Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who were the first live band you went to see

a saw a lot of counry bands at nashville, but most noticed band was sergeant last year when they played in wick.

bloomin amazin!!

mines wid hev til be auld addie, ina miller an her brither bobby coghill. oh...an ma brither too. it wis in 'e mackays hotel.

da ken 'e name o' 'e band, i wis only aboot 6 at 'e time
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

First band I went to see was Voodoqueen or Rehab Rejects. Can't remember which was first, but they were the reason I started taking drumming seriously.

First gig gig was Kings Of Leon in the Corn Exchange in Edinburgh. 2003 maybe? Can't remember but was amazing.
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

My first taste of live music was being taken to the Mercury Motor Inn to see a country and western duo called The Marlettes. As far as I can remember, the lassie played an acoustic guitar and the bloke played the pedal steel guitar. I must have been about 7 years old.

I vividly remember being taken to the High School assembly hall to see The Corries, too, second row seats. That was definitely before I was a pupil there, maybe 1975/76-ish.

Mind you, all of this was interspersed with regular yearly attendances of the Viewfirth Folk Festival.

My first trip south to see a gig was in 1990, SECC, Metallica supported by Warrior Soul. Awe + some.

Edit: Free sound clips of The Marlettes available here. Eee, that brings back memories. Blanket On The Ground and Wolverton Mountain.
    Last edited by Metalattakk; 11-Apr-10 at 04:22.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

First gig I went to was Leeds Festival in 2000, first band I saw that weekend were My Vitriol.

My 1st gig was Anthrax supported by Testament 1987

paul young in leeds mid 80's.

i would have loved to have seen queen. freddie was such a showman. that was my husbands first gig.

Smile

My 1st was the late great Rory Gallagher in the Caley Hotel, Inverness in 1971. The support act was the keyboard dominated Greenslade which thinking about it now was a strange combination.

Talking

Excluding local bands playing in bars etc, my first proper gig was Metallica, 24th Sept 1988 in the Edinburgh Playhouse. Me and Zappster queued for around 2 hours after the gig to meet the band, I was 17yrs old, and James Hetfield was God to me, and they spoke to us, me and Zappster were totally starstruck and as we walked back to our B&B afterwards, we were just a couple of gibbering fools, especially as Zappster was wearing a tour t-shirt that the band hadnt seen before, so James Hetfield struck up a conversation with him..., it was just one of the greatest moments of my youth , that innocence is missed badly

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    1963!! I remember it well.
    LOL. If you can remember it, you weren`t there

Quote Originally Posted by evelyn View Post
    LOL. If you can remember it, you weren`t there
    I was certainly there. It was my band and my memory was still working in those days. These were the first regular gigs I ever played. I was only 19.

My first live band was at a local tennis club dance back in 1960's Dublin. They were then called The Downbeats, and later went on to become one of Ireland's premier showbands, Dickie Rock and The Miami Showband.
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

U2 in Aberdeen before they hit the very big time--1979 i think--lives with me to this day though they have become a bit foolish now

Genesis - Apollo Theatre, Glasgow in 1980 ("The Duke" Tour - I know, not Genesis at their best!)

I got pick-pocketed while in the queue and only discovered after waiting for 2 or 3 hours and could only afford an upper circle seat at £2!!
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

KISS in the 80's there was paul stanley lookalikes everywhere. I think it was that concert we started chanting at the tv cameras outs side "Terry Christians a p...."

Got dragged to many a band in the Weigh Inn during the late-70s/ early 80s but too young at the time to remember any of them. Saying that, I was always fascinated with the drums, especially clear-skinned toms that had a big black dot in the middle. Got a chance to hit one or two of them now and again, as well.

First (outside Caithness) band I remember seeing was Blues 'N' Trouble at Millbank in June 1989. Will never forget the massive bass presence they had hitting me in the chest, as I gulped down my can of Sweetheart Stout from the side of the stage. Barracuda were supporting that night, incidentally.

First band I travelled to see was either The Black Crowes (Barras) or Helloween (Cathouse) in 1990.

First band I ever saw outside of the UK (America) was Public Enemy and Ice-T in 1991.

Against The Grain

Long time ago.

He he.

Great drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Against The Grain

Long time ago.

He he.

Great drummer.

Deemac was that drummer!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Excluding local bands playing in bars etc, my first proper gig was Metallica, 24th Sept 1988 in the Edinburgh Playhouse. Me and Zappster queued for around 2 hours after the gig to meet the band, I was 17yrs old, and James Hetfield was God to me, and they spoke to us, me and Zappster were totally starstruck and as we walked back to our B&B afterwards, we were just a couple of gibbering fools, especially as Zappster was wearing a tour t-shirt that the band hadnt seen before, so James Hetfield struck up a conversation with him..., it was just one of the greatest moments of my youth , that innocence is missed badly
    Haha good times Giz!! Mind we got lost trying to find the B&B coz wur heeds were in the clouds!!

Queen at Wembley Area, they were superb. I then went to every big gig going, including Michael Jackson, Thriller Tour and Madonna on the Virgin Tour, Rolling Stones to name but a few. Also Wham !!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast