Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Frog spawn

Default Frog spawn

Does anyone know if frogs spawn in the same place every year? It is just that there's eggs in exactly the same place and I mean exactly, as there was last year? Seems a bit strange but maybe they are like salmon. I just dont know!!! Any answers or suggestions most welcome. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnydog View Post
    Does anyone know if frogs spawn in the same place every year? It is just that there's eggs in exactly the same place and I mean exactly, as there was last year? Seems a bit strange but maybe they are like salmon. I just dont know!!! Any answers or suggestions most welcome. Thanks.
    Frogs have been known to come back to the same place to spawn year after year, in fact frogs have probably spawned in the same place for hundreds of years where there has been suitable spawning habitat available.

Here's a photo of a CommonFrog.

Common Frog (Rana temporaria).

nirofo.

I have a pond in my garden and we get frogs spawning in it every year. Dont know if its the exact place in the pond tho
    A gentle stream can split a mountain, given enough time.

Fortunately this year they have spawned in the shallows. Last year the eggs all died 'cos they got too cold in the deeper water.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Ruddy things!
    Got loads of Frog spawn already at our pond so I'll be fishing it all out. Hopefully the cold snap will kill it????

Damn things. I know people like them and all that but once you've seen em in attack formation or been chased onto a boat by them you can't really understand just how deadly they are.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Ruddy things!
    Got loads of Frog spawn already at our pond so I'll be fishing it all out. Hopefully the cold snap will kill it????

Damn things. I know people like them and all that but once you've seen em in attack formation or been chased onto a boat by them you can't really understand just how deadly they are.
    Come on Porshiepoo, attack in formation, have you been dreaming..You better check incase they are protected.

Default Frog spawn

One year it was flat calm and heard loud croaking of frogs, the noise was amazing so i went to investagate where it was coming from, a large pond on the farm, there in the water was hundreds of them, little eyes peeping out of the water and loads standing making a right din, it was a real pity i did not have a digital camera then, i would have loved to have shared it with you, this year i will be keeping an eye out for them.