Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Continental Market

Quote Originally Posted by angela5
    Maybe i'll see you there connie, going down myself. We could have a right old natter munching our 30 quid of teeth rooting rubbish.
    Will my falser's be up for it!
    I'll just take mines out and suck
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Roses
    How much Paella can ye get for £32 ? Im hungry, dont fancy the hairy sweeties though lol
    Well I went down a look yesterday, and the smell of that Paella was very tempting, untill this Fat Greasy looking Guy walked out from behind the stall with a Fag hanging from his mouth and said "yes can I help you",to which I just turned and walked away.
    Not all chillies are hot but do not be deceived

Just Outside The Gateway To Hell 3rd House On The Left

Quote Originally Posted by ice box
    mate of mine bought 4 packets of sweets cost him £32 thank god there not there every weekend .
    At least dick turpin wore a mask while he was robbin !!!
    Give a child a hammer and the whole world becomes a nail

Well I'm just back from the market and I thought it was great to see the town so busy. The prices are clearly marked so i can't see why people claim to be ripped off!!
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

It defeats the purpose of having stalls if they are going to charge so much that people won't buy from them, sure, some will buy their produce but you would think that they could make more money by keeping their prices reasonable. Maybe they think we are soft marks.

The little Dutch pancakes were really good. The guy running the stall was doing a roaring trade. He had a sign up yeaterday looking for workers and offering £50 a day.
    The 'tattie' stall was extremely busy too. I bought some both days for family and friends.
    The German sausages were good too.
    I didn't see any greasy looking workers on the paella stall. I bought some and the 2 men serving were clean looking and friendly although I did notice that most of the market traders were smoking although most of them were going out of the stalls to smoke though.
    The steak rolls seemed expensive at £4.50 each. I was passing comments (as usual) about the price, not realising that the trader was English and fully understood my broad accent!!! He gave me extra steak and onions and I must say it was lovely.
    I spent about £80 at the market during the past 2 days and will be back tomorrow. It's only once a year and it's lovely to see the town centre so busy (despite the weather)
    I can understand people complaining about the prices but as others have said - we are not forced to buy. Things were quite expensive and you wouldn't buy it if it was here regularly like every week or month but seeing as it is only once a year, I don't mind.
    Oh, and I bought some sweets for someone but used the scoop to pull them all forward before picking mine from the back!!! just in case the ones at the front weren't clean with the amount of people who were in about them. I checked them and they were fine.
    The chili cashew nuts were very good too All that was needed was some German beer but alas, none to be found. Well, you can't have it all

Exclamation conttinental market

I would like to ask does anyone know whos paying for all the extra electricty they are using and whos paying for the cleaning up thats being done after the market has closed? I'm not againist the market at all and agree we don't have to pay their prices what I an against is us having to pay though our council tax to have them here. As for the local shops I don't think they've been any busier because of it I may be wrong.

I still expect the local shops all to be open tomorrow as they were last year. Looking at the cars parked around the town the traffic warden made enough money to pay for the electricity and the clean up and a few dutch pancakes!
    PRAETORIAN

Pulteney person......there was german beer when i went to the market yesterday. there was a stall selling all kinds of german items.
    I was surprised to see the chinese man selling huge sumari swords. i thought these were classed as dangerous and illegal to sell them in our country. maybe Im wrong.
    i enjoyed my walk about, although i didn't buy anything, and i found people were friendly and it was a nice atmosphere. nice to have something different. I did miss the perfume and plants stalls this time.
    when the continental market goes to sussex, all shops provide the electricity to the visiting stalls, and they all have to clear up after themselves. the community council, made up of ordinary householders, arranges it all, and there are many more stalls. It is well organised and much better, but then they wont all want to drive the distance to Wick.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolie
    I would like to ask does anyone know whos paying for all the extra electricty they are using and whos paying for the cleaning up thats being done after the market has closed? I'm not againist the market at all and agree we don't have to pay their prices what I an against is us having to pay though our council tax to have them here. As for the local shops I don't think they've been any busier because of it I may be wrong.
    Look at my first post this should explain all.
    Not all chillies are hot but do not be deceived

The kids enjoyed a walk around the market yesterday and thought it was great.They bought some of the sweets and took them home to me,they were expensive but its not going to be an everyday affair is it,we have the right to buy or not its up to the individual.A few of the local stalls were still there and I think they were bound to benefit from there being so many more people looking around than on a normal Saturday you wont hear them complaining.

can anyone tell me if the market is open today, if so do you know until what time.?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs Billy Boy
    can anyone tell me if the market is open today, if so do you know until what time.?
    It says on the front page of org that its on and in jog Journal doesnt say time gives http://www.pulteneytown.org dont know if you'll find times on it?

http://whatson.caithness.org/event.php?id=3452 gives times here
    Last edited by footie chick; 28-May-06 at 12:10.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs Billy Boy
    It's open, dunno what time though. I'm going down around 2 '0'clock again, the pancakes are to die for. yum! ye'll ken it's me i'll be drooling over the pancake stall.

All the pancakes were half price. Paella was scrummy too, £2.50 for a tub very reasonable.

All the pancakes were half price. Paella was scrummy too, £2.50 for a tub very reasonable.
    I know i followed your trail home lol

Quote Originally Posted by ice box
    I know i followed your trail home lol
    Nice try icebox, the pancakes and paella was so scrummy, i ate them at the market. hmmm!, now unless i had crumbs down my coat.

I noticed You were smacking your lips on that big stick of rock.

krieve Guest

I never went down to the market but I'm beginning to wish i had mmmmmmm rock i love rock lol and pancakes do you have any left Angela

Quote Originally Posted by krieve
    I never went down to the market but I'm beginning to wish i had mmmmmmm rock i love rock lol and pancakes do you have any left Angela
    What do you think?
    Don't even try icebox, i doubt he'd have any rock left the way he was slobbering all over it.

Nice try icebox, the pancakes and paella was so scrummy, i ate them at the market. hmmm!, now unless i had crumbs down my coat.

I noticed You were smacking your lips on that big stick of rock.
    And yummy it was too .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast