Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - Crows !

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I have always fed the birds in my garden and love to watch them. Not very exciting food, just hanging feeders - one nuts and one seed. Suddenly I am inundated with crows which come back as fast as I chase them off, all over the tree taking the food and frightening the little birds. What can I do? Too near houses to offer target practise
    Can't you do what I do and wedge the food (or feeders in your case) into the smaller branches of the trees?

I find the crows and seagulls can't get to the food although it doesn't stop the "rodent" starlings...

Don't think that would work with mine as they manage to break them and seem very persistent.

Also getting very cheeky! Haven't had time to fill the feeder today for various reasons so they rang the front door bell. I rushed to answer and found the button pushed in so it carried on ringing while they flew away.

Liz - I got it at Pets at Home but please don't tell anyone as I want to buy another tomorrow. They're not ideal as you have to make sure the bottom of the feeder touches the bottom of the cage as otherwise it seems they can't hop onto the perch. Will have to change the way it hangs.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Ha ha Badger I love the idea of the crows ringing your doorbell!

Okay your secrets safe with me so here's hoping you get another one from Pets At Home.

I have very big feeders so can't put them further into the tree so they are open to the bigger birds like the crows.

Aw Annthracks I love starlings! I think they are cheeky wee things and, whilst they can shove the wee birds out at times, they don't stop them getting fed in the way that the crows do.
    Also, due to the weight of the crows they often break my feeders. Especially the seed trays.

Here's hoping you have found the solution Badger.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Default Update

Now got two of those squirrel cages and they work really well. Little birds absolutely love them, hopping around inside. I suppose it gives them something else to perch on. Crows came back today and are looking very puzzled and a bit cross but haven't managed to figure out how to get the food so fingers crossed they won't.

Two problems so far. The bottom of the feeder needs to rest on the bottom of the cage as if it hangs above the birds don't seem able to hop onto the perches to feed. Also I've got them wired to branches and it seems you are supposed to take the whole thing down to fill so have got to get some quick release clips to fit on the cage. All a bit trial and error.

Definitely worth it just to see how happy little birds are

I've always thought that the reason we don't get crows is because of the dogs/cats but no, I've just seen the cockrel chasing them off! If you want a guard cockrel just give me a shout
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

That sounds fun. If they manage to crack my cages I'll let you know. So far they're just sitting on the roof shouting at me.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    So far they're just sitting on the roof shouting at me.
    Demanding their breakfast
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12