Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Horse Sense or Band Wagon

Default Horse Sense or Band Wagon

LONDON (Reuters) - It's not just the hooligans -- patriotic football fans who attach flags to their cars could also be in trouble with the law. Police in rural Hampshire have warned motorists that their fluttering flags are frightening the horses.
    "It is commendable that the nation is getting behind their football team, but I do have concerns that motorists may cause an animal to bolt and possibly cause injury to itself, its rider or innocent passers-by," said Police Constable Derek Grist.
    However Grist, the local force's Equine Liaison Officer, cautioned drivers that they could face assault charges if their flag flew off and struck a pedestrian or a cyclist and hurt them. "We are not trying to be killjoys. All we ask for is a little bit of consideration," he said.
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/31052006/80...ng-horses.html

For many years I have been seeing car, coaches etc, flying flags and team scarves for many various sporting events throughout Britain.
    I have also seen flags and pennants flown from vehicles for various other reasons including support for various organisations or as indications of Nationality.

Has anybody heard of any horse bolting or any cyclist or pedestrian being injured by such items, or is this just a case of somebody so full of his own importance that he is determined to create his own five minutes of fame?
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

I really have nothing of value to contribute to this thread, sorry.
    I would, however, like to complement you Jaws on the title of the thread.

My viewpoint may be blinkered but I've been champing at the bit to say something about it...now I've said my piece I'll trot off.

If there has to be a flag design that should be banned on scariness grounds to other animals and young children then it must be the 'Rampant lion'.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    I really have nothing of value to contribute to this thread, sorry.
    I would, however, like to complement you Jaws on the title of the thread.

My viewpoint may be blinkered but I've been champing at the bit to say something about it...now I've said my piece I'll trot off.
    That was the hardest part.
    Radio Four did quite a lengthy interview with a professor from Manchester who had calculated that cars flying flags would use an extra litre of fuel for every hour driven due to the extra wind resistance. This, of course would mean more CO2 being preduced etc. etc.

I had to check to make sure it was June 1st and not April !st just to be certain they were being serious. And yes they were.
    Apparently the RAC and a couple of other organisations have got in on the act as well.

If I thought for one minute that there were real problems being caused I would be concerned but I just find it ridiculous that the whole nonsense should warrant a serious lengthy discussion on a News Programme.

I'm still trying to decide if it was just another excuse by the Media to talk about England and the World Cup.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.