Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swallows

Default Swallows

I was delighted to see my first swallows of the year today - two lovely wee ones, flitting aboot over the river in Halkirk.

I know they're nothing fancy, but I think they're adoreable, and they serve as a nice wee reminder that summer's on it's way!
    WeeBurd.

On my way to work this morning on the road up to Weydale a single House Martin crossed over the road in front of me against wind and snow Poor wee sod not much food on the go just now
    Was just going to post if this was one of the first that had come back to Caithness
    This is about the time for the first to show up
    The Schoid storm is living up its reputation as normal but the sun will
    shine next week
    Then wait for the May Gobs

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBurd View Post
    I was delighted to see my first swallows of the year today - two lovely wee ones, flitting aboot over the river in Halkirk.

I know they're nothing fancy, but I think they're adoreable, and they serve as a nice wee reminder that summer's on it's way!
    Yer lovely and positive Weeburd!

Quote Originally Posted by whaligoechiel View Post
    The Schoid storm is living up its reputation as normal but the sun will shine next week
    Then wait for the May Gobs
    LOL mibbe no so much positivity from you whaligoechiel (great name btw) but you have a point none-the-less!

Default swallows

theyre back early, is that a sign of a good summer?

hmmm 20th .. that was yesterday lol .... it snowed in wick and castletown so if its a sign of an early spring/summer where is it. Having said that there were a couple down near the sea wall in wick today, its always good to see em back
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Default Martins

Seen a group of 20 or more at the boating pond in Thurso on Monday. Think they were HouseMartins.

Usually about the May day holiday weekend before they usually arrive in Staxigoe. Insects thye feed on won't get going until it warms up.
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

Quote Originally Posted by Stack Rock View Post
    Usually about the May day holiday weekend before they usually arrive in Staxigoe. Insects thye feed on won't get going until it warms up.
    Spoke too soon, first one spotted on my telephone line 30 mins ago
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

Default Swallow arrival and departure

Obviously there are a individual birds that arrive early or leave late. I've seen a swallow over Victoria walk on 23 March but this table from reports received by the county recorder gives a better idea of typical arrival and departure dates.

Latest Lifer: #4164 - Madagascar Rail (Rallus madagascariensis) - Mantadia, Madagascar (09/10/10)

Saw a few around Lybster today.

We're still waiting to see if the Swallows and House Martins return to the eaves of our house and garage; a sure sign that summer has arrived.
    They busied themselves last year and many of the nests had two broods. OK they leave a bit of a mess but cleaning it up at the end of summer is a small price to pay for such wonderful lodgers.
    It's always a great disappointment when they leave but its lovely to know they'll be back.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

We saw Swallows and Snowbuntings on sunday within an half an hour of each other! A real sort of crossover of seasons.
    dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

Saw 2 this afternoon on the phone line great to see them back so early

Default swallows

Our dogs will be delighted they spend the summer chasing swallows with the swallows taking the complete micky with them. Great to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Claw View Post
    Our dogs will be delighted they spend the summer chasing swallows with the swallows taking the complete micky with them. Great to watch
    Would be great to see, any chance of getting a photo or 2

My sister never failed to keep me updated when the first swallow of the year arrived to nest under her eaves. Since I lived in suburbia at the time, this only served to intensify my longing to see the wee swallows once more. She also never forgot to tell me when the last swallow departed for distant shores.

Thumbs up

Had one this afternoon flew into the garage, had a look around and left

Quote Originally Posted by fender View Post
    Had one this afternoon flew into the garage, had a look around and left
    We used to have them nesting in the shed, but since we got a cat they have never come back

There's a couple that come and sit on the phone wire outside my bedroom window every morning. What a noisy pair, wish they didn't waken so early!!
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

A couple of swallows over Castlehill this morning.

Latest Lifer: #4164 - Madagascar Rail (Rallus madagascariensis) - Mantadia, Madagascar (09/10/10)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast