Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karate Kid Plays Some Mean Guitar

Default Karate Kid Plays Some Mean Guitar

This is link to the guitar duel in the film "Crossroads" with Ralph Maccio and Steve Vai. I think Vai played all the guitar parts and I think the piece the "kid" plays to win is based on Pagannini ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDBT8...roads%20guitar

It's a typical Hollywood ending. The fact Maccio 'wins' replicating a Mozart piece shows he chose to ignore creativity, originality - and 'done' a cover. No doubt that will please the we-hate-covers-band-crowd on here. At least Vai tried to show him up by replicating him.

Anywho, when I were a nipper, most of my guitar-playing buddies decided to take up guitar after seeing this film. Me? I decided to embark on a life-long love of axe-man-ship after seeing Marty McFly invent rock 'n' roll at the Enchantment Under The Sea Dance back in 1955.

Still the movie is a bit of fun if you don't take it too seriously. As a nipper I went up the Thurso Delta to look for the Crossroads to sell my soul to the devil for music but all I found was Dowpy Dan sleeping at the salmon pool. I left him sleeping but maybe he had the lost song of Robert Johnson. A missed opportunity perhaps .......

yeh steve vai played both guitar parts, and yeh it was a version of paganini's 5th caprice tht he won with, prety dam ace i think!

he is a good actor liked him in the outsiders

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by Suspects
    Still the movie is a bit of fun if you don't take it too seriously. As a nipper I went up the Thurso Delta to look for the Crossroads to sell my soul to the devil for music but all I found was Dowpy Dan sleeping at the salmon pool. I left him sleeping but maybe he had the lost song of Robert Johnson. A missed opportunity perhaps .......
    LMAO.....................LOL...................... ......mwahahahaha stop it bey

weel I have Jimi Hendrix's rather dodgy Monterey Pop set (in particular Wild Thing) at 6 years old seeing a guitar on fire on a stage was gaspworthy to say the least, I went mad for a while & then saw Crossroads & that got me into classical guitar (I wish I'd been more dedicated)

So Jimi Hendrix, Ry Cooder & Steve Vai are in the frame for my 1st outside major musical influence

Typical ending or not & musical cover thing aside it was basically instrumental in starting me off. & when did Paganini become Mozart????
    Last edited by Chobbersjnr; 06-Jun-06 at 15:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr
    Typical ending or not & musical cover thing aside it was basically instrumental in starting me off. & when did Paganini become Mozart????
    Ach Chobbers, Pepsi was just utilising journalistic licence

Ach Chobbers, Pepsi was just utilising journalistic licence
    lmao I know I ken him weel................

He might have pointed you to the last dowp, though. In Caithness, Crossroads is a school, and Robert Johnson is a cattle dealer from Watten. Figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr
    weel I have Jimi Hendrix's rather dodgy Monterey Pop set (in particular Wild Thing) at 6 years old seeing a guitar on fire on a stage was gaspworthy to say the least, I went mad for a while & then saw Crossroads & that got me into classical guitar (I wish I'd been more dedicated)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJP3J...20wild%20thing

Here ya go chobbers, Jimi at Monterey

that video rocks i don't care for hendrix's singing too much but what he did with an electric and acousic was increadible. he was on fire that night lol. It is painful watching someone to that to an old fender strat

Quote Originally Posted by theweemidget
    that video rocks i don't care for hendrix's singing too much but what he did with an electric and acousic was increadible. he was on fire that night lol. It is painful watching someone to that to an old fender strat
    that particular guitar was probably straight off the shelf.....................let's not forget that was like..............................1967

late 60's was good for rock. wait somehow i ain't convinced that guitar was off the shelf didn't roger mayer mod hendrix's guitars with preamps and stuff in the neck, so i've read any way. 1 of hendrix's amps turned up on ebay, it was the 1 that the new marshall jh100 is based on rich dickinson's amp this is really special for all you hendrix fans.
    www.richdickinsonsdf.co.uk/hendrix_amp.htm
    Last edited by theweemidget; 10-Jun-06 at 10:33.

Yeah its 'eugenes trick bag' its a rather spectacular party piece i reckon the greatest skill was in Vai trying to play it wrong especially when it was his piece.

Althought the center part is based around paganinnis 5th caprice there is also some other interesting parts try the arpegios at the beggining ide love to see someone get the final note without snapping a string. its a fun warm up piece it used to be my party piece

Quote Originally Posted by tierce-de-picardie
    Yeah its 'eugenes trick bag' its a rather spectacular party piece i reckon the greatest skill was in Vai trying to play it wrong especially when it was his piece.

Althought the center part is based around paganinnis 5th caprice there is also some other interesting parts try the arpegios at the beggining ide love to see someone get the final note without snapping a string. its a fun warm up piece it used to be my party piece
    Marty McFly RULES OK

ooh by the way crossroads is on tonight if anyone wants to see the whole film its hard to get hold of so theres your oportunity

what channel is it on

ITV4 methinks

Quote Originally Posted by tierce-de-picardie
    ooh by the way crossroads is on tonight if anyone wants to see the whole film its hard to get hold of so theres your oportunity
    not saw that film for a few years. would watch it but its without a trace on the night.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

aw wish i read tht earlier, i was jst flickin through the channels, and found it on, nearly done tho, so i dont no if it is passed the guitar duel or not yet! dont think it is tho!
    what is the film actualy about nyway??? i missed most of it and dont really no. i hav only ever seen the guitar duel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast