Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Can Ch4's "Countdown" be educational?

Unhappy Can Ch4's "Countdown" be educational?

I am rather embarrassed to be making this post.

I am 52 years old and yesterday a simple gameshow opened my eyes and showed my ignorance of our wonderful language.

Since I was wee boy, right through my teenage years and into my middle aged dotage I have heard and sung along to the song containing the words "Roaming in the Gloaming"..............I have to confess I always thought gloaming was a place. I am good at geography so I should know!!

Countdown's Des Lynam tells me otherwise, apparently it means "dusk or twilight".

I will have to start reading the dictionary again, I stopped when i was 12 'cos it wasn't a good read, it kept changing the subject.

Default Countdown

I love Countdown and yes it is educational. When they are around I get my elder children to try and get words. They have to be 5 or more letters. I always get excited if I beat the players. What a buzz when you get an 8 or 9 letter word....sad I know. On the subject...Deal or No Deal....not educational at all but highly addictive.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

not educational at all but highly addictive.
    Unless you look into the maths behind it and the strategy for getting the best deal...

A good introduction to the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deal_or...-_When_to_Deal

Very addictive indeed. Someone should come up with a crossover game, a sort of "deal or no countdown"

Quote Originally Posted by brokencross
    I am rather embarrassed to be making this post.

I am 52 years old and yesterday a simple gameshow opened my eyes and showed my ignorance of our wonderful language.

Since I was wee boy, right through my teenage years and into my middle aged dotage I have heard and sung along to the song containing the words "Roaming in the Gloaming"..............I have to confess I always thought gloaming was a place. I am good at geography so I should know!!

Countdown's Des Lynam tells me otherwise, apparently it means "dusk or twilight".

I will have to start reading the dictionary again, I stopped when i was 12 'cos it wasn't a good read, it kept changing the subject.
    I always thought the Gloamin' meant mountains....ye learn somethin' new everyday!!!!!
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho