Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Isabella Nicolson 1850

Default Isabella Nicolson 1850

I am interested in any information on Isabella Nicolson born 1850 she lived in Thurso or surrounding area and married a Mackay. They emigrated to Perth Australia.

I am also keen to here from any of her surviving relatives in Australia

Thanks

Mike Pridgeon

Default Isabella Nicolson

Hi -
    There's an entry in the 1851 census for Isabella Nicolson, born 1850
    parents William and Catherine, siblings Peter and Benjamin.
    address Tower Hill Thurso.
    Is this the family?

This family is not part of my Tree .

Please can you give as much info as possible, that makes it easier for folk to help you.

Good luck with your search,
    Trinkie

Hi Mike,

I recognise your Isabella Nicolson. She was born 11 January 1850, the third of ten children whose parents were William Nicolson & Catherine Alexander. She is my second cousin, 3 times removed.

John

Smile Isabella Nicolson

Hi John

Thanks for getting in touch with regards to Isabella Nicolson do you have any further information regarding her and her family and are you willing to share information on your family tree?

I am eager to learn more about this distant branch of my family

I look forward to your response

Thanks

Mike Pridgeon
    Liverpool

Is Isabella's mother Catherine Alexander, the daughter of Benjamin Alexander and Christina Waters? Just wondered, with there being a sibling Benjamin. If so, then there is a connection to my family tree too.

Hi Susan,

I don't have Catherine's birth details. The second son born to the family was called Benjamin and the second daughter (should have been first?) was named Christina. According to various census returns, Catherine was born in Bower. My last item for her was in the 1891 census, a widow, living at Princes Street, Thurso.

John

Hi Mike,

I am descended from Janet Nicolson and Thomas Alsherson/Alexander, no doubt your Isabella is somehow related to Janet. I live near Sydney, though the Alexanders in Perth are cousins from Caithness descended my from great uncle Simon Bremner Alexander. The suburb Alexander Heights is named after this illustrious builder and engineer.

regards Echidna

Hi Echidna,

I am interested in your Thomas Alexander/Janet Nicolson line. According to my records Janet was the 5th of 10 children born to David Nicolson & Helen Barnie of Slickly, Canisbay. So far there is no connection with the David Nicolson/Mary Coghill line, which is Wick, Bower and Dunnet based.

Both Thomas and Janet died young - Thomas 28 Oct 1829 and Janet 15 April 1834. They are both buried in Keiss Cemetery. They had been married less than 9 years when Thomas died so who brought up their children?

John

Hi John,
    the children of Thomas and Janet were bought up by the Nicolson grandparents, David and Helen. You will see them listed in the 1841 Census, with the boys occupations listed as "orphan ditch labourers" for their grandfather at Strubster (Stroupster Farm) Slickly!!! David and Helen are buried at Canisbay Kirkyard and Thomas and Janet at Keiss. I would love to know more about their early demises, and research continues from these antipodean shores. I presumed all the Nicolsons in the north were descendants of John Nikkleson girnelman at Watten, who originally came from Newcastle on Tyne, and they are mentioned as a distinct line in the Clan MacNeil history/genealogy book. So there should be a link their somewhere in the family tree. Recent research indicates that the Alsherson/Alexanders arrived in Caithness with Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy in 1680, and were his vassals, from Menstrie and Clackmannan. I am continuing with the research to find out if they fought at The Battle Altimarlach (the Burn of Theives!), and then stayed to establish a kind of hegemony for Campbell's ambit claim on the Earldom of Caithness. Anyone's thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated. http://sinclair.quarterman.org/histo...timarlach.html

regards Echidna
    IDA is just an 'e' short of an IDEA!