Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Jack Hamer, with 4/5th Seaforths in Wick pre WW2

Diyhell Guest

Default Jack Hamer, with 4/5th Seaforths in Wick pre WW2

Am visiting Wick on Thurs 25th May/Fri 26th May in search of some background to my grandfather, John/Jack Hamer's, secondment from the Scots Guards to the 4/5th Seaforths for 2-3 years (?) prior to WW2. He went to France with the 4th Battalion as part of the ill-fated British Expenditary Force in 1939.

He had a son Michael in 1938 whilst he was in Wick who died after 2 weeks and I presume is buried there. Does anyone have any idea where his grave might be?

Default Jack Hamer / Wick

I hope you have a successful trip to Wick .
    I think the baby would have been buried in Wick Cemetery on the South Road. Probably in 1938, the Old Cemetery.
    Do you have an address for where the parents would have lived? Many couples with young families lodged with local people.

Good Luck,
    Trinkie

Michael Hamer is buried in Wick Cemetery Section I, Lair 391 and was buried on 9/9/1938. There is no stone on the grave but the Lair was bought by John Hamer, Instructor, Rifle Hall, Wick. The Cemetery is on the South Road.
    I could take you to the grave site but unfortunately I no longer stay in Wick.
    As you go into the main gate of the cemetery passing the lodge on your RHS then Section I is the first big section on your right. Lair 391 is in top RH corner. Hope this helps
    Bill

Diyhell Guest

Thanks Bill - I'm amazed and incredibly greatful.

And Jack and his wife Joan did indeed stay at the Rifle Hall Trinkie, which I believe is still a TA recruiting office according to a quick web search? They left at the outbreak of war, Jack going off to France where he was captured and held as a POW for the length of the war. Joan went south to Bath to stay with her sister.

Although they visited they never came back to stay. I moved to Edinburgh 10 years or so ago so its a bit easy to chase this part of the family history up!