Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Another case of the managers taking things too far i see / Coastguard team resign

That about sums it up WITCH HUNT

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post
    That about sums it up WITCH HUNT
    Seems like there's a precedent from 2007 in Stornoway:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-169982061.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kirdon View Post
    From the horses mouth, as the saying goes, Wrong!!. After having a chat with one of the team in question it appears approximately 7 months ago Mr Macleod brought up with lower management, an issue of the team missing callouts to Wick Airport (as Wick is a small place all the emergency services muck in). Lower management gave no backing so he had to go higher, eventually higher management tasked lower management to get it sorted out and the issue was put back to the original situation. Proving Mr Macleod right. 44 years as a coastguard and 27 years as a special constable and not even a verbal reprimand, 7 months after going to higher management he was put out by lower management? The words quoted to me were "WITCH HUNT".
    If I read this correctly, do I assume the "lower management" is the author of, for example:

There are some good indications that category one responders are working far more closely now than ever before. During the Elgin floods and the hosting of G8 summit, many different agencies acted in support of the primary responder. This support and cooperation is imperative if we are to respond to multiple major incidents. So in terms of supportive working relationships and joined up response Scotland is better prepared now then it was ten years ago.

Taken from:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/...39/0046999.pdf

Seem wrong to me to have such a vociferous facebook campaign in favour of Mr Macleod when it appears no one actually knows the true reason for the reprimand. Would he really be suspended for using a swear word in conversation towards a superior. I read somewhere that it was in relation the a lady in a control centre. Was this the case? Did Mr Macleods comment have a sexist angle?

Red face

would hate to be lying at the foot of a cliff until they got this sorted out, would have to go through face book tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tighsonas4 View Post
    would hate to be lying at the foot of a cliff until they got this sorted out, would have to go through face book tony
    Well said. Sad that things have to go through Facebook or even the Org. It would appear that there is something far wrong. There were no Facebook or Org twenty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Average View Post
    Seem wrong to me to have such a vociferous facebook campaign in favour of Mr Macleod when it appears no one actually knows the true reason for the reprimand. Would he really be suspended for using a swear word in conversation towards a superior. I read somewhere that it was in relation the a lady in a control centre. Was this the case? Did Mr Macleods comment have a sexist angle?
    I think the 2 females in his team would not have resigned if his comments had been sexist. I say good luck to him he started with a back up team of 8 now on facebook it's 800 and still rising.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    I wonder how the local community would react to any new members taking up the positions of those who have left?
    do i detect a veiled threat if there was someone ready to step in/ it is after all a lifesaving excerise were discussing tony

What ever happened to the democratic process of verbal warning, written warning and then dismissal or does this not happen in government positions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tighsonas4 View Post
    do i detect a veiled threat if there was someone ready to step in/ it is after all a lifesaving excerise were discussing tony
    Whoa! Easy, boy!

Tony, I was looking at it from the angle that maybe people who would be willing to 'take up the slack' may be a little unsure about their reception around Wick.
    No veiled threat -quite the opposite, concern that the CG may be compromised when it comes to recruiting replacements.

Wick's a small town and I'll bet there's plenty who would be unable to seperate past problems from those who want to help safeguard the Wick coastline in the future.

For anyone who is interested, I have been advised this subject is featured on the ITV news at six tonight.

Interesting to see that this is not the first time HM Coastguard have "got rid" of someone who did not tow the party line.

Or disciplined someone who behaved in an inappropriate manner...
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirdon View Post
    For anyone who is interested, I have been advised this subject is featured on the ITV news at six tonight.
    Sorry I missed this. Any links?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rourkee View Post
    Interesting to see that this is not the first time HM Coastguard have "got rid" of someone who did not tow the party line.
    Did you mean "tow" or "toe" or neither? Again links would be good. I like to form my own opinion. Thanks.

i can see that 'iss is all getin hyped up....til 'e extreme.

at 'e end o' 'e day, 'e guy swore, spoke indecently...used blastphemy. in a professional position, under enormous pressure. he lost his cool. he made a mistake.
    is 'at acceptable?? there are rules, codes o' practice an' ither policies which hev til be adheared til.
    in a professional position ye must be in control o' yer behaviour at all times, more so when tension levels are high.

am no fishin for an arguement. i da even ken 'e guy, am choost bein diplomatic.

i da ken if i even agree wi' what am sayin
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    i can see that 'iss is all getin hyped up....til 'e extreme.

at 'e end o' 'e day, 'e guy swore, spoke indecently...used blastphemy. in a professional position, under enormous pressure. he lost his cool. he made a mistake.
    is 'at acceptable?? there are rules, codes o' practice an' ither policies which hev til be adheared til.
    in a professional position ye must be in control o' yer behaviour at all times, more so when tension levels are high.

am no fishin for an arguement. i da even ken 'e guy, am choost bein diplomatic.

i da ken if i even agree wi' what am sayin
    Well who knows? It appears to be getting out of control whoever is in control eh????? Hope no one needs rescuing tonight. What is the problem? No one appears to be answering to what is wrong? As said surely one should be with all the said training be in control at all times so what has happened that this has made the headlines, did not this sort of thing happen before a long time ago??????? but no Org, telle or that then????????So why all this carryon through the auspices of the media????????Surely they all have SOLAS certificates so what is the problem??????????Does volunteers get paid???????Thought volunteers did not get paid.

I think you would do well to go lie down in a darkened room. Apart from anything else you seem to be abusing question marks.

Quote Originally Posted by catran View Post
    Well who knows? It appears to be getting out of control whoever is in control eh????? Hope no one needs rescuing tonight. What is the problem? No one appears to be answering to what is wrong? As said surely one should be with all the said training be in control at all times so what has happened that this has made the headlines, did not this sort of thing happen before a long time ago??????? but no Org, telle or that then????????So why all this carryon through the auspices of the media????????Surely they all have SOLAS certificates so what is the problem??????????Does volunteers get paid???????Thought volunteers did not get paid.

No one can be in control all the time were only human after all, has anyone every been on a search to find a missing person that could be hurt when the weather and time is against them, I personal think that if were me i would be saying a swear word too, tensions are very high emotions wild if Norman Macleod only said ONE than gee whiz, he was out searching for hours, and i bet even when he got home the phone would be ringing and he would be working on new areas/ideas for the next day,

i wonder if some people relise how much work and effort go into a operation like this, i certainly dont and if the out come of this was different i would think about trying to join such a dedicated team of men and women who to me look like they would do absultoutly anything to help anyone.

No-one doubts the commitment of the Coastguard volunteers, and the valuable servce they provide, but I think a lot of the outrage and support is based on the assumption that a wee sweary was the cause of this.
    I'd like to know what the issue with the mysterious lady at the control centre was, and how the disciplinary case against Mr Mcleod relates to his comments about her.
    When one joins an organisation like this (with a combination of full-time and volunteer staff) one accepts the rules of the organisation regardless of one's commitment. The managers have to consider the organisation as a whole, and must also consider the laws relating to employment, equality, discrimination etc.
    And if one breaks the rules or behaves in an inappropriate manner, one should expect there to be consequences, regardless of one's previous service or how highly regarded one is in the community.
    Also, the mass resignation makes me wonder about loyalty in the organisation - loyalty to one's mates, against dreadful management, is no doubt a fine thing, but at the expense of public safety... What's that all about?
    Last edited by Tubthumper; 09-Apr-10 at 12:38. Reason: removed getting paid bit, added bit on loyalty
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    No-one doubts the commitment of the Coastguard volunteers, and the valuable servce they provide, but I think a lot of the outrage and support is based on the assumption that a wee sweary was the cause of this.
    I'd like to know what the issue with the mysterious lady at the control centre was, and how the disciplinary case against Mr Mcleod relates to his comments about her.
    When one joins an organisation like this (with a combination of full-time and volunteer staff) one accepts the rules of the organisation regardless of one's commitment. The managers have to consider the organisation as a whole, and must also consider the laws relating to employment, equality, discrimination etc.
    And if one breaks the rules or behaves in an inappropriate manner, one should expect there to be consequences, regardless of one's previous service or how highly regarded one is in the community.
    Also, the mass resignation makes me wonder about loyalty in the organisation - loyalty to one's mates, against dreadful management, is no doubt a fine thing, but at the expense of public safety... What's that all about?
    1, A "wee sweary" was the cause and it was only said on front of two policemen and the Wick Sector Manager. No public, as reported in the papers, heard/overheard the statement.
    2, The issue was that when the lifeboat was calling to Mr Macleod and because of poor radio coverage,he did not reply the said lady called him on his mobile (because she could not contact him by radio due to poor radio coverage) and asked him angerly, "what he was playing at as the lifeboat was calling him and he was not replying". This is all on the offical records stored in I think Aberdeen.
    3, Agreed, but as in a previous post what happened to verbal warnings and written warnings etc, etc.
    4, "at the expense of public safety" the Coastguard in the paper said that the Wick area was aptly covered by the stations on either side (don't know why they bother with a station in Wick if this is the case). On the other hand Mr Macleod has been quoted as saying that if he was contacted by the coastguard for help then he would not hesitate and he would guarantee the rest of the ex team would attend post ASAP. Also Mr Macleod has been approched by the press/tv for statements etc not the other way around.

And no I am NOT Ex station officer Macleod but I am proud to say I know him.
    Last edited by Kirdon; 09-Apr-10 at 20:28.

if everybody had to resign that said a swearword ,,not many poeple would be working

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast