Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tv.s

Default tv.s

i was in at tesco today and there was a tv that caught my eye for £465. which i thought was a good deal for a 42 inch tv.it was a samsung plasma tv.and i thought about it. and im sure that the plasmas are quite bad for blowing cylinders for its picture quality but not 100%. so any one that could help me out before i go and buy one would be much appreciated.

I've got 3 plasmas, the oldest being 4-5 years old and never had any probs with them.
    My mum had an lcd and it lasted a year before the picture started failing and my daugher has one in her room which has also failed so I'd vote plasma every time!
    In fact my mum has just replaced her lcd with that very same 42" samsung and it works a treat!

I would not have a Plasma TV but I would recommend getting a LCD TV. I have a LG3000 42" and it is really fantastic. Last I saw was that Tesco were selling it for £499 and that is a real bargain.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I would not have a Plasma TV but I would recommend getting a LCD TV. I have a LG3000 42" and it is really fantastic. Last I saw was that Tesco were selling it for £499 and that is a real bargain.
    Grr that bugs me! I got my Sony Bravia 37" LCD for that price! makes me angry cos now i want a 50" lol
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

We got a full HD panasonic 42in plasma telly and along with sky+HD the picture quality is second to none. We have a 32in samsung LCD full HD telly in the bedroom and although the picture is pretty damn good its nothing compared to the plasma.
    Who needs brakes, they only slow you down!!

Wait a little while until the LED TV's come down a bit in price - so much better than plasma and LCD

Quote Originally Posted by im behind you View Post
    i was in at tesco today and there was a tv that caught my eye for £465. which i thought was a good deal for a 42 inch tv.it was a samsung plasma tv.and i thought about it. and im sure that the plasmas are quite bad for blowing cylinders for its picture quality but not 100%. so any one that could help me out before i go and buy one would be much appreciated.
    Bought our 42 inch plasma 3 years ago when the price at that time was high - since then the prices have plumeted. Picture & performance on our one is exceptional but its a top manufacturer. However they use more energy then LCD's. Also you're not supposed to put the screen on hold as it will affect it.
    Knowledge talks - Wisdom listens

Samsung ARE a top manufacturer. Also LED is a lot more energy efficient than LCD and plasma.

I have a Panasonic Plasma and I find it much better than LCD. I find it gives a more 'natural' picture than LCD and doesn't give me eye strain which I got with my LCD.

As for the energy consumption this is a lot less with the newer models. Well with the top manufacturers anyway.

Amazon is a really good place to get honest reviews for televisons.

I'll second the panasonic plasma. Much faster than an lcd.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I'll second the panasonic plasma. Much faster than an lcd.
    Yes it was thanks to you that I got my Panasonic Plasma and am soooo glad I did. I love it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Grr that bugs me! I got my Sony Bravia 37" LCD for that price! makes me angry cos now i want a 50" lol
    Och behave yersel Shelley. Bigger isna always better!

Seriously though 37" is a fine size for a medium size living room.

I think it's the usual battle - it depends on what you have and you will back it up! As said before I've had both and I'd def go for plasma, lasted a long time and better value for money, especially at todays prices (I paid more than I should have - 3 YEARS AGO) I asked the same question at the time and I took advice from a professional and it paid off! Plasma for me - unless you can afford the new LED but Im waiting til its tried and tested! x

Must admit it.. I think the plasma is far better a quality of TV. I was having a debate about this myself 2-3 years ago on which one to go for and opted for the plasma.. Thats the best choice i went for.. I know some people who have bought LCD's and they are not lasting long.. bought LCD's for the kids room and one tv has lost a pixel already...

LED.. i will have to test first... not sure what they will be like....

It depends on what you want it for.

For using it to watch tv or films LED is best, for games a big plasma (42" or larger) and if you want small bedroom tv's LCD everytime. It really does depend on what you want it for.

LED are low power usage but are pron to lag in visual processing.

Plasma have a good refresh rate but have high power usage and are prone to plasma burn.

LCD are perfect for small sizes. Lower power usage than plasma but are not as good over 32" than plasma on visual quailty.

We own a 32" LCD and it does the job but it is nothing special. My partner uses the LCD for gaming purposes only. We also have a new stlye samsung 55" LED which we use for connecting to the pc and the rare tv use. We don't use the LED for the xbox 360 as refresh is too slow.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    It depends on what you want it for.

For using it to watch tv or films LED is best, for games a big plasma (42" or larger) and if you want small bedroom tv's LCD everytime. It really does depend on what you want it for.

LED are low power usage but are pron to lag in visual processing.

Plasma have a good refresh rate but have high power usage and are prone to plasma burn.

LCD are perfect for small sizes. Lower power usage than plasma but are not as good over 32" than plasma on visual quailty.

We own a 32" LCD and it does the job but it is nothing special. My partner uses the LCD for gaming purposes only. We also have a new stlye samsung 55" LED which we use for connecting to the pc and the rare tv use. We don't use the LED for the xbox 360 as refresh is too slow.

Sorry but I disagree - which I dont like to do!
    The only lcd we have is a 19" and it failed after 1.5 yrs - 42" plasmas are all still working perfect (I have to add that one is working above a fully op radiator and still going strong) but like I said before, personal experience is always different - my opinion, if it canna last that long on such a small screen - bin it off! Plasma is my pref.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarybiscuits03 View Post
    Sorry but I disagree - which I dont like to do!
    The only lcd we have is a 19" and it failed after 1.5 yrs - 42" plasmas are all still working perfect (I have to add that one is working above a fully op radiator and still going strong) but like I said before, personal experience is always different - my opinion, if it canna last that long on such a small screen - bin it off! Plasma is my pref.
    No need to apologise, if you don't agree you don't agree

My mum and step dad have a 32" LCD and they've had it for 2 years now and no sign of any bother at all. It reallt boils down to individual expereince.

To me a tv is a tv i only use them as a computer screen anyway I don't much like the LED one we have but that is only because it is way too big for my liking. I call it the door My partner's plasma tv that he uses for his xbox 360 is at least 6 years old and so far no plasma burns.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    Good god woman your living room ain't big enough to fit a door sized tv in it!

No need to apologise, if you don't agree you don't agree

My mum and step dad have a 32" LCD and they've had it for 2 years now and no sign of any bother at all. It reallt boils down to individual expereince.

To me a tv is a tv i only use them as a computer screen anyway I don't much like the LED one we have but that is only because it is way too big for my liking. I call it the door My partner's plasma tv that he uses for his xbox 360 is at least 6 years old and so far no plasma burns.

Thanks, I always feel like I have to justify myself sometimes for my posts on here so its nice to see a response like that......x

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Och behave yersel Shelley. Bigger isna always better!

Seriously though 37" is a fine size for a medium size living room.
    37" is fine in the bedroom Liz. I dont mean that in a filthy way lol.

Good god woman your living room ain't big enough to fit a door sized tv in it!
    Surely it would fit! My livinroom is quite long. Wait til i get a bigger house, then i will definetely be buyin a 50"
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast