Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are humans animals?

Quote Originally Posted by BeJaye
    woooohoooo pass that spliff over here please.
    There's an intelligent quote.
    You should be on stage......................as a floorboard.

woooohoooo pass that spliff over here please.
    Dont have one.........do you?

Quote Originally Posted by pultneytooner
    There's an intelligent quote.
    You should be on stage......................as a floorboard.
    pass that drink yer drinkin too,youve had enough.

pass that drink yer drinkin too,youve had enough.
    H2O, adams ale.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2
    Nothing is certain but I would have thought that we have both. Soul can mean so many things.
    But is it the soul or the body which is the you?

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    But is it the soul or the body which is the you?
    Unfortunately this point can be argued both ways. If, as many believe, we live in an illusary universe then the soul/spirit is the essential you. The you that most people refer to is, to me, a false persona which has been created by our education and conditioning. If this false persona/ego is strong enough then the individual never realises that the real persona exists.
    If this is not an illusion, it seems obvious to me that the combination of soul and body makes up the essential you.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

According to your holy phantasy no-one will survive Armageddon.
    Do you think anyone deserves to survive Armageddon?
    Or if death is a transference to another realm....then death at Armageddon is good anyway?

As far as your point on the evolution theory is concerned you will have to explain your point a bit more as I cannot follow your logic.
    Not sure I can be bothered

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    Do you think anyone deserves to survive Armageddon?
    Or if death is a transference to another realm....then death at Armageddon is good anyway?

Not sure I can be bothered
    Fair do's nae argument.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    If evolution is true then we do own it......and we've got nothing to worry about because the fittest will survive and adapt anyway......so who cares about the weak?
    We as individuals and as a species are here on loan. We own nothing because we are totaly dependent on and parasites of the earth. A flea does not own the dog it lives on, the grass does not own the ground it grows on. We are not proprietores of this planet because when it no longer can put up with human excesses, it will suffer changes that will make our lives unsustainable. The last time a dramatic change of this type ocurred the dominant species died out completely, so there is a probability that humans of any type will not be able to adapt/evolve to accompany a changing world (the more complex the organism, the less ability it has to adapt to quick change....quick does not mean overnight, nor even over a millenium).

And also, if you are about seperating the human beings from animals, then surely empathy is one of the caracteristics that spring to mind as defining of the human being. In nature mamals that are mortally wounded or ill are abandoned because they are inviable. The human animal is the one that cares for its weak, and at great expense (not only financial, but emotional and social) makes sure that they survive and live as fruitfully as possible. Survival of the fitest is of the natural realm. Who cares about the survival of the weak: why....us, human beings (except you aparently...so does that make you an animal? ).
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

We eat animals and justify this butchery by saying that animals are lesser creatures and are provided for our use and nourishment. It is said that you are what you eat. What does that make all you thoughtless carnivores?
    Actually I am omnivorous, and am designed as such, as are all human beings. I respect the food I eat, as all of it dies to sustain me. I especially respect any animal that dies to feed me.

Just out of curiosity, do you do dairy? The lives of dairy cows and meat cattle are very different. Given the choice I would rather be a meat cow: two/three good years on a pasture with little contact with humans- a very natural life. Dairy cows have a calf a year that is removed on birth, often to be culled (waste) and have been selected to produce abnormal ammounts of milk ( lactation can be very painful under normal circumstances, nevermind when at peak you regulary produce 80 pints). If you become ill, you get culled. If you get matitis, even in one teat, you will probably be culled. When you reach the end of your useful life, you'll be culled. So if I were to feel guilty about my omnivorous habits, I would feel far more guilty about that yougurt, cheese or dash of milk in my tea.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Talking Losing the plot

I thought the original question posed was quite straight forward and only required a direct answer!
    So how come once again it has meandered off and become like an ox bow with no direct link to the original stream?

In reply you Ju, I have been vegan for 27 years becuase milk is poisonous to the human body, unlike the calf, we only have one stomach which finds dairy food very hard to digest.
    Lizz, does it matter?

At some stage not after life emerged it split, in the main, into two divergent directions in order to continue existing.

One form settled down and derived it's nutrients from it's surroundings intending to live in peace with all around it.

The other form of life wandered round slaughtering all in it's path to gain it's nourishment, especially those life forms which were unable to run away.

Now I am supposed to feel concern and sympathy for the rampaging slaughtering herds and to join in the disgusting habit of picking on the life form which set out to harm nothing!

I cannot conceive of a countryside completely devoid of animals where the only means of putting nourishment back into the land is by artificial fertilisers.

To answer Rheghead's original question. There are those in the human race who wish to pretend that we are either oh so superior to all other life forms or are in some way completely separated from the rules of survival by which they live.

In truth, the animal we probably resemble most in behaviour are rats. A quick check on their behaviour patterns will show the similarities.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_
    We as individuals and as a species are here on loan. We own nothing because we are totaly dependent on and parasites of the earth. A flea does not own the dog it lives on, the grass does not own the ground it grows on. We are not proprietores of this planet because when it no longer can put up with human excesses, it will suffer changes that will make our lives unsustainable. The last time a dramatic change of this type ocurred the dominant species died out completely, so there is a probability that humans of any type will not be able to adapt/evolve to accompany a changing world (the more complex the organism, the less ability it has to adapt to quick change....quick does not mean overnight, nor even over a millenium).

And also, if you are about seperating the human beings from animals, then surely empathy is one of the caracteristics that spring to mind as defining of the human being. In nature mamals that are mortally wounded or ill are abandoned because they are inviable. The human animal is the one that cares for its weak, and at great expense (not only financial, but emotional and social) makes sure that they survive and live as fruitfully as possible. Survival of the fitest is of the natural realm. Who cares about the survival of the weak: why....us, human beings (except you aparently...so does that make you an animal? ).
    I certainly care about the weak. It was a comment on the theory of evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ
    I thought the original question posed was quite straight forward and only required a direct answer!
    So how come once again it has meandered off and become like an ox bow with no direct link to the original stream?
    No the original question was loaded, anything but straight forward. It put the proposition that animals chastise their young therefore corporal punishment is natural and should not be frowned on.

The original question ignores the fact that animals do not punish their young, any chastisement is in an instant and forgotten immediately, no animal ever had to wait for its father to get home or go to bed without supper afterwards. The original question ignores the fact that some humans will use excessive punishment on their young, in an attempt to get total control, because they get a sadistic pleasure from it or just as a way to take out their fustrations on someone, something you very rarely see in the animal world. It is the children of those parents the do gooders are desperate to protect but it is impossible to distinguish the genuine from the perverted so both must be addressed together.

I think all animals equally depend on each other in a variety of ways... should be an equal give and take relationship really, only now humans have gone mad with the deforestation of this country in part to graze animals to eat... and out of Tescos? that's eating rotting flesh remember (let's recap...chopping down a vast resource and source of oxygen to eat rotting flesh???!?).. we use sheeps wool for loads of extremely useful deeds.. we lead the sheep to green pastures. Multitudes of wee beasties live on your body feeding off dead skin cells and what else haveya but, this is good for you and alot of these same wee beasties control other wee beasties who might invade your foodstuffs and so it goes in nature. Some say veganism or vegetarianism is part of the answer but, what about say the Mongols? They respect their animals and spend their whole nomadic way of life grazing these animals and the Mongols eat nearly nothing besides animals... just about every part conceivable yet, they also have the utmost almost uncanny respect for the environment. And nobody there "owns" land... they respect their fellow Mongols and as they travel they make sure to leave the following nomads a good grazing space. Maybe Heather McCartney will tell the Mongols to stop wearing fur while she sits in her gargantuan central heated house?

I think it's not about whether humans are animals, that's just a daft question but what this thread is discussing is really all down to culture. Scots and Mongols... all humans but, on the whole there is a very HUGE distinct difference in the way we live. Fact is westerners together are greedy little disasters and wouldn't know respect for anything if it jumped up and bit them in the behind!

Secondly, name me another animal that doesn't kill anything else? it's a fact of life folks. it's all about measure.

Although, I believe in living in equal measure and in a more eco-friendly way... I do believe that the earth wouldn't dish out anything it couldn't handle. Earth's got intelligent life with extreme capabilities, remember Mother Earth has allowed that to happen, i think if She gets too "sick" she'll get rid of a "few" of us herself.(sooner rather than later judging by the way things are goin.) She's (Earth) a big lass and she'll no let puny little humans get the best of her (and my guess is she's quite fed up of all this patronising bull). But, this is no reason to exploit her either.

Quote Originally Posted by sjwahwah
    I think all animals equally depend on each other in a variety of ways... should be an equal give and take relationship really, only now humans have gone mad with the deforestation of this country in part to graze animals to eat... and out of Tescos? that's eating rotting flesh remember (let's recap...chopping down a vast resource and source of oxygen to eat rotting flesh???!?).. we use sheeps wool for loads of extremely useful deeds.. we lead the sheep to green pastures. Multitudes of wee beasties live on your body feeding off dead skin cells and what else haveya but, this is good for you and alot of these same wee beasties control other wee beasties who might invade your foodstuffs and so it goes in nature. Some say veganism or vegetarianism is part of the answer but, what about say the Mongols? They respect their animals and spend their whole nomadic way of life grazing these animals and the Mongols eat nearly nothing besides animals... just about every part conceivable yet, they also have the utmost almost uncanny respect for the environment. And nobody there "owns" land... they respect their fellow Mongols and as they travel they make sure to leave the following nomads a good grazing space. Maybe Heather McCartney will tell the Mongols to stop wearing fur while she sits in her gargantuan central heated house?

I think it's not about whether humans are animals, that's just a daft question but what this thread is discussing is really all down to culture. Scots and Mongols... all humans but, on the whole there is a very HUGE distinct difference in the way we live. Fact is westerners together are greedy little disasters and wouldn't know respect for anything if it jumped up and bit them in the behind!

Secondly, name me another animal that doesn't kill anything else? it's a fact of life folks. it's all about measure.

Although, I believe in living in equal measure and in a more eco-friendly way... I do believe that the earth wouldn't dish out anything it couldn't handle. Earth's got intelligent life with extreme capabilities, remember Mother Earth has allowed that to happen, i think if She gets too "sick" she'll get rid of a "few" of us herself.(sooner rather than later judging by the way things are goin.) She's (Earth) a big lass and she'll no let puny little humans get the best of her (and my guess is she's quite fed up of all this patronising bull). But, this is no reason to exploit her either.
    Isn't it strange how we humans give gender to things that should be asexual. Planet Earth is a wifie and God is a mannie. I assume that makes us their bairns. What badly behaved little brats we are. No wonder Mother Earth sent her hubbie for the snip ;o)

to refer in a familiar way or to not? but, yes, I would say we are made out of the Earth and "she" is definately our elder so... we "humans" could be said to be her bairns! Anyways.. Earth is real (in most of our realities that is)... god as they say? hhmm... I question "his" existence or even the idea of "his" existence.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234