Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Da Vinci Code Film

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims
    I'm pretty sure I already know why I'm an atheist.

My main problem with the Da Vinci Code novel was not so much the plot, or at least the thrust of it. What I objected to was the awful execution. There were so many dumb howlers in there. It reeked of a book where the research about places and cultures was done at the library and not by going there. I found it supremely irritating that the story was gripping enough that I had to get to the end and see how it all resolved, but I had to wade my way past some awful stuff to get there.
    I fully agree with you on this. There are some amazingly poor pieces of research in all Dan Brown's books and statements that seem to come out of a 1970's copy of "See Europe on $5 a day".

Thumbs up The Da Vinci Code Film

some friends of ours said the same as 'Dragonfly', some bits missed out, but a good film
    Keep it country

Let us not forget, it's only a film. Too much analysis spoils the tale, leave that for Jonathon Ross.
    Last edited by pultneytooner; 28-May-06 at 07:32.

I saw the film yesterday afternoon - brilliant! Thoroughly enjoyed the books as well. I always find it pointless to analyse the meaning of a book or film - I just either enjoy them or not. What appeals to one person does not necessarily appeal to another. Good job to - or we would all want to marry the same person, eat the same food, buy the same car... etc.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

I gave into the hype and started reading the book yesterday. As a slow reader, I'm not far into the book, but so far I think it's one I can get into - but I doubt I'll want to watch the film (though the boyfriend really wants to take me to see it - and he's trying to persuade me to read "the holy blood and the holy grail" - I can't see it happening though).
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

Quote Originally Posted by ŠAmethyst
    I gave into the hype and started reading the book yesterday. As a slow reader, I'm not far into the book, but so far I think it's one I can get into - but I doubt I'll want to watch the film.
    Amethyst - do give in and go with your boyfriend. It is an excellent film and worth watching in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco
    Amethyst - do give in and go with your boyfriend. It is an excellent film and worth watching in its own right.
    I've just heard so many mixed reports. I've heard people saying that once you've read the book you'll be disappointed in the film. Then again... that's what I thought with Lord of the Rings, and yet I love the films in their own strange way (was sooooo disappointed that Bilbo left on his own in the first film when he had some dwarves with him in the book).
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

I've just heard so many mixed reports. I've heard people saying that once you've read the book you'll be disappointed in the film. Then again... that's what I thought with Lord of the Rings, and yet I love the films in their own strange way (was sooooo disappointed that Bilbo left on his own in the first film when he had some dwarves with him in the book).
    I read the book some time ago and loved it. Then I saw the film on Sat. and loved it as well. Same with LOTR - read the book years ago (took me 4 days!) and then wept for joy when I saw the movies.

By the way, when did Bilbo leave with dwarves? In the book and the film he left Baggins Row during his 111th birthday and went on to Rivendell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricco
    By the way, when did Bilbo leave with dwarves? In the book and the film he left Baggins Row during his 111th birthday and went on to Rivendell.
    "It was a fine night, and the black sky was dotted with stars. He looked up, sniffing the air. 'What fun! What fun to be off again, off on the road with dwarves! This is what I have really been longing for, for Years! Good-bye!' he said, looking at his old home and bowing to the door. 'Goodbye, Gandalf!'"

From 'The Fellowship of the Ring', chapter 1 'A Long-Expected Party'

It's daft details like that I remember when I watch the film after reading the book. Though I must say, the fellowship of the ring is by far my fave book AND film in the trilogy. I must have watched the film to death!

"It was a fine night, and the black sky was dotted with stars. He looked up, sniffing the air. 'What fun! What fun to be off again, off on the road with dwarves! This is what I have really been longing for, for Years! Good-bye!' he said, looking at his old home and bowing to the door. 'Goodbye, Gandalf!'"

From 'The Fellowship of the Ring', chapter 1 'A Long-Expected Party'

It's daft details like that I remember when I watch the film after reading the book. Though I must say, the fellowship of the ring is by far my fave book AND film in the trilogy. I must have watched the film to death!
    Hmmm - but did he actually leave with dwarves?

"...Without another word he turned away from the lights and voices in the fields and tent, and followed by his three companions..."

Besides this thread isn't about Lord of the Rings... 'tis about the Da Vinci Code

"...Without another word he turned away from the lights and voices in the fields and tent, and followed by his three companions..."

Besides this thread isn't about Lord of the Rings... 'tis about the Da Vinci Code
    Very true and again I urge you to go and see it.

I'm sure my boyfriend will drag me along to see it on his day off

Just started reading the book my father read the book when it first came out and really enjoyed it.He went to see the film while on hoilday last week and thought it was rubbish and said it missed a majority of the best bits in the book out! On the other hand i was speaking to someone who has read all the dan brown books and seen the film and enjoyed the film so each to their own i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    Rheg, I am taking the book on holiday next week, so please dont tell me the plot, I dont want to know if Tom Hanks gets the girl
    Just back from my hols and I have read "Angles and Demons & The Davinci Code", I prefered the former but not bad books of fiction, I have read worse, Mrs G ran out of reading material and picked up Angels & Demons and could not put it down. So I would say I liked both books but it will not change my mind on religion in any way though
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Default Da Vinci Code etc....

I have read his books and am on the last of the four, Deception Point. Its not as good as the other three, but still worth a look. His books all have a similar theme but still enjoyable nonetheless.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm
    I have read his books and am on the last of the four, Deception Point. Its not as good as the other three, but still worth a look. His books all have a similar theme but still enjoyable nonetheless.
    i thought deception point was a good read far better than angels and demons.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12