my witts end with companies that can't even be bothered to let you know that they have received your application or that your application was not successful in getting to an interview....i mean you spend time putting your application together and writing your covering letter, send it off and wait....visiting the letter box like a kid waiting for the postie. I have had this from the high street banks who have advertised recently, one of which i asked if they would let me know if i was unsuccessful, they assured me they would.....nothing...,North of Scotland newspapers, not only did'nt write to say application was not suitable but then readvertised saying previous applicants need not apply!!!!!! thanks for letting us people who had spent time and money putting one together....
    I think that it should be a stipulation that any employer recruiting should have to inform applicants of the situation, its very dissheartening waiting for nothing.

Anyone agree?

Sorry...rant now over.

I think that anyone who applies for a job and is unsucessful should get notified in writing, after all as you say, you spend a lot of time and effort applying for the job. Good Luck hopefully you'll get one soon
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

I agree!! I find its the height of ignorance not to let people know. I am also looking for another job at the moment as im fed up with the one im in sadly at the moment im finding it hard to find one which will suit me.

P.S Good luck on the job hunting!!!!

If you want to be in a job where they won't accept you, just turn up. Run errands, offer to make them tea, let people get to know you. Eventually they will accept you, becuase you are a part of their communuity. They will not only respect your perseverance but will like you for it. It may take time, but you will be in, not out.

Default Misunderstood

Hi Pepsi Challenge,

I think you misunderstood my post, i am not after acceptance from an employer, nothing to do with being accepted a person in a place of employment, i have not encountered a situation you are talking about.

I am on about applications for a NEW job.

Default Jobs

I have become very disillusioned trying to get work. My field is administration / office work but there seems to be very little out there as I can only work part time in the Thurso area.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

You could start your own business.

I am also currently job hunting & feeling equally disheartened.

Any tips or advice out there?

Many Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge
    You could start your own business.
    Doing that is fatal. I was my own Boss once and I couldn't stand the Guy!

Saffy100, you have my sympathy, it must be very disheartening when applications are just ignored as if you either don't exist or don't matter.

No matter how disheartening it may be though, just keep plugging away. because one day you will succeed.
    And all those ignored job applications? Look at it this way, it's their loss, not yours and if that is the way they treat people then why would anybody want to work for them in any case.

Good luck with the job hunt, I'm sure you will win in the end!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

I must agree I find it rather ignorant to not even get a response from a prospective employer.
    However, when i was applying for jobs and had no responses i used to think to myself that if they couldn't be bothered to be coureous and polite then what would working for them be like anyway? it helped with all the empty letterboxes every morning for me, maybe it will for you.

good luck to all the job hunters out there, i hope you get fixed up soon.
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

I agree with your post - so many companies don`t care about replying to application form it`s unbelievable!! I`ve found the job centre website to be useful (although disheartening only 8 jobs in thurso - all either Temp/Part time). The Job forum on Caithness.org is also useful. But my best advice is too consider moving to a less remote part of the country!!

Some things never change. I had the same problem 20 years ago. I lost count of the number of jobs I'd applied for, got to the stage that I felt everyone in the town had read my CV and I only had 2 interviews in a whole year of trying. One of which actually had the cheek to say to my face that they only invited me for the interview because they didn't know who I was!

Any thoughts about voluntary work, retraining/ studying, home working etc???

when i moved to reading i thought it qould ne easy to get a job, but i was unemployed for 9 months!! when in thurso the longest i was unemployed was for 6 months!!
    its so hard when employers dont get back to you, gets really depressing.

Talking Employers

Hi all,

I guess we have all been in the same boat at one time or another, thanks for all your replies, i'ts nice to know i'm not the only one that finds this predicament. I do have a job to go to in July, but i am still applying for jobs that i would enjoy rather than one "to pay the bills" obviously i will work hard in my new job even though its not what i want to do, and my new employers will not be dissapointed in me.
    I found the jobcentre website and office in Wick to be very helpful, and all the ladies that i have dealt with there are great, very friendly and approachable.Also Caithness.org jobboards are very good.

Anyway thanks everyone for your opinions.

Saffy100 xx

Something I always did to guarantee I at least got notification was to enclose a stamped and addressed envelope for their reply back to me. There were a very few who still didn't bother but I think some employers appreciate that you are keen enough to get a reply.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Yes, I'v ehad almost thirty employers, and I've had enough too!
    I wish I could pack it all in.
    Nine years ten months, three days and several hours, if not sooner
    Good luck to you though, in your quest.

Quote Originally Posted by landmarker
    Yes, I'v ehad almost thirty employers, and I've had enough too!
    I wish I could pack it all in.
    Nine years ten months, three days and several hours, if not sooner
    Good luck to you though, in your quest.
    Now there's interesting, Landmarker. You and I must be of an age 'cos' my timing is about the same.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

i'm sorry your'e having such a bad time finding a new job. from experience and that of my family there is nothing to beat the personal touch. if you have the time to go to a prospective employer do so. dress appropriate to the job and take the time to talk to other employees(if possible). Personally hand in your cv or application form to the personel department or the boss if he/she is available and ask them to get in touch no matter the outcome as your appreciate feedback.

this approach has got my son and myself jobs in the past. i now have an excellent job which i have no thoughts of giving up.
    To stay young live honestly, eat slowly and lie about your age.

Cool Job Centre Website

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebus_Apollo
    I agree with your post - so many companies don`t care about replying to application form it`s unbelievable!! I`ve found the job centre website to be useful (although disheartening only 8 jobs in thurso - all either Temp/Part time). The Job forum on Caithness.org is also useful. But my best advice is too consider moving to a less remote part of the country!!
    I found this website bizarre, you put in your requirements i.e within 5 miles of my home in Halkirk and it comes up with options usually starting in Glasgow. Have found the jobs section on this site quite good though.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast