Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holburn bar last night

Default Holburn bar last night

In the Holburn bar last night there was a band playing and the singer sounded like a cat being strangled or a bag of cats being beaten with a stick.

LOL - what was it called?

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    LOL - what was it called?
    The SELLOUTS according to the local paper.

Somebody said this to me earlier today......were they that bad?

Don't mince words, tell us what you really thought. I know some of the folk in the band. I've not heard them play yet but I'm surprised to read your review of it. I would say they knew what they were doing musically. Suppose it's all in the ear of the beholder.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

I heard part of their set and thought they were ok, not my cup of tea but they certainly weren't bad at all.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

I think this would be them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Dbgo949Yw

I'm not sure whether I'm amused or a little frightened (or both) by this video lol.
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

Quote Originally Posted by NapalmDeath74 View Post
    ... the singer sounded like a cat being strangled or a bag of cats being beaten with a stick.
    Spent a lot of time with bags of cats and sticks, have you? I suppose you prefer pre-recorded stuff over any kind of live act.

Yeah, talent's in the ear of the beholder, innit.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

tbf your name is NapalmDeath you were never going to enjoy a band like the sellouts. how long did you stay and listen btw?

I was there most of the night and I thought they were pretty good. Most of the other punters seemed to be enjoying it too.
    Last edited by hardcore superstar; 23-May-10 at 21:22. Reason: selling error

I'd stick to the sea cadets, cycling, hunting and fishing. Music clearly isn't your bag.

Yeah, alright!!!

"NapalmDeath74 has not made any friends yet."

That's surprising!

It sounds as if it was as good as the Backer in Wick Ha he.

Everyone has the right to express their view on a performance, as the band have the right to ignore it. Although you have to be careful. Reacting to a negative review by saying "What would you know????", is about as crass as suggesting that a singer sounds like a bag of cats.

It's better to take all feedback-criticism or praise-with a pinch of salt and follow your instincts in whatever creative endeavour your doing. It's worked for Neil Young, despite what those alabama hillbillies sang about him.

How very Zen. I should be a band performance coach/manager/A+R guru! The next Dante Bonutto me!
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

I was in the Holburn in the afternoon when they were running though a few songs. I thought they sounded really good and wished I was able to go out in the evening to hear the whole set. Some people who critisize others are only jealous because they have no talent themselves!
    Last edited by Number47; 24-May-10 at 09:31.

I always run the theory that if the vast majority of the audience AND the punter who's actually paying the band to play is happy then that's all that really matters.

There will always be extreme responses from "your the worst" to "your the best" band in the world, and by their very nature, these are only the ones that tend to get aired in the public domain.

Tastes of course will always vary and the effects of alcohol consumption should also be factored in!! At the end of the day, do you as a band keep getting booked (or not)?
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

I take everything said, both positive and negative, with a pinch of salt. I know we're a good pub/cover band. I know we're lucky to have two extremely good singers and two backing singers who can hold a tune. We all thoroughly enjoyed Saturday night and being our first full pub gig, thought it went extremely well. They danced, they clapped, they sung along. What more do you want?

I'm not gonna bother trying to justify the band, and give reasoning as to why this fellow took a disliking to one of our singers, I don't really care.

Best thing for anyone interested in the chaps thoughts could do is, come along to the Sunday Sesh in Skins on the 30th May and make your own judgement.

YEAH! ALRIGHT! C'MON!

What kind of stuff are you doing? I went past in the taxi a couple of times but I couldn't get a right listen. Any chance of you trying out Boney Maroney?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast