Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Odds on ?

Default Odds on ?

Any one else feel the hackles rising at the back od their neck? Do you get the feeling that the government is going to opt nuclear again with regards to generating power?
    What chance a new reactor in Caithness? I'm not normally a betting person but reckon the odds are shortening daily.

Haven't the Scottish Executive ruled that out? I thought I read in the local Banffshire paper last week that this was the case.
    I'd be interested to know otherwise. What is the betting?

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ
    Any one else feel the hackles rising at the back od their neck? Do you get the feeling that the government is going to opt nuclear again with regards to generating power?
    What chance a new reactor in Caithness? I'm not normally a betting person but reckon the odds are shortening daily.
    Well i reckon that the government being the government and dont have clue on running things properly they will run dounreay right down costing millions and then they will have the bright idea of putting a reactor in dounreay and pump millions back in the place
    Personally i think it would be a good idea to put the new reator in now because its a good site and all the people are there that no about these things

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

at the moment the dounreay site is not fit for purpose (new reactor), it has to come down to make way for the new reactor, which will produce enough power to power most of scotland at a fraction of the costs to us at the moment,let us all pray we get both the reactor and the deep repository, let the work roll on to caithness and bring back the work force/money/and a bit of respect.

Well said 'riggerboy' I couldn't agree more.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Default New reactors

I was listening today to Radio 5 Live and the interview with Lady Thomas chairman of The United Kingdom Atomiv Energy Authority. Have tried to find a link with no success but she was saying that it looks increasingly likely that the government will go for at least a partial nucleur option with regard to energy.
    In this event the logical thing to do would be to build new reactors on existing sites as this would avoid the necessity for public enquiries,planning permission and the aquistion of land, it would also be sensible with respect the workforce and the local economies that are dependent on the current installations.
    She laid out quite a formidable case.
    Any one know what the situation in up north? Does The Scottish Executive have the power of veto or is it Westminster?

There are a lot of obstacles to a new reactor being earmarked for up here in the far north.

1. The Scottish executive is hostile to the idea.
    2. The beauly/denny line is far from being upgraded but even if it was it would be insufficient for all the windfarms and the reactor.
    3. It has been 12 years since the last reactor was operational and a lot of expertise has been lost in the county due to natural loss, the French will be prime contractors and they will bring in foreign workers and local contractors may lose out on work, that will make local opinion hostile to the new reactors. Obviously, it won't make any difference as the contract will have been awarded before local opinion turns against the idea.
    4. Anti-windfarmers have been peddling the remoteness of the area as a reason for objecting to windfarms due to emission losses, a new reactor will be subject to the same phenomenon so this may go against the Dounreay site.
    5. The Dounreay site is still far from being cleared for a new reactor.
    6. Public opinion is still far from nuclear-friendly though the tide is turning.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

1. This can be changed, politicians are fickle, Westminster can offer a deal that would make them look good or overule them as it is in national interest.

2. Can be upgraded to cater for required level. Planning can also be approved due to national interest.

3. Why French? would think it more likely to be American expertise. You don't need as much expertise to run it once built and previous expertise wouldn't be much use anyway, technology has changed since PFR.

4. Environmental impact is the main issue with regards to remoteness, emmission losses comes way down the list with the anti windfarm brigade, just used to bolster their argument.

5. There is room for a new reactor (or 2) at the front, the east end, runway. however, construction lay down areas would be more of a problem

6. National Interest is main decider, not being in control of the populaces basic energy needs would be disastrous, anybody remember the three day week?

Hmmm - you can bet your life that today's policy will become tomorrow's U-turn; today's rejection will become tomorrow's negotiation. Governments can be relied on to do one thing with great conviction - change their minds when it suits them.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."