Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walk on by!

Default Walk on by!

I heard today that a bunch of climbers on a Mount Everest jolly just climbed passed a dying man on their way up Mount Everest and did not try to rescue him or comforted him. No attempt was made at all. Climbers are saying that it was not possible so they are trying to defend their decision.

Could you walk past a dying man no matter the difficult circumstances?

Article
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

My initial reaction is this:

In the emergency services many men and women will risk their lives to save one life.

This climbing group wouldn't even risk the success of their own expedition.

weell.... how can anyone have an opinion on this if they've never attempted anything as strenuous as climbing Everest?

secondly, the guy who was struggling took the risk climbing there anyways... and probably knew fully well his journey could end in death or injury.

why should people risk their lives then expect somebody else to risk theres for them.. like you see in the hills of Scotland all the time?

Sir Edmund Hillary has spoken out about this, and he's horrified. These people put their personal ambition to climb Everest ahead of the other guy's life. Just think about that. Letting someone die because they wanted to be able to boast about climbing the damn mountain. Time was when people put others ahead of their own petty needs. Despicable. It makes not a damn bit of difference to me whether the guy who died could have been saved. If I had been there and found someone in that state, my climb would have been over that very minute, and I would have done everything I could to help, whether it was useless or not.

sjwahwah, people do risk their lives for others in the mountains of Scotland all the time. Many climbers volunteer to go out as Mountain Rescue squads, just as many professional and amateur sailors volunteer in RNLI lifeboats. It's called doing the right thing.
    Last edited by George Brims; 26-May-06 at 00:38.

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims
    Sir Edmund Hillary has spoken out about this, and he's horrified. These people put their personal ambition to climb Everest ahead of the other guy's life. Just think about that. Letting someone die because they wanted to be able to boast about climbing the damn mountain. Time was when people put others ahead of their own petty needs. Despicable. It makes not a damn bit of difference to me whether the guy who died could have been saved. If I had been there and found someone in that state, my climb would have been over that very minute, and I would have done everything I could to help, whether it was useless or not.

sjwahwah, people do risk their lives for others in the mountains of Scotland all the time. Many climbers volunteer to go out as Mountain Rescue squads, just as many professional and amateur sailors volunteer in RNLI lifeboats. It's called doing the right thing.
    Well said George!

people do risk their lives for others in the mountains of Scotland all the time. Many climbers volunteer to go out as Mountain Rescue squads, just as many professional and amateur sailors volunteer in RNLI lifeboats. It's called doing the right thing.

well said george, a lot of people today don't know what it mean's, doing the right thing,

This BBC article is also worth reading.
    Laugh and the world laughs with you... cry, and the world looks sheepish and suddenly remembers it had other plans.

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims

Well said George.

These climbing types all seem to have a similar mindset. The guy who was dying probably knew he was getting into trouble but was driven to carry on by the mentality that conquering the summit is everything. Who is to say he would not have walked past another dying climber if the situation were reversed?

I remember reading about a guy a few years ago. He was on the last drive to the summit of Everest and was warned that if he carried on then death was certain. He was offered the chance to be taken off the mountain but carried on and died, happy, at the summit.

Personally speaking I would leave the climbers to it, they know what they are taking on and if they get into trouble then hard luck.

"Ghost climbers in the sky"

that makes me sick to think that any human could walk passed someone dying well i hope they get whats coming to them cos one day when something like that happens to them and they need help it will be in there minds that they walked passed a dying man and never helped wishing that they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    I heard today that a bunch of climbers on a Mount Everest jolly just climbed passed a dying man on their way up Mount Everest and did not try to rescue him or comforted him. No attempt was made at all. Climbers are saying that it was not possible so they are trying to defend their decision.

Article
    Heck no.. thats awfull

Imagine that .. Gawd... Thats sick!
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

krieve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead

Article
    The people involved obviously have no human compassion what so ever!!!!

MMMM i feel quite saddened about this article or disapointed! Whatever happened to human compassion what a sad world we live in.

http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=243

A read of the above site might give some insight into the problems of a rescue from that height involving somebody who was conscious but had a fractured leg and was at least able to give his rescuers some assistance.

With respect to staying with the person, how long do you risk staying for before you yourself become just another fatality amongst the rest on Everest.

Take note of the climbers decision concerning what he should do about something he found near a precipice and consider what you would have done.
    It's an interesting thought!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by krieve
    The people involved obviously have no human compassion what so ever!!!!
    Far worse happens every day in this world. Much of it could be prevented if, collectively, we would show this "human compassion"

It is very easy to criticise from the comfort of your computer seat and play "What would Jesus Do?"

Who among us can say they could always do the compassionate thing, no matter how desperate the circumstances?

I am sure those who ate their fellow passengers in order to survive after a plane crash, did not think they would ever resort to such a taboo act in order to preserve themselves.

It is a tough one but I recently did an extreme sports trauma management course (based on the First bike on scene course that the police use)
    And the first thing they teach you is DRABC not ABC.
    Dangers Responsiveness and the Airway Breathing Circulation.
    So it is said that you shouldn`t risk your life, that is one hell of a moral dilemma - as long as they can live with it!
    NEWS-FLASH - Coudroy Pillows are making headlines!

I believe there were about 40 people who climbed past the dying man, I would take some convincing that they couldn't have pooled their efforts to get the man off the mountain. Crikey, I've watched 'touching the void' and the chap got off the mountain with a broken leg on his own so really there is no excuse imho.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

krieve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie
    Far worse happens every day in this world. Much of it could be prevented if, collectively, we would show this "human compassion"

It is very easy to criticise from the comfort of your computer seat and play "What would Jesus Do?"

Who among us can say they could always do the compassionate thing, no matter how desperate the circumstances?

I am sure those who ate their fellow passengers in order to survive after a plane crash, did not think they would ever resort to such a taboo act in order to preserve themselves.

I can assure you i would not have just carried on past just so i could climb a mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by krieve
    I can assure you i would not have just carried on past just so i could climb a mountain.
    And would your kids, parents, loved ones have been happy to see you die in the effort to save a lost cause?

From what I have read of this story, the people concerned discussed the matter and assessed that the person was beyond help.

People at the scene can make a concious decision based on the circumstances, they weigh up the morals versus the practicalities. Until you have actually been in a desperate enough situation you cannot say you would never do anything.

They could at least have given consideration to putting the poor guy out of his misery.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast