Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Halkirk Sports Centre

Default Halkirk Sports Centre

I see that the full application for planning is in. I wonder what difference it will make to the life in the village. Must be good for all who would use it.
    You can fool some of the people some of the time - but never all of the people all of the time!!

How much are they going to charge? Its all very well getting funding to build it how are they going to manage to keep it open? Hopefully local clubs will get some sort of discount for regular use.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Default Sports Centre

I think they are going to hold corporate events...and yes its an ambitious project....but I cannot wait...its a footer for me to go to Thurso or Wick to use their facilities.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

i would think it would make a big impact on the village all for the good,people from near and far will come and use it,and bring extra money in to the village,it can only be good surely?

I totally agree with you.
    I have no idea what the membership policy will be, but I await a comment from any person involved with the project.
    You can fool some of the people some of the time - but never all of the people all of the time!!

Astra Guest

not so good for them that live in wick or futher a field .

Quote Originally Posted by Astra
    not so good for them that live in wick or futher a field .
    Am I right in thinking that Halkirk is not that far from anywhere in Caithness.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Am I right in thinking that Halkirk is not that far from anywhere in Caithness.
    Exactly, it's just in the ideal place so that people from Wick or Thurso can go..
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Astra Guest

Thurso is only 7 mile from Halkrik and wick is 15 but not only that John O Groats , Dunbeath. Anyway has halkrik got the population to keep it busy mind it is costing million to build and that money has to be made back.

Quote Originally Posted by Astra
    Thurso is only 7 mile from Halkrik and wick is 15 but not only that John O Groats , Dunbeath. Anyway has halkrik got the population to keep it busy mind it is costing million to build and that money has to be made back.
    I think you will find that the bulk of the cost is donated by an Expat villager and grants.
    I think Dunbeath and John o Groats are within 25 mile of the village.
    Sorry, I just checked and J o G is 26 miles.
    Last edited by JimH; 31-May-06 at 23:23.