Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who were the first live band you went to see

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    Now the first band I ever saw (in Caithness) was Z-Rox. Sometime late 1985 in the Sheilling Bar, Thurso (upstairs). Was quite impressed with their overall production (lights, smoke machine, FOH desk, backdrop etc.). The high stacked PA would wobble to and fro and the floor bent with all the punters jumping about!! (I believe eventually someone almost went through that floor - only to be saved by the carpet!!) It was loud and heavy, just the way I liked it when I was much, MUCH younger.
    Didn't you support them at Scapa House? I remember knocking over their P.A.!

What band was the bloke who had the music shop in? Im sure I seen them in the Shieling in 85.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deemac
    Now the first band I ever saw (in Caithness) was Z-Rox. Sometime late 1985 in the Sheilling Bar, Thurso (upstairs). Was quite impressed with their overall production (lights, smoke machine, FOH desk, backdrop etc.). The high stacked PA would wobble to and fro and the floor bent with all the punters jumping about!! (I believe eventually someone almost went through that floor - only to be saved by the carpet!!) It was loud and heavy, just the way I liked it when I was much, MUCH younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Potato Head View Post
    Now i remember that.They did a Hallowen gig there and i think it was Dave Craig the guitarist
    had face make up like KISS.
    Well both stories are correct but I can't remember if it was the same night. I suspect that the floor incident was a few years later.

Certainly one Halloween (circa 1985/86) the entire band were made up as Kiss for the Halloween gig in the Sheiling. As usual the place was absolutely heaving and probably 100+ people over their fire limit! And as usual the floor bounced from all the folk in there dancing and bouncing up and down and so the PA stacks were moving to and fro. That happened every time Z-ROX played the Sheiling (and had the usual crowd).

At some point during a Z-ROX gig the Sheiling floor started to have some problems, and as the night went on, part of the floor appeared to open up. Now you have to remember this was above where the Comm "stage" is now, so it was a big potential drop. And yes, later in the night the floor gave way (as did the ceiling underneath) and someone was only saved from falling through completely by the carpet, which held that person in place. I also recall that wasn't the end of the night and a barrier was put up around the area for the rest of the night - during which the band completed their set - and over a few weeks until it was repaired. I also thing the band played again while the floor was still "in part" barriered off.

GNG
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bazeye View Post
    What band was the bloke who had the music shop in? Im sure I seen them in the Shieling in 85.
    "The bloke who had the music shop" was most probably James Sutherland who worked in Shearers Music Shop, not to be confused with a different James Sutherland who bought the Thurso Music Shop from Shearers after Shearers gave it up about 10 years ago.

James was the singer with Radio City, The Blonde Brothers and (eventually) Z-ROX, and he is the best front man I have ever known. He also sang with "Roadworks" in the 1990s. It did take him some persuasion to join Z-ROX in 1985. In my opinion the remaining members of "Close Action" which formed the Z-ROX backbone were the best and most dedicated amateur working musicians - as a rock band - in the north of Scotland. I believe that the "carrot" was the fact that Close Action had secured a contract to support the 1985 Golspie festival supporting RunRig, who were really big at the time. The rest, as they say, is history. Whether it was good or bad history is your own opinion!

GNG

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Didn't you support them at Scapa House? I remember knocking over their P.A.!

As you know Caithness has long memories and so the invoice for repair is on its way to you right now....... I promised the guy who fitted the replacement speakers that he'd get paid at some point!

Default first band live

first band live in caithness -the whole hogg.
    first album selling band - AC/DC @ s.e.c.c. in 2000,amazing and deaf for a week!
    last band seen - lynyrd skynyrd @ clyde auditorium.a lifetime dream fulfilled.
    long live rock'n'roll !!!
    Last edited by hasterhall; 09-May-10 at 20:16.

First band I remember seeing was the McCallmans down in Granton on Spey i think. They were good
    First band by choice that I saw was Red Hot Chili Peppers at Hampden Thursday 23 August 2007. They were awful.
    Last band I saw were U2 at hampden 18th August 2009. They were magnificent
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

My better half demands that I have to mention that the band that sticks in her mind is a band called Nightschool, they played a lot in the Viewfirth I think she fancied the singer, they played a lot of Cars and there own stuff, they were good as i remember
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234