Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Classic Children's Stories / Books (Merged)

Default Classic Children's Stories / Books (Merged)

Just noticed that the Google image is the 150th Birthday of J.M. Barrie. My favourite when I was a child were the magical tales by Hans Christian Andersen. Such tales are reminiscent of times past and bring back happy memories for me. Anyone remember their particular favourite and I wonder if you read them to your own children?
    Last edited by pegasus; 09-May-10 at 00:34.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Just noticed that the Google image is the 150th Birthday of J.M. Barrie. My favourite when I was a child were the magical tales by Hans Christian Andersen. Such tales are reminiscent of times past and bring back happy memories for me. Anyone remember their particular favourite and I wonder if you read them to your own children?
    My favourite books were by Enid Blyton. I have just finished reading The Enchanted Wood to my 5 year old daughter and she loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by ks View Post
    My favourite books were by Enid Blyton. I have just finished reading The Enchanted Wood to my 5 year old daughter and she loved it.

They were my favourite childhood books of all time.
    What's next - The Folk of the faraway tree?
    I used to love losing myself in stories of Moonface, the Elf and all the different lands at the top of the tree. lol. The land of take what you want seems to stick in my mind. lol.
    Fabulous books.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by ks View Post
    I read all the Secret Seven and Famous Five books when I was young, sadly my son has never developd a love for readiing, even though I used to read bedtime stories to him.

stig in the dump was my fav

I loved Enid Blyton and her Adventure Books, ie "The Castle of Adventure", "The Moutain of Adventure" and "The Island of Adventure, etc, etc.

I also was into the "Kemlo" Books, SciFi for children, and I am still a great SciFi Fan.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by kjandcrew View Post
    PMSL! Just magic
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

LOL I just bought the first 3 Famous Five books in the hope that my kids will get as hooked as I did! I doubt it'll happen as there are so many other distractions these days but also 'cos they're more 'doing' kids than reading ones.

If nothing else it'll take me back a bit

Also loved the other Enid Blyton series', Stig of the Dump and Biggles amongst many others.

I loved The Secret Island by Enid Blyton but my favourite fairy story was Cinderella. I think it had something to do with the Eric Winter illustrations in the Ladybird book which captured my imagination. I would love to be able to write and capture the imagination.

Loved Rumplestiltskin and the name fascinated me I believe I used to say I would call a boy that if I had one Yes did have one son but thankfully didn't call him Rumplestitskin!!

Quote Originally Posted by kjandcrew View Post
    "Stig of the dump" - had to correct you there because it was another of my faves.
    Most people look at me gobsmacked when I mention Stig of the dump though, nice to know someone else has had the pleasure of reading it.

Also read all the Famous five books and used to love the "Flicka" stories.
    Plus I always remember one fabulous horse book called "Mylor, the most powerful horse in the world" - Brilliant book.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    I used to love losing myself in stories of Moonface, the Elf and all the different lands at the top of the tree. lol. The land of take what you want seems to stick in my mind. lol.
    Fabulous books.

I loved the faraway tree books when i was younger see they sell them in tesco i thought of getting them for my kids. i always loved reading, thanksfully seem to have passed that on to my kids. A nice healthy pass time i think.

As for fav books i loved the faraway tree ones, stig of the dump (we read that in class was good), mallory towers series, the babysitter club books, roald dahl the twits and georges marvellous medicine. Have to say though i was quite young when i started reading adult horror books i think i was 13 when i started on dean koontz etc so i outgrew childrens stories quite fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Fabulous books.
    We have started it, not sure who is enjoying it more, her or me!

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    I read all the Secret Seven and Famous Five books when I was young, sadly my son has never developd a love for readiing, even though I used to read bedtime stories to him.
    I have kept all of my Secret Seven and Famous Five books. My daugher loves reading so hopefully she will like these books when she is a bit older.

We are having problems with the classic fairytales at the moment.....
    (small child howling) huff puff ... house down at 3am does not go down well in our house!
    But we love the hungry caterpillar and other classics...Richard Scarry books anyone??
    But looking forward to the girls enjoying the famous 5, nancy drew etc that I loved as a kid when they are older!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    We are having problems with the classic fairytales at the moment.....
    (small child howling) huff puff ... house down at 3am does not go down well in our house!
    But we love the hungry caterpillar and other classics...Richard Scarry books anyone??
    But looking forward to the girls enjoying the famous 5, nancy drew etc that I loved as a kid when they are older!
    Richard Scarry books are great - especially Pig Will and Pig Won't.

Another huge Enid Blyton fan here.

I have always loved reading and think that is down to enjoying these books so much when I was wee.

Default books

i love reading i learnt my children from a very young age to read books join the library they were in a book club dont know if its still on the go this club but i know i have a lot of books for my grandson to read once hes older four lge boxes i have found in the attic and its brought back some lovely memories

I too found a box of books I had read when i was younger.
    My Friend Flicka and all the other horsey stories.A pile of Hardy Boys books,which were a favourite of mine and some old Jackie annuals.

Dont think my kids appreciate books as much as i do or did .
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

I don't suppose anyone will remeber them, but the 'Uncle' stories by JP Martin were my faves when I was a bairn. Absolutely insane but brilliant!
    I tracked down a couple of them recently - they still make me smile even now.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!