Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Freezing milk

Question Freezing milk

I don't know why, but i just can't do it! When I defrost it, naturally, not in microwave, it is always curdled. Have tried it in cardboard cartons, plastic bottles, full fat, half fat, and always freeze the day I buy...just never had any success, but my friends and everyone else I expect has no problem! Any ideas please?
    Caring people, caring for your animals......highlandpetcare.co.uk

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that is why it is called the present.

Talking freezing milk

Hi there,

Have you tried just deforsting in the fridge, perhaps a silly question but I used to have that problem and started taking it straight out the freezer and putting it straight in the frige seemed to work from there for me.

Good luck

Mother Bear, the only milk you can successfully freeze is skimmed (fat free) milk. I don't do it now it's just the two of us but I used to freeze it all the time, it was very handy.
    The reason for the curdled look when we freeze whole or semi skimmed milk is something to do with the fat separating, but if you whisk it the milk will combine again, not for too long though or you’ll end up with butter!

You can freeze full fat but it will separate. A good shake and it's back to normal

LB2 - you got any tips on making butter out of milk? I have tried for hours with no success - I can make it out of cream in about 5 minutes

Semi skimmed milk freezes just fine. I doubt that anyone could make butter out of commercially available milk these days because of the homogenisation process it goes thru to keep it on the shelves for over a week!

I have been successfully freezing skimmed milk for many years now. But not all brands defrost properly. I found that Tesco's is brill! Co-Op's skimmed has always separated, so I don't freeze it any more if I happen to get it.
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!