Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Stonecrop?

Default Stonecrop?

Found this on the riverside down by The Bighouse, think it's Stonecrop.

Lizz,

It is Scottish Scurvy Grass (Cochlearia officinalis ssp.scotica is its present Latin name though it has been called Cochlearia scotica). The leaves are edible and contain lots of vitamin C so if sailors had salads on a long sea journey it saved them from getting the Scurvy.

Thank you for the information, I went all through my wild flower book and although the flowers looked familiar the succulent like leaves made me ask the question.
    Would if be safe to gather it from the wild and add to a salad, do you have any idea?

Default Can you eat it?

I am no expert on what is safe to eat! I know that lots of sailors ate it in the past.

Have been reading up on the plant and apparently the leaves can be added to salads and do have certain medicinal properties.
    Will have to collect some although from what I understand it has a very pungent taste which is not appetising to most.

Exclamation

According to my Readers Digest book...
    "In 17th C England it became the fashion to take a glass of Scurvygrass water every morning, just as many people drink orange juice for the same purpose today.
    The leaves were also made into a beer called scurvygrass ale"
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing