Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand National

Default Grand National

Well it is the Grand National on Saturday afternoon. Who will be having a Punt on a Horse and do you have particular horse that you favour?

In the early 60's I used to have a Bet on the National but have not done so for 45 years now. MMMM I might do so this year, dont know why but you never know I could pick the winner

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I don't watch it or bet on it, as I don't support animal cruelty.

I know the horses are supposed to love it, but these horses didn't.

Ruby walsh is 1 i watch quite often,i will be putting a few bets on,last year a 25 to 1 won the national so its anybody's race!

Used to pick a horse out of a hat for the sweep at work and as im not there I wont even do that!
    Havent got a clue about how to bet or choose a horse anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbychic View Post

Well said Shabbychic.
    A very cruel race which could easily be made more humane, and still retain the excitement for the punters.
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbychic View Post

100 % agree.
    Anyone that bets on it is supporting animal cruelty.
    *waits for the hypocrital, normally animal loving, horsey bunch to appear*

Well, I was going to ask if anyone wanted a cyber sweep . a horse for each org member but after that response, I dont think Ill bother
    Cmey e Scorries

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post
    Well, I was going to ask if anyone wanted a cyber sweep . a horse for each org member but after that response, I dont think Ill bother
    Why ?? .. Go ahead Amy with the Cyber Sweep .. I'll have "Comply or Die" please.

If certain people dont approve of the race thats their view and their entitled to it. Just like others are entitled to ignore it, and have a cyber sweep if THEY want.

Default Aintree - The Killing Fields or They Shoot Horses Don't They

Five horses were killed at the Grand National meeting in 2009 and in the last 10 years, 30 horses have been killed at Aintree

Since March 2007 over 500 horses have died on British race courses.

That extremely radical organisation, the RSPCA have made two suggestions to the organisers for this years race

(1) To stop jockeys "overusing" whip
    (2) For jockeys to pull up "tired" horses.

At time of posting their requests have fallen on deaf ears and the race will continue tomorrow as normal.

Now forgive me as I have never been a jockey, and my experience of riding is limited to a few goes down country lanes on a friends horse, but why do jockeys need to use whips in the first place?.

Surely if a horse is enjoying running in the national, or any other horse race for that matter, they would not need to be viciously whipped as we see time and time again on TV.

As for riding a horse that can not complete course, that is animal cruelty and organisers should face charges for it. The jockeys volunteer/get picked for race, the horse does not and is forced to undertake a long and hazardous race.
    Why can't the race be shorter and the fences lower? you only have to look at the fences after the horses have jumped them to see that the horses can not clear them.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade

Default Aintree

I had the pleasure of being at the grand national meeting a few years back as we had a horse run in the foxhunter race which is run over the national fences but just one circuit as opposed to the 2 circuits in the grand national so i also had the pleasure of walking the course to see where best to try and place our horse and whilst i agree that yes some of the fences are huge they still remain inviting and if the horses do hit them which of course happens the tops of the fences are soft pine as opposed to the stiff birch of normal chase fences hence they can go through the top of them so what may appear to be a 6ft hedge is actually about 4ft but i do think that the 2 circuits can be to much of a strain on some of the horses as like i said the foxhunters only do 1 and that was tiring enough needless to say ours came a very credable 4th so having gone on abit which i apologise for i will have a bet on last years winner and tricky trickster
    If you look carefully 8/10 times the jockeys don't actually hit the horse they wave along thier flanks but don't touch the horse as they are only allowed to hit a certain amount of times as they get a racing ban of 3days+and a fine
    Last edited by madman; 09-Apr-10 at 16:19.

I‘m in a quandary, after looking at the link posted by Shabbychic I’m quite shocked. After reading Anfield’s, “Aintree - The Killing Fields or They Shoot Horses Don't They”; I can’t decide.
    Keeping and training a horse for racing is expensive so I can’t imagine owners would be blasé about any loses. So what is it that makes them risk all that expense and the possible death of a horse in the off chance that they might win a race?
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Well it is the Grand National on Saturday afternoon. Who will be having a Punt on a Horse and do you have particular horse that you favour?

In the early 60's I used to have a Bet on the National but have not done so for 45 years now. MMMM I might do so this year, dont know why but you never know I could pick the winner

I pulled "The Package" out the sweepstake and im chuffed with that, the race is a bit of a cavlary charge though so it could be any horse.

I dont like to hear that a racehorse has died but it is there profession, man and horse have always taken risks together be it in racing or the warfare of old so any outright ban on what is a noble sport for a noble animal I am totally against

I do think however the big races do need to look at the pressure they are putting on the horses. Accidents will happen but like any sport we need to make sure we reduce the risk to both rider and horse as much as possible.

personally, im pulling for black apalachie... couldnt tell you what hubby has bets on though! *G*
    http://itqueries.com/

just read the aintree one.. looks like a lot of then dropped dead from heart attacks or similar. i know from past races the aintree grand national is a very exhausting one.. and have seen where horses have collapsed after crossing the finish line.
    now i wonder purley out of curiosity how many horses are killed or die in a year outside of races? in the show rings, cross country, on a hack or even in a field where they should be safe. i know for a fact horses quite often have fatal accidents in their own fields.
    we live in a very horsey community would like to hear from any of the horsey folks what they think on these questions.. thanks brandy
    http://itqueries.com/

Default Grand National

Perhaps if all the do gooders hadn't been so quick to bring in the ban on foxhunting, where most point to point, hurdle and steeplechasers learnt their trade we would not see so many 'novice' horses competing. How would Red Rum have felt if the National had been banned?

The Package & Niche Market

Quote Originally Posted by rhoda View Post
    Perhaps if all the do gooders hadn't been so quick to bring in the ban on foxhunting, where most point to point, hurdle and steeplechasers learnt their trade we would not see so many 'novice' horses competing. How would Red Rum have felt if the National had been banned?
    I think you will find that the ban on hunting does NOT include horses.
    Only a small point I know but very important.
    p.m. me if you require further clarification on Hunting Ban!

Can I just ask,for sure, Do horses like to gallop then run and sprint ?? then jump ??

And I can I also ask, are there people nowadays who are offended by absolutely everything that everyone else used to call a tradition ?

If Horse racing is cruel, the RSPCA will surely put an end to it? And how many races are there in the UK in 365 days a year ??

Some people just , imo, live to be offended or am I just mad ?
    Cmey e Scorries

An open question to all:-

If all Horse Racing was Banned what do you think would happen to the Horses?

Would as many Horses be still bred at the Stud Farms if all Horse Racing was Banned?

I really do not want to think what would happen to the Horses if racing was Banned, the thought is just too horrible.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Glue factory workers would get a lot of overtime and the french would have a feast day.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast