Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What has happened to the rabbits/

Smile What has happened to the rabbits/

On several journeys around Caithness and down the A9 I have not seen many rabbits recently. What has happened to them? Anyone know?

They're all here, eating ma plants, bark-stripping ma trees, digging up ma spuds.
    I'm a soft touch for wildlife, but I'll shortly be purchasing (a) a ferret (b) a wee heavy spade and (c) an air rifle.

By the way, if anyone is using those humane traps for bunnies, can you PLEASE not empty the things near anyone's home? Humanely out of your life and into someone else's vegetable patch is not really very sporting.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Ah, that might explain it. A single lone baby bunny turned up in the last couple of days in the garden. I don't mind at all, particularly if he eats grass. He looks awfy lonely though If he likes carrots he will starve to death waiting for mine to show

I didn't mind when it was just a couple of wee baby ones, Duke, but lately they've grown up, got jiggy, brought in their relations and sent for reinforcements.
    A lot of money & effort wasted. My poor carrots will be a long time coming as well!

Get a pair of resident buzzards he he...the rabbits here get short shrift.

My resident weasel is neglecting his duties - stoatally! Must be getting soft.

Bad winter
    ¡ǝʇǝןdɯoɔ sı ǝɟıן ʎɯ - buızɐɹb sǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ sı ooן ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝıʌ ǝɥʇ

Default food.

Obviously the bad winter - rabbits don't eat bark as a preference.

On the train to Inverness recently I noticed a colony of rabbits in Brora with about a 70% normal brown but the other 30% being black or a brindle mix. Often see a rogue black rabbit but never as many as this [over 20]

pet rabbits getting loose and adding to the gene pool?
    http://itqueries.com/