Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Yellow Hammer

Default Yellow Hammer

I've got a yellow hammer visiting my feeders how rare are they in Highland my book says they're not found here?

Default Yellow Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I've got a yellow hammer visiting my feeders how rare are they in Highland my book says they're not found here?
    There has been reports and sightings of the Yellow Hammer visiting bird tables this far North, however , I have always found them very elusive when trying to get a photo of them.

I have had some success with it's close cousin, the Yellow Axe, and here is a shot of this specimen that I got feeding at the table this morning.

A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Not rare, Andy, but a species that is under some pressure and declining. Breeds throughout Caithness where habitat is suitable and winter flocks of up to 20 are not uncommon in stubble fields with hedge borders. A few have been comming to my feeders all winter.

Pterodroma

4. Default

Seen them fairly regulary around Harpsdale in the roadside hedgerows.

Thank you all for your responses Andy