Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shell pies

Default Shell pies

I have to say Johnston's of Thurso shell pies are beautiful. I find their pastries far nicer than the bakers in Wick too.

Default pies

thurso shell pies are good but i find they arent what they used to be something lacking in them

they are nice but you really dont want to know what goes in them

aahhhemmm -- I am the pie master and agree the pies in Johnstones are not too bad - but there isnt enough free ones available to council workers. Also when we are on the subect I have a couple of other questions.
    Why was Johnstones shut on Monday... I was left high and dry without a pie.
    I had to eat filled rolls and I wasnt right all day. Also, i went the local shop two weeks ago whilst doing my duty as a council operative, as I am willing to comprimise when Johnstones arent near by, and went for a pork pie as a substitute. When I went to pay for the pie the guy asked for £1.29......"WHIT"....."I'll no bother". I wouldnt mind going to say maybe 90p or even 95p, but £1.29 for a lower standard pie....I dont know what this world is coming to. Anyways am all wound up now about pies, Im away for a lay doon for a while.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late
    I have to say Johnston's of Thurso shell pies are beautiful. I find their pastries far nicer than the bakers in Wick too.
    not a big pie fan but dont mind a bit of theres. its the yum yums i like. sickly sweet but yum yummy. a wee treat now and again.

Default shell pie

You canne beat a killie pie. long way to get one but boy is it far superior to the ones you get up here.

Macdonalds Bakery's steak pies are pretty good too....
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Johnstones pies are good, but macdonalds pies can be good nfor a change. The cliff bakery in Wick has the best morning rolls I think.Dont think a lot of their pies.

Quote Originally Posted by acameron
    aahhhemmm -- I am the pie master and agree the pies in Johnstones are not too bad - but there isnt enough free ones available to council workers. Also when we are on the subect I have a couple of other questions.
    Why was Johnstones shut on Monday... I was left high and dry without a pie.
    I had to eat filled rolls and I wasnt right all day. Also, i went the local shop two weeks ago whilst doing my duty as a council operative, as I am willing to comprimise when Johnstones arent near by, and went for a pork pie as a substitute. When I went to pay for the pie the guy asked for £1.29......"WHIT"....."I'll no bother". I wouldnt mind going to say maybe 90p or even 95p, but £1.29 for a lower standard pie....I dont know what this world is coming to. Anyways am all wound up now about pies, Im away for a lay doon for a while.

well well ac if you feel that strongly aboot yer pie's maybe you should open your own pie shop then.......but by the sounds of it there wouldnt be many pie's to sell....
    I think you got a wee bit excited aboot the price o a pork pie, mind you if it wiz a wee one then a totally understand....
    Have you ever concidered getting a pie maker and make yer own lol

Quote Originally Posted by emszxr
    Doesn't bother me one bit. As long as they taste nice I don't care.

unicorn Guest

I love the shells on Johnstons pies.

Johnstones was closed bcos it was a bank holiday i think.

too late billy boy - pie making machine in the kitchen - going 24/7

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bluewickers
    You canne beat a killie pie. long way to get one but boy is it far superior to the ones you get up here.
    whats the saying for that
    say aye tae a killie pie.

krieve Guest

mmmmmmmm just having one right now yum yum yum lol

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by obiron
    not a big pie fan but dont mind a bit of theres. its the yum yums i like. sickly sweet but yum yummy. a wee treat now and again.
    Try the yum-yums with cream in them - I think they only do them Fridays/Saturdays. It takes a bit of the sickly sweet edge off but the confectioners cream adds a certain je ne sais quoi which makes them irresistable. Now I know where they get their name from...

Cool Yum Yum

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late
    Have to agree here when I visited in 2004 I had to take a couple of dozen pies down to my kid sister who loves them,That way she wont get up me for going past to Thurso first,I did not get a taste as she hides them as soon as I give them to her,hope she dosent see this
    Last edited by darkie@dreamtilt.com.au; 30-Apr-06 at 06:55.

Default Shell pies

Johnstons shell pies have really gone down hill. give me a pie shop one anyday or even a houstons

Quote Originally Posted by emszxr
    what exactly does go in them??

donss Guest

Default Australian Scoch Pies....

for anyone travelling to or lucky enough to live on the South side of Brisbane: Try Syds Pies, just down from the Hyperdome at Loganholme (see: http://www.highlandflingproducts.com )

Best Scottish Pies in the Southern Hemisphere!!! Used to call in regularly on my way to work........ Hmmmm! Nearly as good as a pie on the beach at Cardwell!!!

Darkie: Don't miss this when you travel up to Qld next.......

Oh: And I remember a few years ago that there was a deli in Penrith Plaza, bottom of the Blue Mountains (West of Sydney) that did great pies too. Ahhh, I can't wait to go back!
    Last edited by donss; 04-May-06 at 13:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast