Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentland Firth Sunset.

1. Default Pentland Firth Sunset.

Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 16-Apr-10 at 18:25.

Please don't take offence MPH - but that photo looks too stunning to be actually believable!!

Have you done some of your "little tweaks" to it?

IF you haven't then please accept my apologies - cos' as I've just said, that is one beautiful photograph !!
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    Please don't take offence MPH - but that photo looks too stunning to be actually believable!!

Have you done some of your "little tweaks" to it?

IF you haven't then please accept my apologies - cos' as I've just said, that is one beautiful photograph !!
    No offence taken whatsoever.I always do little tweaks to photos although sometimes the result is more to do with camera filters,rather than photoshop.
    This shot was taken with 5 stops worth of ND Gradient filters and a 2 stop sunset filter to reduce the glare from the sun,this also has the effect of making the colours deeper and richer,even with this you can still see the bright white areas around the sun where it is still over exposed.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 16-Apr-10 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    No offence taken whatsoever.I always do little tweaks to photos although sometimes the result is more to do with camera filters,rather than photoshop.
    This shot was taken with a 5 stops worth ND Gradient filter and a 1 stop sunset filter to reduce the glare from the sun,this also has the effect of making the colours deeper and richer,even with this you can still see the bright white areas around the sun where it is still over exposed.
    Oh Gosh, I've gotten myself in deep waters here MPH !!
    TBH, I haven't got the first clue about photography/cameras!

I was just wondering if there was "something done" to make the sky look like that !!

Excuse my ignorance please, I just thought it a lovely photograph, but possibly a little "tweaked" - though not even a clue how !

Just to summarise - 'Ats a right bonny picture 'at!"
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

5. Default

Oh Gosh, I've gotten myself in deep waters here MPH !!
    TBH, I haven't got the first clue about photography/cameras!

I was just wondering if there was "something done" to make the sky look like that !!

Excuse my ignorance please, I just thought it a lovely photograph, but possibly a little "tweaked" - though not even a clue how !

Just to summarise - 'Ats a right bonny picture 'at!"
    The clouds are just as they were,the only change is they are darker and the colour richer than it would have actually been.No worries,i always tweak otherwise i get bored.Am pleased you like it.

I love the colouring.

Fab shot.
    Live the dream, don't dream the life

Stunning photo MPH.

cherokee - If you like the image does it matter how it was produced?

Your implication is that it would lessen your appeal to an image just by knowing if it had been altered in some way. I'm not clear where this mentality originates from or why.

Whether film or digital, original or filtered / altered, the resulting image has been produced using a man made device that captures light and stores it artificially (on plastic silver coated film or a digital storage card).

If the end result pleases the viewer, surely that is all that matters?
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Stunning photo MPH.

cherokee - If you like the image does it matter how it was produced?

Your implication is that it would lessen your appeal to an image just by knowing if it had been altered in some way. I'm not clear where this mentality originates from or why.

Whether film or digital, original or filtered / altered, the resulting image has been produced using a man made device that captures light and stores it artificially (on plastic silver coated film or a digital storage card).

If the end result pleases the viewer, surely that is all that matters?
    Well!

I obviously haven't upset Mystical Potato Head...... so why are you upset, Deemac?

I fully admit to knowing nothing at all about photography, but I'm surely allowed to be able to appreciate a beautiful photograph, and state my opinion on same, without being lambasted!!

I very rarely comment on any photographs on here, (though I think so many of them are absolutley stunning !!!) so to make a wee enquiry (admittedly *hands held very high* through photographic ignorance!) about a photo I like, hardly requires a defintion of where "my mentality comes from" ........????

Very interesting MPH. I keep forgetting that I have a series of filters, must get them out and use them especially for sunsets, thank you for the nudge.

Absolutely stunning MPH!

Great shot MPH.

nirofo.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

That's an absolutely gorgeous photo, MPH!
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

13. Default

Well!

I obviously haven't upset Mystical Potato Head...... so why are you upset, Deemac?

I fully admit to knowing nothing at all about photography, but I'm surely allowed to be able to appreciate a beautiful photograph, and state my opinion on same, without being lambasted!!

I very rarely comment on any photographs on here, (though I think so many of them are absolutley stunning !!!) so to make a wee enquiry (admittedly *hands held very high* through photographic ignorance!) about a photo I like, hardly requires a defintion of where "my mentality comes from" ........????
    Dont think Deemac is meaning to "lambast " you personally but he,like me i think, has had several "debates" with people who criticise and indeed dismiss our photos because they are photoshopped.(i know you werent criticising,you were just asking what i had done to it and i have no probs with that whatsoever.)

I had one orger, who posts on this forum, in my house looking at photos on my computer and he really liked a vivid sunset i showed him but when i told him i had boosted the colours in photoshop he turned his nose up at it and said "oh,i dont like photos that are photoshopped"" but it was a photo that at first glance he LIKED!!!
    Its that attitude that I and Deemac find hard to understand.
    To me a beautiful image is just that,whether its straight out of the camera or photoshopped to hell and back.

Thanks for all your comments btw.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 17-Apr-10 at 16:29.

MPH that is a stunning photograph - the sky looks as if it could be on fire!
    I understand what you've done. IMHO whether a photographer uses filters or Photoshop or any combination thereof, if the photograph does something for the viewer it's a winner.
    I can imagine many mariners would love this hanging on their wall.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

....Savage!!
    dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

Gorgeous picture regardless of what's been done to it.

That's a stunner!

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dafi View Post
    ....Savage!!
    I hope thats good Dafi.

Quote Originally Posted by dafi View Post
    ....Savage!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    I hope thats good Dafi.

Hahaha! I thought they meant Deemac's post!!!

Default Pentland Firth Sunset.

Stunning photo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast