Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent History

Default Recent History

So what is the reason for trying to change perception of history?

Bad grades at skool?

A nasty experience in the library?

Bad memory?

I don't get the motive, you can't actually change anything, it has already happened.

Perhaps if I seek enlightenment, all will become clear.
    Last edited by ducati; 23-May-10 at 22:49. Reason: all the right words in the wrong order

Cool

You're beginning to sound like your Avatar in her condition these days!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

What? you mean serene, in control, firm resolve, barking ?
    Last edited by ducati; 24-May-10 at 11:37.

You might find the answer in John Tosh's book "The Pursuit of History". There's a review of it here
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post

Bad grades at skool?

Bad memory?

I don't get the motive, you can't actually change anything, it has already happened.

History is constantly changing as new evidence comes to light.

Yesterday the Guardian published newly released documents which prove Israel tried to sell nuclear weapons to Apartheid South Africa in the 1970s.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...lear-documents

History changed.

I would not for a minute doubt your word Fred old chaps but how has this "evidence" changed history ??
    Did either of the parties to this "agreement" actually use these nuclear weapons - now that would have changed history.
    btw, I have never actually met a Guardian reader, have met a few peeps who cut it into little squares for hanging in the outhouse, but actually reading it, never.
    Q. If you see a Scouser on a bicycle, why should you never swerve to hit him?
    A: It might be your bicycle

Bad grades at skool?

Bad memory?

Because if you control the version of history that people believe then it becomes possible to manipulate outcomes.

Consider; if you bring up a child to despise black people and think them inferior, then you get a society that wants and supports apartheid.

If a society thinks Jews are the rats under Germany’s floorboards, that they are a master-race and the Jews plot to keep them down, then you can preach genocide.

If you think people who go against your holy book then you can kill them nastily because they offend God.

The first thing Lenin did in education, post revolution was to order the rewriting of all History textbooks used in schools. Hitler did the same – and he was copying Mussolini.

If you control the perceptions that society has, of how things came to be as they are, then it becomes possible to some extent – even a great extent, to predict and control outcomes.

That is why mendacious polemics have to be opposed wherever they crop up on public forums – because they are not only poisonous to young minds, but can bring about violence, death and disaster if left unchecked.

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    Because if you control the version of history that people believe then it becomes possible to manipulate outcomes.

Consider; if you bring up a child to despise black people and think them inferior, then you get a society that wants and supports apartheid.
    Imagine.

http://www.washington-report.org/bac...9/9909019.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunken Duck View Post
    Try to see the difference between a cartoon for adults in a newspaper and the official version of history printed in textbooks and taught as fact to all schoolchildren.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    You might find the answer in John Tosh's book "The Pursuit of History". There's a review of it here
    Thanks Gronnuck, I will try to get hold of a copy of said tome. It doesn't fill me with confidence though, as the (joint) Author states his own bias from the outset and the review uses three words I have never seen before-bit like an LJ post

Thanks Gronnuck, I will try to get hold of a copy of said tome. It doesn't fill me with confidence though, as the (joint) Author states his own bias from the outset and the review uses three words I have never seen before-bit like an LJ post
    Try Orwell's 1984 instead then.

Bad grades at skool?

Bad memory?

like youre avatar you are a bit confused. You are confusing history with history books. one is what happened, the other is whast you was taught happened.

anyone searching for truth will question what others have taught them and think for themselves if it is true or even likely

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    like youre avatar you are a bit confused. You are confusing history with history books. one is what happened, the other is whast you was taught happened.

anyone searching for truth will question what others have taught them and think for themselves if it is true or even likely
    Looks like you've got the last bit nailed

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    . whast you was taught happened.
    Looking at this post Ducati's reference to bad grades at skool seems to have some relevance

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Try to see the difference between a cartoon for adults in a newspaper and the official version of history printed in textbooks and taught as fact to all schoolchildren.
    Yes, because children don't read newspapers or take any notice of what their parents or other adults say at all do they ??, ever been to an Arab country and seen their attitudes for yourself ?? .. of course you haven't. Which means you are just talking balls. As per usual.

Just in case you didn't notice, it was the Palestinian Media Group raising the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunken Duck View Post
    Yes, because children don't read newspapers or take any notice of what their parents or other adults say at all do they ??, ever been to an Arab country and seen their attitudes for yourself ?? .. of course you haven't. Which means you are just talking balls. As per usual.

Just in case you didn't notice, it was the Palestinian Media Group raising the issue.
    Look the thread is about why people question the official version of history as taught in schools.

If you are not capable of comprehending the difference between that and a newspaper cartoon then I do not think there is anything more I can add.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Look the thread is about why people question the official version of history as taught in schools.

If you are not capable of comprehending the difference between that and a newspaper cartoon then I do not think there is anything more I can add.
    Actually I should have made it clearer. The thread is about why barking mad conspiracy theorists attemp to twist perception of history to suit there own agenda.

The thought comes to me that perhaps Fred & Pegasus are actually relatively sane and merely using the .org as practice and a sounding board for their entries in "The World's Greatest Liar Contest".

Don't know where it is being held this year, probably somewhere in the USA as normal

Actually I should have made it clearer. The thread is about why barking mad conspiracy theorists attemp to twist perception of history to suit there own agenda.
    perception of history should be twisted to suit the thruth then we can learn from what happened do you agree?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast