Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Continental Market

I was down a look at the market this morning, i know its not very cheap but its only once a year, and its nice to get something different for a change, oh and the smell it makes your mouth water
    Always remember your unique, just like everyone else

[QUOTE=Chillie
    As far as I am aware they get everything given to them Free Gratis from the HC. Accommodation, Electric, Pitching fee's, Refuse collection as well as Grant for coming here in the first place, even some hidden one's that we do not know about. How do you all feel.[/QUOTE]

I was at the market this morning and I saw a lady with a collection pouch over her shoulder. Perhaps she was collecting pitch fees? Can't see the Highland council giving them free rent when there are some local traders at the market too.

Thumbs down

I took my kids to the continental market yesterday. What a rip off. Was charged £8 for two small bags of pic mix sweets. Only got a handful each. The sweets were dirty with hairs stuck on half of them. Its filthy. They are just conning us all.

Quote Originally Posted by watman
    I took my kids to the continental market yesterday. What a rip off. Was charged £8 for two small bags of pic mix sweets. Only got a handful each. The sweets were dirty with hairs stuck on half of them. Its filthy. They are just conning us all.
    I hope that you took them back and complained to the stall holder?
    Don Quixote

I like the diversity , however I would prefer this diversity to appear in Thurso too why is there no market in Thurso, not an indoor affair a proper street market on the precinct?

The only way to take on the big guys is diversity or supply something they don't have ... this market does a bit of this. but do we get a reciprocal arrangement too!? If we did then this seems a fair way of opening a possible alternative market for all.
    Patience is the ability to put up with someone you'd like to put down.

how can it be a ripoff if you went and volunteered to buy something?????

all the "big" places like tesco & homebase and all the rest of them.. made in taiwan .. made in africa somewheres... grown in 3rd world country here and there... and what percentage is FAIR TRADE? next to none... so, who's really getting ripped off anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by watman
    I firstly would not have paid £8.00 for sweets and if they were dirty I would have gone straight back with them. How many kids in the poorer countrys could you have fed for £8.00?
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

Not all of it is a rip off. In the good old days of Caithness Glass, I used to buy white bone china plates etc- and the stall I headed to was the pottery one- selling factory overstocks- and the items were £1 each- half the price of basic pottery from Homebase or Woolies. I replaced the stuff that gets trashed when my family do the washing up.

My favourite regular stall is the soap and sponges one- a bar of lavender soap in the nightdress drawer gives you a great night's sleep- and one bar of that soap in the bathroom lasts a year. Those are real bargains- and I'll be back down the road tomorrow.

But why does that wonderful baker not come back? The cakes were to die for 2 years ago.

if we get good weather-the local shops do benefit from the highland hordes- after all its in the town centre.
    Bagpuss

When the market was up last time my father who loves continental food bought a loaf of bread and it cost £4.10 so after that he devolped a taste for the less expensive things in life. I am a self confessed bargain hunter went to bag a new bag at the market seen the price and decided it wasnt right for me.Saying that i do like the market it does make the town center more lively and thats a good thing.

There just a rip off .... mate of mine bought 4 packets of sweets cost him £32 thank god there not there every weekend .

Quote Originally Posted by ice box
    There just a rip off .... mate of mine bought 4 packets of sweets cost him £32 thank god there not there every weekend .
    People shouldn't be eating sweeties anyway. then they have the cheek to complain about the price of dentists. They should do us all a favour and put the price of sweets sky high permanently. Sweets should be a luxury
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    People shouldn't be eating sweeties anyway. then they have the cheek to complain about the price of dentists. They should do us all a favour and put the price of sweets sky high permanently. Sweets should be a luxury
    whats wrong someone stop your cream eggs

whats wrong someone stop your cream eggs
    That was then, I'm on a diet now icebox so if i can't have sweets then I think no-one shoud have them lol. make them so expensive no-one wants them..lol

He would have been better spending his £32 on fruit!

Default Rip off

I hope you went to the police and complained about your mate being accosted by the stall holder, pinned against the wall, the money stolen out of his pocket and the sweets rammed into his sweaty little hands!

DISGRACEFUL I SAY!... bring back the birch.

How much Paella can ye get for £32 ? Im hungry, dont fancy the hairy sweeties though lol

I'm just going down there a look and I'm quite sure that I won't be forced to buy anything I don't want. If people don't like the prices then they shouldn't buy the goods, instead of buying it then complaining.

I'm just going down there a look and I'm quite sure that I won't be forced to buy anything I don't want. If people don't like the prices then they shouldn't buy the goods, instead of buying it then complaining.
    The stall holders are not there with their baseball bats threating anyone to spend £32 on sweets, hairy ones or not. why pay £32 for sticky, sugary lumps of teeth rooting goo! then go around peeping they ripped me off.
    More money than sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann
    I hope you went to the police and complained about your mate being accosted by the stall holder, pinned against the wall, the money stolen out of his pocket and the sweets rammed into his sweaty little hands!

DISGRACEFUL I SAY!... bring back the birch.
    I would of told them were they could stick it ... i think he's framing them lol

Maybe i'll see you there connie, going down myself. We could have a right old natter munching our 30 quid of teeth rooting rubbish.
    Will my falser's be up for it!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast