Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An allegory

John, I do understand the meaning of "snark" - it's just not a word I'm familiar with or would have used, until now...

Anyhow, back on topic,
    “Louis, (John) (whoever) I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

Who's buying the drams and dinna' be snarking about it...... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    John, I do understand the meaning of "snark" - it's just not a word I'm familiar with or would have used, until now...
    Then if you understand the nature of the snark you will understand why so many posts to this forum start with "I don't usually agree with fred but...", you will understand that people want to be a Cowboy not an Indian, one of the hunters not the hunted.

You will understand why someone not minding being associated with me came as such a surprise to you you felt it was worthy of comment.

Fred, my earlier post was not intended to offend you in any way and I thought I'd already explained that adequately. If not I deeply, humbly, apologise.

My dire attempt at "flirting" with John Little was also rejected. I am devastated.

Talking

My dire attempt at "flirting" with John Little was also rejected. I am devastated.

Ah well its back to trying your hand with Weeboyagee then ........

I think I might require professional help Alice.

Are you acquaint with a Doctor I could practise my skills on?

Talking

Are you acquaint with a Doctor I could practise my skills on?

Well just by chance I think I might just know one..................however I am a little unsure about his qualifications You can buy anything on the internet these days.

I do believe he lurks on the org now and again and sometimes posts the odd bit of advice.

I'm afraid I missed the point of the allegory, but if we are going to discuss flirting can I join in? I suspect that we are way off the original topic though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    Well just by chance I think I might just know one..................however I am a little unsure about his qualifications You can buy anything on the internet these days.
    I do believe he lurks on the org now and again and sometimes posts the odd bit of advice.
    Ok Alice, that's a start. PM me his name and phone number. I'll PM you and let you know how I got on.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I'm afraid I missed the point of the allegory, but if we are going to discuss flirting can I join in? I suspect that we are way off the original topic though.
    Of course you can join in Canuck. When, ever, did a topic here stick strictly to target?

I noticed some Italians vying for your attention last weekend. I only noticed it because they were ignoring me. I don't blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Then if you understand the nature of the snark you will understand why so many posts to this forum start with "I don't usually agree with fred but...", you will understand that people want to be a Cowboy not an Indian, one of the hunters not the hunted.

You will understand why someone not minding being associated with me came as such a surprise to you you felt it was worthy of comment.
    Hi Fred, I'm actually quite mystified about your post. My fairly light tread on this thread was intended to encourage other posts/threads of like ilk..
    I don't often have the time to post here but this was one thread which interested me recently.

Shame on me then for actually enjoying some of the threads/posts here from time to time. Double shame on me for sending good rep to some posters on the threads I don't have time to reply to.

Hi Fred, I'm actually quite mystified about your post. My fairly light tread on this thread was intended to encourage other posts/threads of like ilk..
    I don't often have the time to post here but this was one thread which interested me recently.

Shame on me then for actually enjoying some of the threads/posts here from time to time. Double shame on me for sending good rep to some posters on the threads I don't have time to reply to.

I just posted to offer an opinion and the subject of the thread, as so often seems to happen, turned to myself. Then when the snark came to be mentioned I saw it as a symbol, I saw this creature which did no manner of harm, apart from those which are boojums, yet was constantly hunted as being a representation of the situation here on the org. As did the barrister's dream.

"My dire attempt at "flirting" with John Little was also rejected. I am devastated."

Ah - alas I am a married man and a stranger to such badinage.

This is a pity for 'Moira' is a name which gives an image of wild, fey highland lassies which is quite pleasing , and were it not for herself I might be tempted to take the high road...

Yes the original Snark was harmless, but snark is a barb which is desgned to hurt - and it does for it has no other purpose. In discussion it seems to be that there is little point in adding a sting to remarks because that is all it does; and creates anger and resentment.

The purpose of discussion is not to change minds. It is to state a point of view with the best arguments, backed up with appropriate evidence/analysis, fact and comparisons.

That is a fair statement of opinion, and opinion is good, because without the appropriate supporting evidence/analysis, facts and comparisons a statement is mere prejudice; pre-judging something according to an illogical, irrational and unsupportable set of criteria.

If I set an argument out fairly, and someone else sets their argument out fairly, it is possible that I may come to see that their point of view has merit.

And may - and do change my mind.

But if they assassinate my character, impugn my reputation and make slurs about my private life, then they achieve nothing except polarisation of opinion and possibly some personal gratification.

Nemo me impugn lacessit...... Familiar somehow...

That's not why we are here. Is it?

As to the purpose of the thread.

It's an allegory - for real life. A virtual space- a place to wander, breeze, chow the fat and some may even flirt.

For the craic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123