Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mowats/Westerdale/ Halkirk

Default Mowats and Grumbeg

Hello Spitallhill, where exactly is the Grumbeg burial ground?

Default Grumbeg

Just a short distance from Grummore, back up the road towards Syre. There is a photo of it on undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/bettyhill/strathnaver; also on geograph.org.uk - a great site for photographs.
    spittalhill

Default Trinkie - Mowats of Freswick and Skirza

yes I am connected to these Mowats
    but what are the dates for James please ..lol have to follow your own advice you know.

Mamie

Smile Isabella Mowat

Hi Flora,
    I am happy to have been of help. My information comes from my uncle Alistairs book. I also regret the fact that I have knowone left to gather family history from. Reading one of my fathers letters to my mother during the war he mentions meeting his Mowat cousin, but that is all I know.b

Default Isabella Mowat

I am very pleased to have been of some help, the information came from my Uncle Alistairs book, my fathers older brother. My father mentioned in a letter sent during the war to my mother that he had met his Mowat cousin perhaps in France that is all I know about the family.I hope that you will find the book interesting.I would like to trace my Sinclair family I am sure that there must be some of them still living in Caithness.

Default sutherland graveyards

thanks Spittalhill for all your information ,I had a quick look at countysutherland it looks like agreat site, Ithink I may have even found a photo of Roderick Rosses sister and other fantastic information £6-00 for a one off fee does'nt seem bad to me Regards Flora

Default Peggys Sinclairs

Hi Peggy thanks for your kind reply,unfortunately the Sinclairs like the Mowats and Rosses are many but I'm sure there are lots of folk out there ready and willing to guide you in the right direction, if you hav'nt done any research before.I have found on FREECEN in the 1871 census John & Isabella living at Strathmore road Westerdale with 3 daughters, no sons yet, John was a bootmaker like Donald Ross Donaldinas husband. Good luck and if I find any info' I'll pass it on.regards Flora

Smile Isabella Mowat

Thankyou Spittalhill, yes he was my uncle, I spent all my holidays at Dunbeath, my grandmother also lived with him there. I have many happy memories from that time.

Default Isabella Mowat

Thankyou Spittalhill, Yes he was my Uncle, I spent many happy holidays in Dunbeath. All the information I have about my greatgrandmother comes from my uncles book which I hope you enjoy Flora it really tells you how things were then. I have no information about the Sinclairs except that they were farmers.

Default Isabella Mowat

I am afraid I am a complete beginner at all this, I have not got the hang of it yet, hence the doubling up of replies, sorry about that.

Hi Peggy don't worry about it we all have to start somewhere I'm not that good either must be the wrinkles !!! Flora

Default My Uncle George

Hello to you all again , I got the book and never put it down, Ithink my favourite bit was the out of hours drinking and poor Kenny, if it happend today I'm not sure who he would sue, a great book,. Does anyone know if Alastair Phillips parents were Isabella Sinclair and James Phillips? married at Thurso !903 acording to S,P,I may as well add them to the tree as I don't seem to be getting any further back on the other line. regards Flora

Default isabella moway

Hi Flora, thanks for your kind words!I have found loads of information about the Mowats from an American site, http/www.brianjester.us/tree3/family.php?faqmid=F033 I found the site by accident, looking for the Sinclair side. If you have a problem finding it, go to Alexander Sinclair 10099 PhpGedView you will find the Mowats, its facinating going right back to the seventeen hundreds. Alistair Phillips was my Uncle, my father being the youngest brother.

Default .

Hi Peggy Sorry to take so long getting back to you I wasn't getting very far with this branch so I went off in another direction. thanks for the information I did try them but was sent right back here as acording to google there was nothing else to match I did eventually get to Gedview and although I ddn't find the site you are on about I did find a lot on Brian Jester so I guess I had better just keep on trying.I hope your Sinclair tree is comming along and you havn't hit any walls yet regards Flora

Hi,as far as I am aware, I am currently renovating the house which John Sinclairs son traded from. His son was Alexander Sinclair. John was killed in a train accident at Scotscalder. Maybe John lived there st some point-just over the bridge at Westerdale.

Got some old photos as well. Mostly I think 1920-1930. One defo older showing man and wife with 3 bairns outside the house.Me thinks around 1900.

Default John Sinclair

Hi David, are you doing the house up for yourself to live in? did you find the pic's in the house or is it your own collection? it all sounds very exciting, I am wondering if you are on site are there any Mowat's or Ross's about. WE will be coming up to Caithness shortly and wonderd if you are on site, would you let us take a look at both house and pics' we wouldn't be any trouble Regards Flora

That would be no bother, though you would be best to pm me before you get here.

Regards David

Default Sinclairs

Hi David Thanks for your Reply, I have never sent a PM on here before how do I go about it , does it stay private?

Hi, just click on my name and it will give you the facility to pm. It stays private.

Best David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast