Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Smelly Car A/C Coolers

Default Smelly Car A/C Coolers

Now that the warm weather has arrived I have put my air cooler in the car on for the first time since last summer but it is giving off a big pong like sweaty feet. Does this mean that it needs cleaning or fixing as it doesn't seem to be going away and it irritates me chest. If so, is it a big job to clean it or will I need to go to garage?

Thanks in advance!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

maybe some one has decided to play a prank on you mate, and put a sweaty sock in your air con unit.
    now you will have to go round all yer mates to see who has the smell to match.
    good luck hope you get it sussed soon
    The man who views the world at fifty,
    the same as he did at twenty,
    has wasted thirty years of his life.

That.. actually flashed through my mind!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    That.. actually flashed through my mind!
    so you got some dodgy mates to..... i know someone who hid a bit of mackeral under the dash of a mates car and it took him weeks to find out what the smell was never mind where it came from
    The man who views the world at fifty,
    the same as he did at twenty,
    has wasted thirty years of his life.

I remember ages ago seeing in a bettweware catalogue an aerosol can that you spray in your car then leave the ac in your car running for 10 mins and you get out. Kills off gersm and smells i thing. You can prob get a can from Halfords or Autoparts poss.

A tip I got told ages ago to keep yopur AC from smelling, and from it also losing the refridgerant gas is to run the AC for a few mins every week, even over winter. Just keeps everyting tickin over.

Another tip that I find works is, when you get moisture inside your front window turn the heater on full blast to hot, and put the AC on as this acts as a dehumidifier and removed the moisture quicker.
    Eagle my fly, but when was the last time you heard of a weasel being sucked into a jet engine?

It is possible that your AC unit wants "Gassing up". Your Garage should be able to put it right for a small charge. It only takes a few minutes.
    You can fool some of the people some of the time - but never all of the people all of the time!!

Aircon units often have mould growing between the fins of the evaporator due to condensation forming there, this is the cause of the smell. You can get sprays to kill off the mould but it comes back very quickly as the fins will also be partially clogged with dust and fluff. The best solution is to take the evaporator out and give it a good clean, this will also restore efficiency.

As Scaraben suggests it is a good idea to run the system on a weekly basis, even during winter, to prevent the clutch and compressor seizing up and the numerous O-ring seals drying out and leaking.