Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Out Now!!!

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon
    i didnt wish to incite venom upon you all.
    you didn't...................things always go from one point to another

I applaud you for your musical aims & desires, one can only assume you have a good paying day job

the "chilled one"

believe it or not im unemployed and i probably wont be employed for a very long time.

but i digress.

have u tried looking for gigs? u can say to the landlord or manger that ur not looking to get paid which means they'll probably agree to it. then people who go and listen to you in the pub for free (who probably wouldn't bat an eyelid at your cd in the shop) might go and buy ur album, or come back to future gigs to hear any new material you have.

Then again, you still have to spend money along the way. just with little things like transporting your gear (two taxi rides at £5 a time on a sunday!), borrowing a friends PA (10 or 15 quid as a goodwill gesture). Thats most of your unemployment benefit down the drain straight away (I'm assuming thats where the bulk of your income comes from)

The point I'm trying to make is that none of us are in it for the money, but overheads must at least be covered, so that we can eventually break even. Think about all the equipment that people buy over the years. I didn't start getting paid for gigs until recently, and I still do my fair share for charities. I've bought enough equipment to do me for the forseeable future and its cost me a lot in petrol etc, but I dont want to be left out of pocket by it, so for the majority of gigs I will be looking to get paid until such time where I feel that my gig money has paid for the majority of the gear i've bought.
    Last edited by moncur; 12-Jun-06 at 12:54.

Talking

again some folks have obviously not read my below posts, we dont have a drummer been looking for one for ages, but no one seems to be available. and im afraid we dont do pub gigs, not that kind of music. we have a few offers down south as our cd is doing very well down their but again....no drummer. and a new club in cornwall called devilution also asked us to play. but AGAIN.................no drummer.

and im on disability benefits but thats still not a lot. but again i dont want money back from gigs and what not. money complicates things. brings too much.....trouble and suffering. and yes i know that it gets things done quicker and easier but the band and myself have our beliefs. obviously if we start gigging down south an exchange of money will be dealt with, but more for the members than myself.

in short at the moment we enjoy being underground. BUT we would like maybe one or two gigs this summer. but alas no drummer.

Empty Fortune dont have a drummer. we do gigs all the time.

You're an acoustic band though.

the album name was decided about a year ago and dave was reluctant to change it even though the gaels had one. its two quid because dave had the same moral as he did with the l2d album, why should people have to pay a chunk of money to hear a band they dont know havent seen etc.

as for for selling ourselves short, couldnt care less, we arent trying to sell music, we just make it. the albums were free but good vibe wanted a profit off them
    yeah pitty you had to use the title "The Lonely Road" as it is very similar to our album "Lonely Road" (Howlin' Gaels) but none the less I wish you well with the album. you may want to rethink your opinion on the "I aint in it for the money" thing although I can appreciate what your saying, for example you mentioned that at the end of the day you realy just want people to hear your music and to evoke some feeling from the listener, however in order to do this with a degree of success the fact is that the more money that you can put into a recording project the better the over all result will be eg.the more time you will be able to spend on takes, paying for a quality engineer or session players, and then once the product is ready again the rule is the same for presentation, after all everybody loves to see their album with a cool cover and the artwork can be a costly process if you realy want your album to be well presented with a thought provoking cover that says something about the feel of the album or the musicians involved. Then we come to marketing which definately means that the more money you spend the more you will be able to bring peoples attention to the music that your trying to get out there, posters, radio advertising, placing a banner on the org or travelling to radio interviews all help to get your music out there but they all cost money, so you see music is a beast that eats money even it your just doing it for a hobby, at the end of the day even if you have no wish to make a profit that doesn't mean that you don't need to make money. Please take this only as a piece of friendly advice, I just felt like a rant and thought I'd share some of my thoughts.
    Once again , all the best with the album...what genre is it? Or is that for another thread? lol

Red face

i respect that i do. but again, i dont want to get anywhere with the music other than someone listening to it and i dont wish my music to be expertly produced or fancy looking, a decent tune and some good emotional lyrics its all i need.

the album isnt just a cool name, its called that for a personal reason.

i dont have to follow economical morals or procedures, i dont have to make a fancy and good looking package. in the end is it not up to the buyer?i would rather someone bought it out of curiosity than looking at a cover and sayin " thats a very well produced looking album, very professional indeed, i better by it."

no offense to all the great bands in thurso and caithness, but im just not going to do things your way....and i realise no one is forcing me to do so.

Music + Me + my privacy = happiness

Music + money + fame+ respect + politics + sociology = an unbearable and personally unfufilled life not to mention my own personal hell.

simplicity is key.

.................fair enough

Music + Me + my privacy = happiness

You've got the right idea Kdragon!

Talking

thanks dude. much appreciated.

thanks dude. much appreciated.
    dude you said dude again

go stand in the corner

Talking

(hangs head in shame)

drat, must seek counselling for that lol

Quote Originally Posted by clash67
    yeah pitty you had to use the title "The Lonely Road" as it is very similar to our album "Lonely Road" (Howlin' Gaels) but none the less I wish you well with the album. you may want to rethink your opinion on the "I aint in it for the money" thing although I can appreciate what your saying, for example you mentioned that at the end of the day you realy just want people to hear your music and to evoke some feeling from the listener, however in order to do this with a degree of success the fact is that the more money that you can put into a recording project the better the over all result will be eg.the more time you will be able to spend on takes, paying for a quality engineer or session players, and then once the product is ready again the rule is the same for presentation, after all everybody loves to see their album with a cool cover and the artwork can be a costly process if you realy want your album to be well presented with a thought provoking cover that says something about the feel of the album or the musicians involved. Then we come to marketing which definately means that the more money you spend the more you will be able to bring peoples attention to the music that your trying to get out there, posters, radio advertising, placing a banner on the org or travelling to radio interviews all help to get your music out there but they all cost money, so you see music is a beast that eats money even it your just doing it for a hobby, at the end of the day even if you have no wish to make a profit that doesn't mean that you don't need to make money. Please take this only as a piece of friendly advice, I just felt like a rant and thought I'd share some of my thoughts.
    Once again , all the best with the album...what genre is it? Or is that for another thread? lol

A good start would be to open an myspace.com account.

Unhappy

we do, we have had one for months, well the band does. it states that on the you tube vid site. the vids are also on tvcaithness.com and the details are there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12