Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Learing to drive a forklift

Default Learing to drive a forklift

OK so does anyone how I would go about learing to drive a forklift. Is there anywhere up here as does it? How long does it take and how much does it cost. Do you need a driving licence to do it?

Thanks in advance for any info
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Try http://www.t3uk.co.uk/ at Janetstown Thurso

Cheers Ducati, will give them a ring tomorrow.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Top class link and info Ducati.

I didnt realise all this was available up here.
    Good to know.

Nice one!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    Top class link and info Ducati.

I didnt realise all this was available up here.
    Good to know.

Nice one!
    You certainly can't miss the building, you can see it from Wick!

if you are eligible for an ILA account you could also use this to fund it

http://www.ilascotland.org.uk/ILA+Homepage.htm

Hi, you could give us a phone at Training at Naver - 01847804735, run regular forklift courses for novices and experienced operator, please phone for details and quotes.

http://www.dounreay.com/training-at-naver

Quote Originally Posted by DM07 View Post
    Hi, you could give us a phone at Training at Naver - 01847804735, run regular forklift courses for novices and experienced operator, please phone for details and quotes.

I was going to mention you guys as well and I forgot-sorry

Phoned the first lot today, just waiting for them to get back to me.

Will try the other lot tomorrow.

Main question would be - can you do the course/take the test whilst only holding a provisional licence?

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Main question would be - can you do the course/take the test whilst only holding a provisional licence?
    I suppose it depends on your employer. My employer allows provisional licence holders to drive small mobile plant, such as the forklift, though if it's road registered then I doubt if you would be allowed to drive it on the public highway.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    OK so does anyone how I would go about learing to drive a forklift. Is there anywhere up here as does it? How long does it take and how much does it cost. Do you need a driving licence to do it?

Thanks in advance for any info
    If you never driven a forklift before its a 3 day course and can vary up to £250 day if your going to a dealer but to be honest about i think your wasting your money going through it yourselve the vast amount of employers will put you through your licence if they want to employ you you have to remember the licence is only valid for about 3 years and you have to do a 1 day refresher course and even if you have a licence some employers will make you go through it again depending on there policys.
    But i do think think your wasting your money let the employer pay for i think your money would be better spent getting a driving licence if you dont have one ?
    A driving licence is more important in more ways than one than a forklift licence?

Cheers for the advice Eddie will pass it on.

The other thing as well if you learn on 3 ton counterbalance truck thats your max limit of truck you can drive if you learn on a 7ton truck you can drive up to that and so
    Thats why you have to watch if you do go ahead and train yourself thats why its not practical to go through it your selve best let the employer train the employee on there kit.
    There is not much point in paying out a lot of money to learn on a 3 ton truck and then apply for a job were they have 5 ton trucks or 7 ton trucks and your not covered to drive them.
    I bet the likes of say dounreay for example they would train there employee to drive a forklift if there job required it and it wont cost them anything
    A lot of forklift trainers the break the 3 day course up so you get to drive a 3 ton and 5 ton or 7 ton as part of the course so then you can drive the bigger trucks providing there is trucks onsite because some training centres dont have the bigger trucks on there premises only a little truck?
    I just dont want to see you wasting your money

Default Forklift Training

You can also contact Training at Naver as they also do various vehicle training courses as well as other training.

They are dead easy - I picked it up in a couple of days and was driving like a pro after a week.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Eddies' got a good point about getting your car licence.

Obviously I don't know what your plans are, but there's not many employers up here that will take someone on purely on the strength of having a FLT licence - unless the job is with someone like Sutherland Bros were loading/unloading and warehouse duties are the norm. But an FLT licence would certainly help swing a job in your favour in some cases.

If you're planning on moving down to a more commercially orientated area, then an FLT licence is a good way to get into work temping for the agancies in warehousing. There can be a lot of work in some areas paying around £7-9 ph IIRC.

Bear in mind that as well as traditional FLT's you have reach and high racking order pickers as well - each require an additional training ticket. So make sure you know what you are aiming for regarding your FLT training.

HTH.

I agree with those saying don't bother getting a ticket until you get a job. Its expensive to get, you might get the wrong one, your employer might still want you trained to their standards ect.
    I'm forced to have forklift, telehandler, mewp tickets by my employer but never use them and it's a pain having to do refreshers as I have no idea what I'm doing and I look like a right inept pratt, just glad I don't have to pay.
    So if I was you just wait and see what is required by your employer first as it could cause more expensive problems than you need