Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An allegory

Default little

maybe your evil twin, John Long, is at work
    Richard Sutherland

LOL - you may be right.

It's curious though - that actually is how the war ended- even to the sentry spitting on the car. It seems in the nature of some that they just do not know when to stop- and it's not unique either.

I met a very old Scot years ago who told me how they chose the unknown soldier for Westminster Abbey - and the official version is rubbish- unless he was bullshitting me - but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    Some read.
    None are forced.
    I read them and I enjoy them.

Well actually Fred I like yours too - you make life interesting

May you live in interesting times

Now that is one ancient Greek curse I hope not to fulfill!

Now that is one ancient Greek curse I hope not to fulfill!
    Back on topic I don't know about the last shot but my grandfather was actually in Flanders when the first shot of the First World War was fired. He made it as far as Wolverhampton before the second shot was fired but they caught him and sent him back.

..."Do not she made any point."...Eh?
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Back on topic I don't know about the last shot but my grandfather was actually in Flanders when the first shot of the First World War was fired. He made it as far as Wolverhampton before the second shot was fired but they caught him and sent him back.

My great great grandfather was killed at the battle of Little Big Horn.

He wasn't with the 7th Cavalry, he was camping in the next valley and went over to complain about the noise.......

Yeah, I know, it's ancient.

Back on topic (ish), if someone feels passionately about something, then they'll be very reluctant to 'cease fire'.

But then there's the ones that are just idiots.

Do you think this post getting a bit long?

Yes! I fear it may be.

"Gad Carruthers it's awfy quiet in the Org tonight."

"Yes Fanshawe- too damned quiet."

"Do you think .... that they are planning something?"

"Could be - turn out the guard - there's a good chap.."

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    I read them and I enjoy them.
    Oh my goodness, this is not a true Allegory, 'tis a Fred/John Little Appreciation Society lol....
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    ..."Do not she made any point."...Eh?
    I did wonder about that but decided to hush my mouth for once.
    Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Do you think this post getting a bit long?
    Yes.

LOL- less of the appreciation society Moira! Any good curry needs spice; without some of the interjections by people with strong views threads could get very bland. I am glad we all do not agree.

And whatever anyone else thinks of other's posts, just think - Fred makes for a very interesting thread. I might disagree with a lot of what he says but I do think the Org is lucky to have him.

Of course there is no need for name calling and snark but robust views and heightened emotion make for good and enjoyable debate.

Dontcha think?

I have just seen someone on another thread give a neat rebuttal to what someone else said. There was no snark or sarcasm and it was very elegantly done.

Good disagreement is a fine thing to see and offers the same enjoyment as spectator sport.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the other person will come back - and the exchange will be entertaining.

Am I wrong to enjoy this - as if watching a good contest between two Sumo wrestlers?

Quote Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
    You mean like this:
    Ha, ha! Well put. Anfield. Touche, as they say.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

I have just seen someone on another thread give a neat rebuttal to what someone else said. There was no snark or sarcasm and it was very elegantly done.

Good disagreement is a fine thing to see and offers the same enjoyment as spectator sport.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the other person will come back - and the exchange will be entertaining.

Am I wrong to enjoy this - as if watching a good contest between two Sumo wrestlers?
    Absolutely not.

Vive la difference...as some furrin' bloke said. Otherwise the whole place would dissolve into a puke inducing mush of faux friendliness and endless sychophancy

Without confrontation there will be no entertainment value at all. These places are like watching TV, there's information, confrontation, entertainment and the downright bonkers - you just have to choose which 'channels' you want to watch and try to avoid turning into "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells".

BTW I once stopped overnight in a hotel in Tunbridge Wells, what they neglected to tell us in the Tourist Info is that the large Victorian hotel was also being used as a Nursing Home for the elderly. Stunk of pish.

So I was "Disgusted in Tunbridge Wells" that night......

Oh yes - Tunbridge Wells is much over-rated in all departments. The spa water tastes disgusting, the shops are over-priced, as is property and it's inhabited by chavs.

Frankly I'd rather be sniffing the clean North Sea breeze around Keiss for example.

Oh yes - Tunbridge Wells is much over-rated in all departments. The spa water tastes disgusting, the shops are over-priced, as is property and it's inhabited by chavs.

Frankly I'd rather be sniffing the clean North Sea breeze around Keiss for example.
    TW isn't as bad as Leysdown though, John. I had the misfortune to be the assistant manager at Mr B's Amusements in Leysdown many years ago. I liked the Isle of Sheppey and was a damn sight happier when we moved up to Eastchurch - nice village.

The Harty Ferry Inn on Sheppey rated as one of the best pubs I've ever been in, too. I'd regularly walk the 7 miles around the coast and across the marshes for a night out there...or if i was feeling lazy pushbike it the 5 miles by road. I know many of the ditches intimately in that area......

But, yeah, Keiss is where it's at, man.

LOL- less of the appreciation society Moira! Any good curry needs spice; without some of the interjections by people with strong views threads could get very bland. I am glad we all do not agree <snip>
    Of course there is no need for name calling and snark but robust views<snip>
    Dontcha think?
    Sorry John, no offence intended. The mutual admiration between you and Fred in the middle of this thread just struck my "funny bone" at the time. I agree wholeheartedly that variety is the spice of life.
    I'm not familiar with the word "snark" but I do realise the meaning so I would agree with that too.

I'm just grateful that no-one popped up here declaring that they suffered from a nut allegory.

Anyone for Casablanca?

Moira - none taken!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snark

Casablanca...

Of all da gin joints and bars in all da woyld she had ta walk into mine.

Play it again Sam....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast