Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tv.s

Quote Originally Posted by im behind you View Post
    i was in at tesco today and there was a tv that caught my eye for £465. which i thought was a good deal for a 42 inch tv.it was a samsung plasma tv.and i thought about it. and im sure that the plasmas are quite bad for blowing cylinders for its picture quality but not 100%. so any one that could help me out before i go and buy one would be much appreciated.
    A 42 inch for £465 whether be lcd or plasma its a good deal There is pros and cons with
    both im a great believer in you either get a good one or a bad one and if your worried about it breaking then pay a little bit more and take out a 5 year guarantee with the tv.
    Most flatscreens tvs come with a 5 year guarantee?
    I have a 32 inch its ok but 42inch would be better a lot better especially for playing with the ps3 or xbox

i was in at tesco today and there was a tv that caught my eye for £465. which i thought was a good deal for a 42 inch tv.it was a samsung plasma tv.and i thought about it. and im sure that the plasmas are quite bad for blowing cylinders for its picture quality but not 100%. so any one that could help me out before i go and buy one would be much appreciated.
    I wouldn't touch Tesco for electrical goods, I find their prices way over the score. I am pretty sure the TV you are talking about is the same one shown on Amazon for £439.99 (free shipping) :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-PS42...9695665&sr=8-1

According to Amazon the TV first appeared on their website in July 2006 so it seems to be an older model, it does NOT display in 1080p but is 720p instead. I checked some discussion sites and some people declare this TV to be out of date. For the money you are talking here, I would recommend a look at Ebuyer for something more up to date for probably less money. Ebuyer charge about £12 to deliver to the Highlands and I have used them several times and can report that they deliver as promised and you can track your delivery through their website.

I got my television from John Lewis online as their customer service reputation is excellent.

They also give free 5 year warranty with all their televisions.

AVForums is a really good place to find out what the best tv is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    37" is fine in the bedroom Liz. I dont mean that in a filthy way lol.
    Surely it would fit! My livinroom is quite long. Wait til i get a bigger house, then i will definetely be buyin a 50"
    The SD picture isn't good if you sit too close to the TV. I sit about 9ft away from my 37" and the picture is brilliant from this distance.

However, you can sit much closer to an HD picture but will be a while I think before all programmes are in HD.

I have to say although I love my telly I do kinda wish I had gone for a 42" though. Scarybiscuits03 how far do you sit from your 42" Plasma?

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    The SD picture isn't good if you sit too close to the TV. I sit about 9ft away from my 37" and the picture is brilliant from this distance.

However, you can sit much closer to an HD picture but will be a while I think before all programmes are in HD.

I have to say although I love my telly I do kinda wish I had gone for a 42" though. Scarybiscuits03 how far do you sit from your 42" Plasma?
    How Far Should I Sit From My HDTV?

Often wondered, this site seems good.. gives an example: "For instance in my case I will be 17 feet from the set so judging by the table above this would be optimum for a 65inch set at 576 resolution. Does this mean that there is little point in purchasing a higher resolution and rather than paying extra for resolution I should invest in the biggest low res set I can afford?: Yes"
    Of course it gives distances for 32" upwards...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

I have to agree with " Liz " we bought a 42" Full HD LCD TOSHIBA from John Lewis and it was reduced to £529... cheaper than any supplier on the Internet and comes with a John Lewis 5 year Gaurantee.

Customer service was very friendly and helpful.

And if its a 5year guarantee were the guy comes to ure home and fixs it thats good deal some guarantees u have to post it back to the dealer and i bet thats a pain?

From the Guarantee paperwork

If you have purchased a television, your service guarantee is automatically 5 years in total. These are also subject to the following.

This additional service guarantee provides :

A repair service in the event of breakdown of any functioning part of your product, for the period stated by the John Lewis guarantee.
    We'll provide the repair service without charge up to a cost equal to the original purchase price paid for the product.
    All repair services are provided by authorised service technicians.
    If we decide your product cannot be repaired, or is uneconomical to repair, we'll replace it with the same model. If it's no longer available, we'll discuss an alternative settlement with you.
    Occasionally, we may ask you to pay for the repair and claim the cost of the repair from us.

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    How Far Should I Sit From My HDTV?

Often wondered, this site seems good.. gives an example: "For instance in my case I will be 17 feet from the set so judging by the table above this would be optimum for a 65inch set at 576 resolution. Does this mean that there is little point in purchasing a higher resolution and rather than paying extra for resolution I should invest in the biggest low res set I can afford?: Yes"
    Of course it gives distances for 32" upwards...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php
    Interesting article Bekisman. Thanks for that.

It is difficult when the majority of viewing at the moment is in SD as you need to sit further away from it as sitting too close will cause you to see the pixellation.

Of course there are other factors such as the shape of the room. My TV is in the corner of my living room in a kind of 'alcove' and so not sure whether a 42" will fit. Will have to get my tape measure out!

I have a Panasonic 37X10 and am really chuffed with it. At times the picture quality is breathtaking.

I do think sometimes that in getting an even bigger telly the picture quality is sacrificed a wee bit.

Quote Originally Posted by captain chaos View Post
    I have to agree with " Liz " we bought a 42" Full HD LCD TOSHIBA from John Lewis and it was reduced to £529... cheaper than any supplier on the Internet and comes with a John Lewis 5 year Gaurantee.

I thought long and hard before buying my telly as it was a considered purchase.
    Having bought one previously from a local retailer who gave very poor after care service, I decided to research into customer service and John Lewis always got very good feedback and that's why I bought from them. Well that and the five year warranty.
    Plus they will price match their televisions if you find it cheaper in a shop (not online) and this is what I did and so got an excellent deal which included free delivery and a television stand.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    37" is fine in the bedroom Liz. I dont mean that in a filthy way lol.

Surely it would fit! My livinroom is quite long. Wait til i get a bigger house, then i will definetely be buyin a 50"
    Poor Athrun will go cross eyed if you get one! You'll have to make sure all three lads sit well back.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Quote Originally Posted by Scarybiscuits03 View Post
    Thanks, I always feel like I have to justify myself sometimes for my posts on here so its nice to see a response like that......x
    Nae bother. Life is too short to worry about people not aggreeing with you.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

I was there too, and some bloke was reaching up to get some details about that TV - I asked him (as Mrs Beks was wavering) was Samsung better than Sony - wonder if it was you? Anyway bought the 32" Samsung - just put it together and Sky's coming out in a week to do the HD box thing..
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Bit of a tangent but for those who have it is Sky HD worth the extra tenner?

Without a Doubt YES and YES again. I now search through the HD Listings first and if I have to watch something that is not in HD I am not happy.

It was the best thing I ever did getting SKY HD TV, I Love it.

Dont go what Golach says as there is also all the History Channels, Nat Geo Channels, BBC, Channel 4 ect ect. 34 Channels in HD in fact and more to come.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Dont go what Golach says as there is also all the History Channels, Nat Geo Channels, BBC, Channel 4 ect ect. 34 Channels in HD in fact and more to come.
    Kodiak is right of course, I actually forgot about all the interesting channels I apologise
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Moonboots View Post
    Must admit it.. I think the plasma is far better a quality of TV. I was having a debate about this myself 2-3 years ago on which one to go for and opted for the plasma.. Thats the best choice i went for.. I know some people who have bought LCD's and they are not lasting long.. bought LCD's for the kids room and one tv has lost a pixel already...

LED.. i will have to test first... not sure what they will be like....
    Sorry moonboots but i have to disagree with you on this one i think my lcd has a lot better quality than your plasma i find my picture is a lot more clear even through the ps3 there is a big difference plus i have had mine a couple of year as you know and there ain't a single thing wrong with it.

we have to disagree sometimes lol

Quote Originally Posted by captain chaos View Post

I have spent a lot of time surfing for TV's for ourselves, the kids, friends etc and I find John Lewis to charge a premium on most of their TV's. They say there is no such thing as a free lunch and I would say that this applies to guarantees also. Don't get me wrong, a five year guarantee is excellent, but it is a fact that the TV's are cheaper elsewhere. I picked four random TV's from John Lewis's site today and had a quick price compare.

These are the results:-

Samsung LE32B450C John Lewis price £349 Dixons price £299

Toshiba 42RV655DB John Lewis price £699 Hiwayfi price £550

Sony Bravia KDL-37EX503 John Lewis price £799 Play.com price £720

Panasonic Viera TX-L37V10B John Lewis price £899 Laskys price £718

The retailers I quote all offered free delivery, I have personal experience of Dixons and Play and neither of those charge extra for delivery to Highlands, I cannot say for the others but the evidence seems to bear out my thoughts that John Lewis are factoring in the guarantee to the price. Happy shopping!!

Scorrie, John Lewis will price match if you find a telly cheaper in a bricks and mortar shop.

This is what I did and got a great deal. Also, it is worth paying a bit more in my opinion for good customer service as it can be a real hassle if something goes wrong and you are dealing with a retailer who isn't helpful.

I've got a Bush TV191D, it's dual standard, will this be OK with Sky HD?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast