Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another case of the managers taking things too far i see / Coastguard team resign

Default Another case of the managers taking things too far i see / Coastguard team resign

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/8600925.stm

The was i read this is some manager in a cosy office not realising that in stressfull situations need to let off steam, however these guys have just taken the buscuit - to take this further thatn a verbal warning is way over the top. Now some people may say that there is never an excuse for swearing but tbh we all do it and in stressful situation it helps . I think you will mostly agree in backing that stance of the coast gaurd staff (They are VOLENTEERS after all) in backing their station commander. I really gets my goat when peolpe in power abuse it so i thought i wopuld throw this open to discussion.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Admin/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Flying_Lion_Rampant.gif[/IMG]

I dont know anything about this situation. But experience suggests it is usually an accumulation of things. A single episode, which by itself might be ignored, becomes a tipping point.

If I thought that the tale as reported comprised the whole unadulterated story, I'd side with the volunteers. I am however sceptical about anything reported in the press nowadays. There's usually other issues under the surface.
    By the way, when one is a 'volunteer', one undertakes to follow the rules of the organisation. Sometimes people get a bit selective then hide behind the 'I'm a volunteer' excuse. Note that I'm not suggesting that's what happened here.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

Fully support them. Ridiculous situation. I did my last tour in the ARCC and if I had a quid for every time someone swore during a search/medevac/incident I would be a rich man. Those are heated situations where emotions can get the better of you.

If the guy is making that big a deal over one swearing incident during a rescue he needs to unbunch his panties and get a grip.

Well said drunken duck that is how i felt - - yes we do not know the "full"story but it is well over the top and that was the reson for the post.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Admin/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Flying_Lion_Rampant.gif[/IMG]

When the going gets tough, the tough get going - and they often swear while doing so. Speak to the police, the fire service and any of the military where the language and humour can be 'uncomfortabe' to sensitive ears.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

What was 'well over the top'? The volunteers for throwing the toys/ supporting their mate or this manager's response to swearing?
    I support the volunteers for sticking together. But I don't for a minute think that serious disciplinary action came about as a result of a single epsiode of swearing in the heat of the moment - no rescue organisation, services, statutory or volunteer, is that naive. There is more to this. Could someone summarise the case for us please?

I think most people would have sworn to let off a bit of steam under pressure, and these guys more so when adrenalin is running high when on an emergency,

the article even says that mr macleod had said sorry and then received one back later after things had cooled down, which youd think would have ben the end,

so i also think there is more to it because i wouldnt every for a moment think that the coastguards would leave there area unmanned for the sake of 2 grown men having a tiff over swearing.

Exactly Bella, I doubt that the volunteers or the organisation would want to compromise public safety over something like a sweary under pressure.

I believe there was a thread pulled off here a couple of days back that appeared to suggest the situation is a little more complex than would first appear.

Once worked with someone that said that there was three sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wick66 View Post
    Once worked with someone that said that there was three sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth.
    Good one. These days we should always take a wee breath and think of that saying before we form an opinion on anything!

either way its a blooming shame that we now only have 3 volunteers!
    i have every respect for the coastgaurd, they can't be praised enough.
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Mr. Macleod had been station officer for almost 30 years and I think the fact that seven other Coastguard volunteers, with loads of experience, resigned in support speaks volumes. These are dedicated folks who put their lives on the line to come to the aid of others -- so what if they let loose with a swear word now and then. The ones I know are very dedicated and really love what they do -- I seriously doubt they would give it up without very good reason. Almost 200 years of coastguard experience walked out the door -- that is a huge loss.
    Last edited by Margaret M.; 04-Apr-10 at 03:45.

if i was being plucked from the wild sea i wouldn't be giving too hoots if they had sworn or done it naked!
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

I hardly think seven committed volunteers would walk away and leave people at risk just because their mate didn't like getting told off by the boss. There's more to this than just a wee sweary, believe me.

Tubthumper is right - more to this than meets the eye.

But swearing! My wife's uncle is a lovely man in mixed company - well spoken, polite and mannerly- and moral. He's a bloke who has spent all his working life on building sites.

When no ladies are present it's f...... this and F...... that every other word- I think nothing the less of him; it's just salt on his words.

And on the sites and warehouse and farms I worked on it was the same.

If a sailor can't cuss things have come to a pretty pass.

Default Coastguard team resign in support of colleague

I don't know what you think, but personally I think this is pathetic. This chap, Norman Macleod, has been accused of Gross Misconduct - what was that for? Oh my God; he swore in the heat of a rescue!!

Is this Ian Burgess for real? (or have I got this wrong?)

'Part of the north of Scotland coastline has been left with just three volunteer coastguards when there ought to be 10, it has emerged. The volunteers have left the Wick service in support of their station commander, who resigned after being accused of gross misconduct. Norman Macleod, 63, swore while talking to his Aberdeen-based sector officer, during a search.
    A coastguard chief said the Wick area was "well covered" by other stations. Mr Macleod said his expletive was not directed at any specific individual and that he apologised to sector officer Sandy Taylor immediately, when told his language was unprofessional. He said he was later given an apology by Mr Taylor, who accepted they had been working in a stressful situation at the time.

Mr Macleod said: "I thought that would have been the end of it." But he was called into a meeting with coastal safety manager Ian Burgess earlier this week.
    He added: "I was given two options. I was told I could be suspended and given 10 days to appeal, or I could resign.
    "I resigned as I was very, very hurt and saddened by what happened after such a long involvement in the coastguards."

More here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8600925.stm
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Default Coastguard Team

Another case of gross stupidity by a "Jobsworth". I have known Norman and his family since I was a bairn and know of their dedication to the Coastguard organisation and the training that has gone in over the years, as well as the danger to their own lives whilst effecting rescues.

Surely Ian Burgess should be at least investigated by the Coastguard heirarchy for this monumental blunder, and the Wick volunteers reinstated. (if this is their wish)

Can someone explain why swearing comes under the remit of a Safety Manager,

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast